Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

AngryKobold

Arcane
Steam users are in real hurry to see how a crap looks like.

Data4

Arcane
Looking over at the TTLG forums, I've noticed some uneasy praise for the game. I'm trying to figure out which of the classic stages of grief they're in. At first glance, it seems like it's still denial, but I'm wondering if this forced liking of "some parts of it" mark a transition into bargaining. Hmmm....

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looking over at the TTLG forums, I've noticed some uneasy praise for the game. I'm trying to figure out which of the classic stages of grief they're in. At first glance, it seems like it's still denial, but I'm wondering if this forced liking of "some parts of it" mark a transition into bargaining. Hmmm....

TTLG is one part Thief fan mission site, one part stealth gaming version of RPGWatch. Don't expect too much from them.

(the stealth gaming version of RPGCodex is the RPGCodex General Gaming board :smug: )

Divinity: Original Sin
At least I reinstalled Thief thanks to this turd. :love:

Well, I decided to install the HD textures to see what it was about. It's fine and doesn't mess up your thief installation, and it's ability to play the FMs. And I'm playing the true thief 4, the dark mod. Man, there's a lot of FMs around to play... I hope this trainwreck that is thiaf make people build new levels for all thiefs that came before.

Azazel

Arbiter

Well, I decided to install the HD textures to see what it was about. It's fine and doesn't mess up your thief installation, and it's ability to play the FMs. And I'm playing the true thief 4, the dark mod. Man, there's a lot of FMs around to play... I hope this trainwreck that is thiaf make people build new levels for all thiefs that came before.

Some of them are really quite good, mostly the stained glass and anything that was just up-rezzed original textures. Most of it makes levels look like terrible doom mods, just completely out of place and at odds with the geometry. Since many of the original textures were low-res photographs of actual architecture in Europe and their placement was very deliberate even in FM's, it's unsurprising that a Skyrim-style texture replacement isn't appropriate here.

Turjan

Arcane
As it's a Steamworks title, the play statistics should catch all copies of the game, regardless where they were bought, right? So, today's peak was higher than that of Banished, but given that it's the first day it was available in some regions, that's not too much of a success statement. Currently, games like Banished and Terraria are beating it.

Also, Banished has also been sold without Steamworks, so the actual numbers of that game are even higher.

Some of them are really quite good, mostly the stained glass and anything that was just up-rezzed original textures. Most of it makes levels look like terrible doom mods, just completely out of place and at odds with the geometry. Since many of the original textures were low-res photographs of actual architecture in Europe and their placement was very deliberate even in FM's, it's unsurprising that a Skyrim-style texture replacement isn't appropriate here.

My main complaint is that it's too much high-res...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
On a positive note: they did not mess with the previous factions - Hammerites, Pagans or Keepers. Imagine the butt-hurt if they did. Right?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Edit: oh, forgot to mention, this Swapper thing has much, much more atmosphere than Thi4f, and the sounds and music are so fucking good it's HEAVAN. How pleasant it is to play something well made for a change.

So you've gone from taffing to swapping?

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Thing is, what's the point in reviving the Thief franchise at all for this shitty reboot if you aren't going to use ANY of the things established in the previous series, apart from the bare bones of water arrows putting out torches and the names Garrett, Basso and Jeniviere. It really was just a shameless cash grab that had no reason at all to use the Thief name. Even a game as lore rape as Fallout 3 at least took a ton of shit from previous Fallouts so it could be identified as Fallout, as horrible a comparison as it is.

There were Hammers, Mechanists, Keepers, Pagans, tons of shit to mix up and shove into a shitty remake, but instead they wanted to be super special and make the brand new Thiaf which has nothing to do with Thief in the slightest. This could have been called The Tale of Garrote The Master Assassin and nobody would have been able to link it to the Thief franchise even if they tried. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pissed off that they didn't butcher the previous factions, I'm glad, for sure, but the fact that they didn't takes away the entire point as to why anyone would want to use the franchise as the basis for their game.

Drakron

Arcane
Thing is, what's the point in reviving the Thief franchise at all for this shitty reboot if you aren't going to use ANY of the things established in the previous series, apart from the bare bones of water arrows putting out torches and the names Garrett, Basso and Jeniviere.

Same thing happened with Tomb Raider, even if in that case the series could use a reboot because it was getting too heavy.

The problem is this, they have a IP but cannot be arsed to build upon the foundations laid by previous games and on the other hand they want to play the nostalgia card by fan service so we get a reboot that is a excuse to just half-ass things without building, just recycle for nostalgia.

This is why all the reboots (Hitman, Tomb Raider and Thief) been pretty much not well received as the prequel to Deus Ex was because Deus Ex wasnt a reboot with JC Denton but rather a prequel story with a new character.

Its the attempt at cashing in on a name without putting a effort to live up to that name using "reboot" as a excuse to do whatever they want.

This is why all the reboots (Hitman, Tomb Raider and Thief) been pretty much not well received as the prequel to Deus Ex was because Deus Ex wasnt a reboot with JC Denton but rather a prequel story with a new character.

Hitman absolution is not a reboot, it's a sequel. But with that game Eidos followed its principles of shiting on their previous games in a franchise.

when you thought the rape was complete...

2445498-1998.png

Last edited:

Sonus

Educated
They really shot themselves in the foot with all the talk of DNA and being the same but different, saying Carrott is Garrett, saying this and that are essentially the same, instead of being honest with themselves.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
At least they put a lot of effort into it:

Today we’re revealing the brand new 1998 Mode, which challenges gamers to complete the narrative using only non-lethal tools.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
1999 mode was such bullshit HP bloat nonsense in the main game, I don't trust them to do a worthwhile mode in the DLC.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, adding more HP, one-shot main character and low damages is not the way the old school work, especially when AI suck, story suck and game overall.

they want to play the nostalgia card by fan service
Seriously? Old fans know the reboot will be bad even before release. Why? Because they got better knowledge about their favourige game than any gaem jurnalio or reviewer, obviously.
No, nostalgia is not the factor.
The thing is the info about "some IP from the past that was famous", to remake with modern standards. And woops - old games doesn't fit to modern times. So... total reboot time! We still call it "faithful to the roots" anyway (plus other PR bullcrap)...

Anyway - seems like old fans were asimilated (like Borg) to modern gaming so playing on nostalgia is not that important.
Except when you want more butthurt that must flow today to turning up the business.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom