Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

Topher

Cipher
I hadn't even noticed that this shit came out... too busy playing The Last Express I suppose.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Roxor was right though, it was an obvious waste of bandwidth. I wanted to play it out of pure tradition, after being so close to the series for so many years, it felt wrong to leave this completely unchecked, even if it's a reboot that obviously sucks. The thing is, it was a massive download and I played it for 1h30 or so before closing the game. Haven't opened it again since then and I really don't want to, it's one of those bad games you simply can't be arsed to open. I miss the times when terrible games were hilarious, they kinda morphed into this comedy thing.

Funnily enough I started playing some platformer on steam called The Swapper that's actually quite good and took away any chance I had of reopening Thi4f. I'll just probably unninstall it tomorrow.

Edit: oh, forgot to mention, this Swapper thing has much, much more atmosphere than Thi4f, and the sounds and music are so fucking good it's HEAVAN. How pleasant it is to play something well made for a change.

:bro:

I took a break from The Swapper before wasting my time and bandwidth with Thi4f, and it sure is amazing how superior in every way the former game is compared to this triple A turd. Back to The Swapper now.

I knew Thi4f was going to be bad before playing it. The streams and Codex consensus already had me convinced, but I also, apparently, needed to taste this rancid turd by myself.

I would also like to recommend Mark of the Ninja and Gunpoint if you need some stealth gaming fix afterwards. Very decent games with lots of charm.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
cd-action reviews thiaf, gives it 2.5/6

two advantages it cites are "story" and "atmosphere"

meh.ro10767.jpg

Sonus

Educated
I see Thief II: The Metal Age abbreviated as "TME" once in awhile. What's the "E" stand for?

I can see where people get Thief: The Dark Age or Thief: Dark Shadows from...

Martius

Liturgist

Last year they praised dumbed down and streamlined Devil May Cry reboot, same happened to Thief and now its bad?

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member

Last year they praised dumbed down and streamlined Devil May Cry reboot, same happened to Thief and now its bad?
Legend of Grimrock: 8.5/10 because "nostalgia"
Might and Magic X: 5.5/10 because "too much nostalgia"

I see they are still going full retardo.

Good that I stopped buying that shit some 5 years ago.

retardation

Learned
Guys, I don't know what's your knowledge about this, but just in case: I learned that Square Enix is sending review guides with the review codes of Thiaf. The review guides also include a list of things that shouldn't be mentioned in a review of the game.
Of course, for a journalist it is completely unethical to accept and review the game that comes with the review guide. If I were you, I'd hardly trust any review that doesn't explicitly state it is based on a purchased copy of Thiaf (unless you somehow know that the reviewer torrented his review copy).

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
I see Thief II: The Metal Age abbreviated as "TME" once in awhile. What's the "E" stand for?

I can see where people get Thief: The Dark Age or Thief: Dark Shadows from...
Obviously it's for The Metal Age.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Guys, I don't know what's your knowledge about this, but just in case: I learned that Square Enix is sending review guides with the review codes of Thiaf. The review guides also include a list of things that shouldn't be mentioned in a review of the game.
Of course, for a journalist it is completely unethical to accept and review the game that comes with the review guide. If I were you, I'd hardly trust any review that doesn't explicitly state it is based on a purchased copy of Thiaf (unless you somehow know that the reviewer torrented his review copy).
Virtually every major triple-A game comes with a "review guide" these days. They tend to ostensibly be things like hints and tips on difficult parts of the game, explanations of the mechanics, sometimes save files to let reviewers skip through the game.

But yes, they can also include lists of "forbidden" topics. This is usually covered under the NDA already - you're not allowed to publish the review if it mentions those things until that NDA has expired, effectively allowing publishers to exercise some control over initial information about the game and, thus, presumably, improve sales. It's pretty "standard" practice and it's another reason I tend not to touch reviews from any major site anymore (just see EA categorically asking the press to not talk about glitches and bugs in reviews of Battlefield 4 for a full month after its release).

Probably already posted, but:

He makes some very good and relevant points about that in his video. tl;dr version is subjective opinion != objective fact, someone liking a game you don't doesn't mean they're an idiot, a reboot or sequel being different from the previous game doesn't mean the game fundamentally sucks.

Of course, Thief has plenty of problems even without comparing it to the originals (terrible AI, terrible story, context-sensitive everything, excess linearity and lack of decent exploration, poor level design, poor pacing, technical incompetence and bugs, misleading marketing and gameplay demos prior to release, etc.) which probably just renders it a poor game outright.

Last edited:

retardation

Learned
Virtually every major triple-A game comes with a "review guide" these days. They tend to ostensibly be things like hints and tips on difficult parts of the game, explanations of the mechanics, sometimes save files to let reviewers skip through the game.

But yes, they can also include lists of "forbidden" topics. This is usually covered under the NDA already - you're not allowed to publish the review if it mentions those things until that NDA has expired, effectively allowing publishers to exercise some control over initial information about the game and, thus, presumably, improve sales. It's pretty "standard" practice and it's another reason I tend not to touch reviews from any major site anymore (just see EA categorically asking the press to not talk about glitches and bugs in reviews of Battlefield 4 for a full month after its release).

Yes, the NDA too was included with the list and the review guide. SE required a signed copy of the NDA from the reviewer.
The reviewer in question declined.
So it is possible to stumble upon an unbiased review. However, I was just informing codexians (or whatever the people here call themselves) of this because I see TB, RPS, etc. regularly mentioned. The rest of the world doesn't care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom