Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

It's much better on low details.

This game is a disaster. A complete trainwreck :lol:

DraQ

Arcane
So, get this. There's a mission where you're infiltrating the baron's manor, there's guards all over the place, scouring the courtyard. Okay, so one of the ways in (possibly the only way in, knowing this game) is by shooting an arrow at a rope that is holding a large crate, which you mantle on to and climb up the building and so on and so forth.

Thing is, there are 3 guards in the immediate vicinity, and the crate falling makes a fuckhuge noise compared to, I don't know, the sound of Garrett stepping on a shard of glass. The crate falling however is not noticed in the slightest by the guards, they completely ignore a huge crate falling 5 meters on to the ground with a large crashing noise.

This fascinated me so much I alt-tabbed out and posted it here. Quite possibly one of the most immersive games I've played.
:lol:
:hero:
  • Animations for fucking everything that take the control away from you every 5 seconds
Such animations would be a good idea IF they would integrate seamlessly with the rest of the gameplay - for example game actually showing you swiping a key off the desk as you pass by, without taking away your control or stopping your movement.

• The contextual jumping severely limits your movement, sometimes you see a stack of boxes that looks like it could be an alternate way into a building but you absolutely cannot mantle/jump on it, this game is very fucking linear in its level design overall, there's no two ways about most things, it's all a straight line to the next objective if you take out the optional side rooms with desks with 6 drawers with a fucking 1-gold's-worth spoon in one of them
Similarly, contextual anything may be a good idea if the game has fully automatic way of determining where you can use what.
Else, it's pure fucking lunacy, not just from player's but also developer's POV - not only do you have to make the environments themselves, but also script every single point where you think player may want to jump or mantle onto something.
It's doubling your workload without any gain.

buzz

Arcane

IT DOESN'T WORK ON MY SHITTY TOASTER, COMPLETE TRAINWRECK CAN I GET BROFISTS?
Some of you try a bit too hard.

Wait, let me put another one.

THE MAIN MENU DOES NOT HAVE THE MECHANICAL/GEAR STUFF LIKE THE FIRST THIEF GAMES DID, COMPLETE FUCKING TRAIN-WRECK OFF DA RAILZ

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, when you consider what a shitty state the game was in just a year ago, is it really surprising that it's a technical mess?

IT DOESN'T WORK ON MY SHITTY TOASTER, COMPLETE TRAINWRECK CAN I GET BROFISTS?
Some of you try a bit too hard.

Wait, let me put another one.

THE MAIN MENU DOES NOT HAVE THE MECHANICAL/GEAR STUFF LIKE THE FIRST THIEF GAMES DID, COMPLETE FUCKING TRAIN-WRECK OFF DA RAILZ

I'm not talking about technical requirements, you imbecile. It's the least of this game's problems.

zwanzig_zwoelf

FFS, Thiaf runs on my PC better than DX:HR - Jewish Cut.
Fuck you, Eidos Montreal. I don't even want to assume how The Fall with run, since most of the games that use Unity run like crap on my PC.
Even Shadowrun Returns falls to 20-25 fps from time to time.

Gord

Arcane
Still, I can't be bothered to play it... but now that the game is released, why Garrett has a glowing eye? they explain that at all?

Well, Garrett had a mechanical eye, that he got from the Hammerites after he lost his real eye at the end of the Dark Project. As to Garrott's glowing eye, I have no fucking idea...

It seems they took a cargo-cult approach to the setting.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck you, Eidos Montreal. I don't even want to assume how The Fall with run, since most of the games that use Unity run like crap on my PC.

What does Unity have to do with anything?

The Fall doesn't use Unity, it uses DX:HR's proprietary engine (originally the engine of one of the Tomb Raider games, IIRC)

derp

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
Another nitpicky doubt:

Are all locked doors lock-pickable? Or there are keys? And on the door subject, the aforementioned doors that you can peek and see CGI characters making sex, can you actually open those doors and surprise the lovers, and blackjacking them both?

I ask this obviously to anyone who was brave enough to touch this game.

zwanzig_zwoelf

What does Unity have to do with anything?

The Fall doesn't use Unity, it uses DX:HR's proprietary engine (originally the engine of one of the Tomb Raider games, IIRC)
Can't say about PC version, since it's not out yet, but iOS/Android version of The Fall uses Unity.

Confirmed by both wikipedia and closer look at the game data (specifically, Unity 4 + Audiokinetic Wwise).

Another nitpicky doubt:

Are all locked doors lock-pickable? Or there are keys? And on the door subject, the aforementioned doors that you can peek and see CGI characters making sex, can you actually open those doors and surprise the lovers, and blackjacking them both?

I ask this obviously to anyone who was brave enough to touch this game.
No.
There are tons of static doors in this game.
Funny thing is, however, some of the buildings with those static doors can be accessed using the window.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't say about PC version, since it's not out yet, but iOS/Android version of The Fall uses Unity.

Confirmed by both wikipedia and closer look at the game data (specifically, Unity 4 + Audiokinetic Wwise).

Hah, so it does: https://unity3d.com/showcase/profiles/nfusion-eidosmontreal-deusex-thefall

And here I thought they'd put the effort into porting their engine to iOS. I guess starting from scratch on Unity is actually easier.

The performance will probably be okay though because it works on a phone.

Vival

Erudite
Still, I can't be bothered to play it... but now that the game is released, why Garrett has a glowing eye? they explain that at all?

The more glowing shit you have on you, the more stealthy that makes you! Didn't Alpha Protocol or Splinter Cell teach you anything?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Hah, so it does: https://unity3d.com/showcase/profiles/nfusion-eidosmontreal-deusex-thefall

And here I thought they'd put the effort into porting their engine to iOS. I guess starting from scratch on Unity is actually easier.

The performance will probably be okay though because it works on a phone.
Different team, different engine, different kind of shit.

The modified Crystal Dynamics Engine (DX:HR engine) would probably lag like hell, since it streams a lot of data while the game runs (which is one of the reasons the game lags in hubs). Say thanks to Xbox 360 with its shitty 512 megs of memory.

7/10

Learned
I really like, how Gerrett's ability to use Focus is explained by the storyline, which means it's not just some gimmicky mechanic to make the game more accessible to idiots - it's an actual superpower Gerrett got when he fell into that magicky vortex, which makes the whole thing even more retarded than it needed to be.

Edit: Actually, he doesn't seem to have a glowing eye in the tutorial cutscenes, which might explain where he got it from. This game seems to have yet undiscovered layers of retardery.

Last edited:

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
If anyone has to play the game, at least don't bother with looting the city in-between missions. In all those rooms, fifty or so by now I guess, there's absolutely not a soul in any of them. No tension, no challenge. They put a locked 5-locks chest in an empty room, just for you to waste more time.

Actually, even with guards patrolling houses in missions, still there's no tension. No need to time much your movements, no need to pick a lock before a guard comes back, nothing in that sense. So far it's just avoiding their routes.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I really like, how Gerrett's ability to use Focus is explained by the storyline, which means it's not just some gimmicky mechanic to make the game more accessible to idiots - it's an actual superpower Gerrett got when he fell into that magicky vortex, which makes the whole thing even more retarded than it needed to be.

Edit: Actually, he doesn't seem to have a glowing eye in the tutorial cutscenes, which might explain where he got it from. This game seems to have yet undiscovered layers of retardery.
Yeah they said that the eye is what gives him the power to be a master thief. Which people here spoke up against saying in the original Garrett was a master thief because he was a master thief no magic involved.

It's carnival here in Rio so it means mini vacations for everyone as we're all lazy fuckers. Since I'm a highly intelligent person that wisely uses spare time and also part of the anti-masochist international association group, I've downloaded Thi4f.

So I've played some Thiaf and Elder Scrolls Online today. If I were you, I'd go to that carnival, throw the computer out of the window and never buy another one again.

What's the point in porting this to PC? It's as if DX:HR ended right after Detroit and teased you with Hengsha DLC nobody's interested in. I got this for 0,99$ during Christmas and I still feel ripped off.

Divinity: Original Sin
It's carnival here in Rio so it means mini vacations for everyone as we're all lazy fuckers. Since I'm a highly intelligent person that wisely uses spare time and also part of the anti-masochist international association group, I've downloaded Thi4f.

Man, I hate carnival, and yet, it looks better to enjoy it than try this game. The thing is, one redeeming factor of this game is that it actually looks short.

Borelli

Arcane
Regarding Garrett's clothing, with Thief being both medieval and steampunk a cloak+hood is not actually out of place, Garrett casually chills out in a tavern wearing that (a shady tavern that is probably a hive of scum and taffery but still) and even other thieves wear that(Ramirez's boys, Bonehoarders, Thieves Guild etc). However based on watching streams and previews of Thi4f i can see that Garrett is hiding in the tower because he looks like a fucking bandit, there is no way that could fit in the pseudo 19th century they are going with.

AngryKobold

Arcane
- When the game starts, you're inside some room looking through a window. You turn around and see some guy sleeping in a bed right on your side. Honestly, I'm not looking for easy targets to bash, but for a good 30 secs or so I genuinely thought Garrett had sex with the man and was now just admiring the view outside. In fact, by the way you're positioned when game starts, this version is actually more convincing than any other one. How the hell they didn't noticed this? Was it their intention in the first place, to suggest something? I'm not even kidding.

:lol:

... and the drunkard starts scratching his ass. That's some shit you just can't make up. The first image you see in the game, as soon as the engine kicks in. Maybe a hidden message of some sort. Like, where management of Eidos Montreal holds its respect for the customer.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
With the game finally being available in all regions, it has climbed to the top of the charts on Steam, at least for today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom