Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

bonescraper

I'm playing it at the moment, and it's better than the originals. Suck it you pretentious nerds. :smug:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Christ, I'm gone for 12 hours and you add five pages to the thread.

Spellcaster said:
agentorange said:
So they took those awful final levels of Thief Gold
The fuck you're talking about? The four last missions are the Cathedral, which is, fuck, The Goddamn Cathedral Level™; Escape, which was pretty cool even if barely possible to ghost through (and by ghost I mean really ghost, not just blackjacking all the monsters); Strange Bedfellows which was great in its own creepy way and successfully presented the sense of desperation of what's happening with the ascencion of the Trickster (with even the Hammerite compound being fucked up); and finally the Maw, which I've always seen as, by far, the most underrated level in TDP and generally speaking one of the most underrated final stages I've seen. Compare it to HL1's Xen for instance, it'll give you a notion on how an alien level can be stupidly terrible if done wrong. It was linear, yeah, but the Maw feels like a descent to pure madness, the heart of nature's chaotic style, and it achieved the whole notion masterfully.

TDP itself is supposed to be a very chaotic game, that's its premise in the first place. It is a weird - in a good way - game, and we'll never see a game like that again because people (like you) just don't get it. See Errant Signal's video on Thief as proof, he also doesn't get it.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

As for TMA, Soulforge Cathedral is a huge mission that grows on you. Replay it over the years and you'll start to see how truly awesome and well designed it is, trust me. Been there, done that. If you're talking about the ending cutscene though, yes, it's a pretty damn sharp cliffhanger at the last seconds, but it comes after lots of REALLY satisfactory scenes. If you don't like the rest of the cutscene with Karras, what the hell is wrong with you?

Spellcaster said:
agentorange said:
I am specifically talking about Escape and Into the Maw. And Lol. bro. they were shit. They were a complete shift in tone and gameplay style and were extremely messy in layout. It was the same shit as the Many levels in SS2.

As for Soulforge Cathedral, the level felt like a mod; too large in scale with too little to fill it out, and a series of pathetically repetitive fetch quests to fill it out.

Edit: Actually saying Soulforge feels like mod is an insult, since there are so many Fan Missions that are far better designed.

Why is Escape or Maw a change in tone? What would you describe as TDP's "tone"? A game that jumps from Bafford manor to haunted mines to prison to catacombs to Ramirez mansion to Thieves guild to Constantine's madhouse to abandoned city to mages guild...

Dark Project is crazy diversity embodied, and it builds up on the chaotic theme. When the Trickster reveals himself, everything goes even further into that direction, but it's not as if this was Metal Age levels of cohesion before that. That's exactly the beauty of TDP though, and I saddens me to see that with each year it gets harder (even among Thief fans) to find people that are into this. Just because TMA is vastly more digestible it doesn't mean it's directly the better game, and this is coming from a guy that used to be a "TMA is better" zealot.

Not just because it came first, but as a whole, TDP's existence is much more important. As a designer myself, it almost feels like a study on how far can you push diversity and crazyness without breaking the whole thing apart or turning it into a drug trip for the sake of being "durr kool". Because of people's increasingly aversion to its nature it's becoming more of a past's curiosity though, which is terrible just to think about.

As for "changes in gameplay", I'd definitely disagree. What changes? Just because there are monsters it doesn't mean you have to fight them, keep going with the stealth and that's it.

I think Spellcaster's being a little too hard on agentorange here, especially since he has a very valid point. By the time a player has finished the Cathredal and finally nabbed The Eye, they've been through 12 very large maps that keep changing in variety and style, forcing the player to adapt to new circumstances with almost every mission. Not only that, there's been a visible build-up towards a climax which is finally achieved by nabbing The Eye, handing it over and collecting that huge reward. We know how that goes, so what does the game do next? The game goes "Oh no, I'm not done with you yet! Here's yet another new scenario for you to go through; half-dead with no equipment and dealing with monsters you haven't encountered before!" In Escape! the player can choose to be a thief to get through it, but then the mission actually gets harder, all the same previous gameplay elements apply, except you get more trouble than it's worth. The level is designed to tell you to get out, fast.

Same thing with Strange Bedfellows, there's a sense of urgency about it, and the game actually punishes the player with a mandatory objective if he chooses to go full Thief in it. Finally, The Maw is little more than a corridor with an obstacle course. All three missions have a sense of urgency to them because it's the final act of the game; it's time to Pick Up The Pace. They are different, they have a different tone, and it's intentional. Doesn't mean that they're any worse than the others, but they're not as full in content, on purpose.

Compare this to the end of Thief 2. Let's start with the double feature of Casing the Joint and Masks. By then Thief 2 is into the final act, and yet Garrett is sent on some strange chase into a noble's mansion to case a place and then rob it later? That's not Picking Up The Pace, that's smashing it with a hammer and dragging things on for too long. Unfortunately, Sabotage at Soulforge does much of the same. The stuff with the antenna relays is just another Multi-Lock Puzzle thrown at the player at the very end of the game for no other reason than filler. Soulforge should have been shortened, condensed and streamlined to be more fitting as the end-game material of Thief 2, and the excised parts should have been used in another mission earlier on. The concept of using Mechanist machines to create stuff is nice, but ultimately drags things on for too long. Likewise, going through 8 different locales is a nice idea, but it's in the completely wrong place. What little sense of urgency has been instilled quickly peters out. Hell, you can go heckle Karras in his "bunker" in full view without failing the mission, try doing that with the Trickster or Gamall and see what happens. For this reason, and so many others, we really need(ed) Thief 2 Gold.

Speaking of Gamall, Thief 3. The final mission is really the Museum, which isn't that hard or lengthy, but it's used as a look back at where Garrett and the Thief series have been, right from the start. The final part of the game involves running through the streets, dodging Gamall and her stone cronies (stonies?) and getting the artifacts in place. A real sense of urgency is instilled in the player here, Gamall is a real threat as she can spot the player in all but the darkest shadows, and is quick to kill Garrett if given the chance. The climax is even bigger than in Thief Gold, as it covers three games instead of one.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I pre-ordered nineteen months ago to get my preorder bonus: Exclusive Dr. Pepper Slurpee & Inferno Doritos Thirstquenching SnackQuake Double XP Bonus Garrett SneakCitement DLC

"Fill your SneakCitement meter and get twice as many SneakPoints you can use to update your skills as you steal, stab, swoop, sneak, slice and sling your way to victory!"

infinite-tom-selleck.png

retardation

Learned
Total Biscuit, John Walker, Yahtzasd... I'm disappointed in you guys.

If I created a 50-minutes TV piece to explain something, I'd get fired. As for John Walker, he just doesn't care.

Bobbix

I got paid to like Thi4f
EM took some of the good things about the originals,left out the bad ones, and added some new "modern" features.But noooooo. All the damned diehard fans for whom Thief means more than their own mothers hated the idea of a Thief being made for todays standards.
And now, we have a Thief 4, a reboot, set during the time-frame of The City of old; and it seems that a good number of the diehard fans don't even want to give it a chance, and are pissed off it was even made.

Meanwhile, i'm playing the game and enjoying it more than all thiefs combined, 8/10 game atleast.

Divinity: Original Sin
EM took some of the good things about the originals,left out the bad ones, and added some new "modern" features.But noooooo. All the damned diehard fans for whom Thief means more than their own mothers hated the idea of a Thief being made for todays standards.
And now, we have a Thief 4, a reboot, set during the time-frame of The City of old; and it seems that a good number of the diehard fans don't even want to give it a chance, and are pissed off it was even made.

Meanwhile, i'm playing the game and enjoying it more than all thiefs combined, 8/10 game atleast.

Hope you like it more than your mother...

Angthoron

Arcane
EA took some of the good things about the originals,left out the bad ones, and added some new "modern" features.But noooooo. All the damned diehard fans for whom Dungeon Keeper means more than their own mothers hated the idea of a Dungeon Keeper being made for todays standards.
And now, we have a Dungeon Keeper, a reboot, set during the time-frame of The Dungeon of old; and it seems that a good number of the diehard fans don't even want to give it a chance, and are pissed off it was even made.

Meanwhile, i'm playing the game and enjoying it more than all DKs combined, 11/10 game atleast.

Enchanted.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Whenever it is a highly respected and anticipated release reviewers feel like they have to tow the line.

The correct idiom is "toe the line," meaning to place one's metaphorical toes directly on the line drawn by the relevant company, bureaucracy, industry, etc.

Oesophagus

Arcane
EM took some of the good things about the originals the name and prestige, left out the bad ones the open levels, the interesting lore and factions, the pretty art style, and added some new "modern" features awesome button and emotional (c) engagement (c).

fixed that for ya

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom