Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

Oesophagus

Arcane
Interesting, The Telegraphs scathingly negative review got pulled off Metacritic in under an hour, and none of the other negative ones besides Giant Bomb (not even Kotaku) have shown up yet. I wonder what's going on over there.
That Telegraph review is really good, does the 'dex have a mole in there?

Black_Willow

Arcane
Interesting, The Telegraphs scathingly negative review got pulled off Metacritic in under an hour, and none of the other negative ones besides Giant Bomb (not even Kotaku) have shown up yet. I wonder what's going on over there.
bribe.jpg

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
That Telegraph review is really good, does the 'dex have a mole in there?

Aside from the names of a couple of characters, there is very little here to make you feel that you’re playing a Thief game rather than, I don’t know, Powercut Parkour: Emo Edition or Palace of Westminster Burgling Sim 2013.

Ouch :lol:

Other aspects of the game seem designed to underline this implausibility. An early mission tasks you with infiltrating a jeweller’s shop and cracking the safe as the proprietor potters about on the other side of the room. Well, ‘potters about’ might be too strong a phrase — what he’s actually doing is moving with robotic predictability between two adjacent tables, reciting out loud the contents of a letter he is supposed to be writing. Sneaking over and pocketing the letter while he’s occupied at the next table makes no difference; he returns to his desk and continues blankly summarising its contents out loud. Stealing the elaborate gold vessels from the other table makes similarly little impression; he stares impassively at the empty space and continues repeating his monologue. Douse the nearby candle, however, and he howls “I’VE GOT SO MUCH TO LIVE FOR” and runs for the police, whose search can then be foiled by hiding in the room’s only cupboard. This, by the way, is on the hardest difficulty setting.

:lol:

This REALLY is a good review. It's actually even better than Sneakybastards'

Machocruz

Arcane
It's just video games, but I think it's a good idea for people to start seeing shit like this as an act of outright hostility towards them, and act accordingly. I was discussing Lost Planet 3 with someone earlier. That's another game that is so lazy, so pointless that I was on the verge of anger just thinking about it and the kind of contempt and cynicism it shows on the part of the publisher, the amount of disrespect for the player's time and money. It's worse than being a poorly made game. A bad game can still exhibit some vision or an honest attempt at entertainment or innovation. Lost Planet 2 had some major flaws, but it also had some really impressive boss fights, a decent amount of content for an action game, and some challenge. But laziness and dishonesty at $50-60 a pop is a middle finger at the consumer.

Name

Cipher
Wow, Square Enix is totally killing all those Eidos franchises.
They started strong with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, then went retarded with an iOS game, and now Deus Ex: UNIVERSE? They need to add subtitle to franchise now?
And Hitman: Absolution, totally cinematic and always on the run.
Tomb Raider... it's OK... if only it's not a Tomb Raider game... see the entire Definitive Edition is composed of the Croft girling killing random people in all kinds of ways.
Then they waste Legacy of Kain on another F2P game.
Finally the development hell... Thief...

Azazel

Arbiter
I am frankly amazed, especially with Colonial Marines where it can be demonstrated that the marketing demos are not actually from the same build of the game at all, that there has not been a deceptive marketing lawsuit against a game publisher yet. At what point is it not fair, say in the case of B:Infinite for example, to go "Ok, very little of anything you demonstrated mechanically is present in the finished build, regardless that the art assets are more or less the same throughout, this is basically a scam."

Is it a bait and switch scam to start marketing a game 5 years before release, especially if it changes significantly during that time and somehow worse no less?

Tom Selleck

Arcane
So, I heard this is coming out pretty soon. Are you all excited yet? Who Pre-Ordered already?

I pre-ordered nineteen months ago to get my preorder bonus: Exclusive Dr. Pepper Slurpee & Inferno Doritos Thirstquenching SnackQuake Double XP Bonus Garrett SneakCitement DLC

"Fill your SneakCitement meter and get twice as many SneakPoints you can use to update your skills as you steal, stab, swoop, sneak, slice and sling your way to victory!"

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll be honest. I never really played any game in the Thief series. I do own them on GoG though.

And I am actually tempted to play them in this order : 4=>3=>1=>2 for the pretty same reason a Star Wars marathon should begin by the prequel trilogy : it only gets better and better.

1 is just as good as 2. Better atmosphere, variety. T2 could have been better and there is the odd brilliant level but it really peters out towards the end. Yes it's more focused by nailing the 'Thief' elements as T1 still seemed unsure as to the direction it wanted to take: action or stealth, but IMO it made for a more complete experience. I can never decide which is the better game. They are equal for slightly different reasons.

Telengard

Arcane
They started strong with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, then went retarded with an iOS game, and now Deus Ex: UNIVERSE? They need to add subtitle to franchise now?
Tomb Raider... it's OK... if only it's not a Tomb Raider game... see the entire Definitive Edition is composed of the Croft girling killing random people in all kinds of ways.
Ya know, when you put all their games together like that, it made me realize. A Hitman where killing targets isn't your main objective. A Tomb Raider where raiding tombs is optional. And a Thief where stealing things is completely optional.

Well now.

What's next Eidos? An FPS where you can be a complete pacifist and not even do a single non-lethal attack? A racer where you sit in the passenger seat the entire time? A city sim where it's a total valid choice to just build roads and no buildings?

Gotta keep that gamer empowered to play the game he want to play the way he wants to play it. Just because he bought a first-person shooter doesn't mean he wants to shoot people.

Angthoron

Arcane
Telegraph is there. They're just in different categories for some reason - Telegraph is in PS4 section, GiantBomb in PC, and EGM in XB1. Weird how they're not reporting cross-platform, but it's all there, glorious 40-35% reviews. Also, trorru fans are starting to appear, giving 0s and 1s to this passionate interpretation of an outdated classic.

Angthoron

Arcane
Ya know, when you put all their games together like that, it made me realize. A Hitman where killing targets isn't your main objective. A Tomb Raider where raiding tombs is optional. And a Thief where stealing things is completely optional.

Well now.

What's next Eidos? An FPS where you can be a complete pacifist and not even do a single non-lethal attack? A racer where you sit in the passenger seat the entire time? A city sim where it's a total valid choice to just build roads and no buildings?

Gotta keep that gamer empowered to play the game he want to play the way he wants to play it. Just because he bought a first-person shooter doesn't mean he wants to shoot people.
An italian plumber sidescroller without the need to jump, because that'd not be inclusive to coma patients.
A horse race sim with optional horse disabling for equuphobes.
A submarine sim with health regen.
Pacman where you see teeth and lips of the Pacman in first perspective - except when you do a cinematic takedown of a ghost. Except ghosts are now real people - girls that Pacman dated, and who, for some reason, haunt him. Internalizing a ghost opens up meaningful narrative experience in a form of a QTE cutscene that you can't lose.

Hire me, Squeenix.

Sonus

Educated
Again, no, this is not game journos suddenly being competent. This is a political failure of Eidos-Montreal somewhere.
I suspect a lot of these reviewers are trying to establish journalistic cred by bashing a safe target. In a sense, it is an ugly spectacle: the dregs of humanity lynching one of their own. :obviously:
Well, as long as those who are not bashing to stay safe with the publisher balance it out.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well. obviously. You would look for any excuse to play rubbish.

Uh... okay. I haven't played a video game in like three months, but yes, I am desperate for the next AAA hack-job, someone please PM me a Steam code.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I suspect a lot of these reviewers are trying to establish journalistic cred by bashing a safe target. In a sense, it is an ugly spectacle: the dregs of humanity lynching one of their own. :obviously:

Agreed, and they do it often. Whenever there is some blood in the water before release all the reviewers feel like it's safe to attack the game. Whenever it is a highly respected and anticipated release reviewers feel like they have to tow the line. I doubt most of them even do this consciously, it's just subconscious weak human behavior.

MapMan

Arcane
I want to be a thiaf

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom