Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And Banished is outselling everything. If a budget priced medieval city builder can out sell a triple A title two days after its US release then the Thief IP and any idea of a sequel is dying by the day.

Keep in mind Thief is a Steamworks game (meaning you can activate it on Steam regardless of where you buy it) and there are multiple digital retailers that are selling it like Gamer's Gate, Green Man Gaming, Amazon, Gamefly, etc. All probably offered better preorder/D1P deals than Steam.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Curiously, Thief player number seem absent from Steam stats. Anyone know why this would be the case?

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well Frederic Blattman is bitching at people on twitter right now for saying the game is like Dishonored. Honestly I though they were trying to make it like Dishonored so it would have more sales.

Azazel

Arbiter
Curiously, Thief player number seem absent from Steam stats. Anyone know why this would be the case?

Less than 1200 people are currently playing it? The official game group only lists 250 players currently in game, but that's usually a tiny sample of total purchasers.

Shralla

Educated
Fuck no. HR is the ONLY game I can remember playing that I had to stop playing because it was physically painful and I'm DAMN sure I'm not the only one whoes eyes hurt from the bad lighting.
That is not really what art direction is about.

Yeah apparently it's about hideous yellow post-processing filters that you use to make your game "identifiable" in tiny screenshots for some reason.

deuxhero

Arcane
Even with the yellow filter modded out the lighting STILL sucks to look at because instead of the very painful experience of trying to seperate yellow from yellow, I have the slightly less painful experience of seperating white from white.

Drakron

Arcane
Even with the yellow filter modded out the lighting STILL sucks to look at because instead of the very painful experience of trying to seperate yellow from yellow, I have the slightly less painful experience of seperating white from white.

Directors cut removed a lot of the yellow, its gets a bit weird because the art direction was made for a specific color pallet that its no longer there and some stuff do stand out because of the lack of yellow.

Plus being a graphix whore is a sign of the decline, you seen to be saying you ARE part of the problem.

... or are just trying to be a tryharder.

toroid

Arcane

Bug, probably. If you go to the game's community page you'll see that there are ~4000 concurrent users right now.

Whatever was wrong is fixed now. It's in sixteenth place at the time of this post.

This shouldn't be surprising at all; look at Fallout 3. And look who this game is marketed towards.. this is undeniably tainted with that mass market half-assed console shit.

DemonKing

Arcane
Why is Garrett wearing a corset now - surely that would be a bit restrictive with regards to stealthy work?

Sonus

Educated
Why they couldn't make the harness for The Claw/Grapnel look like a harness, not a damned corset, and with no one telling Nic Cantin to try try again, is one of thousands of boggling decisions.

Telengard

Arcane
Fashion hurts, but a man's gotta keep looking cool. Even when he's doing dark work where no one's supposed to see or remember him. Not to mention the black eyeliner and nail polish (I wonder what finally made them ditch that). The man's got principles, after all.

Turjan

Arcane

Bug, probably. If you go to the game's community page you'll see that there are ~4000 concurrent users right now.

It's at 16th place at the moment. Peak was at 9600 players. So less than one third of Skyrim, and still below Banished, although it may catch up with that one soon.

Edit: Numbers look very similar to Terraria, actually.

Turjan

Arcane
Actually, the Greenmangaming Screen says "out 28 February" and "Preload Now" for Thief, so the totals are not in yet.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So, get this. There's a mission where you're infiltrating the baron's manor, there's guards all over the place, scouring the courtyard. Okay, so one of the ways in (possibly the only way in, knowing this game) is by shooting an arrow at a rope that is holding a large crate, which you mantle on to and climb up the building and so on and so forth.

Thing is, there are 3 guards in the immediate vicinity, and the crate falling makes a fuckhuge noise compared to, I don't know, the sound of Garrett stepping on a shard of glass. The crate falling however is not noticed in the slightest by the guards, they completely ignore a huge crate falling 5 meters on to the ground with a large crashing noise.

This fascinated me so much I alt-tabbed out and posted it here. Quite possibly one of the most immersive games I've played.

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
It always amused me in the originals that dropping a key on a floor that isn't grass, soil or carpet would alert a nearby AI. :D

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've finished Thi4f: The Decline Project, it was everything I expected it to be. Complete shit, that is. Can't say I was disappointed by what it gave me, since it's just about what I expected since it was announced.

I have no idea why they made the plot the pile of convoluted garbage that it is when there were so many things they could have recycled from the old series to build something way better (any of the pre-existing factions, for example).

A few of the main peeves:
  • No Moss Arrows because all of the sound/audio elements of Thief got ripped out or turned to complete shit
  • Replacing the Gas Arrows with 'Choke Arrows' (which do what Moss Arrows did when you shot them at people in Thief 3), except you still have to walk over to them and perform a cinematic takedown, pretty much turned them into a tool for temporarily incapacitating an enemy when you get caught (like a flash bomb, which also exist and do what flash bombs always have), rather than a ranged blackjack for strategically taking out opponents non-lethally from afar
  • The brand new addition to the Thief franchise! Blast Arrows! Which are Fire Arrows that one shot kill anything even on Master Difficulty and have a huge splash radius, a tool for a true master thiaf.
  • Story is convoluted bullshit, as mentioned above, garrett is edgy as fuck, 'SAVE THE GIRL' plot, dishonored ripoff plague bullshit, ruined setting
  • Swoop swoop swoop swoop swoop huff huff huff huff swoop swoop swoop swoop
  • Animations for fucking everything that take the control away from you every 5 seconds, don't even get me started on opening 6 drawers in a desk individually, being slow as fuck about it and then making sure to close them again, and also accidentally peeking from the desk while you're trying to open its 6 drawers because everything uses the same key
  • The contextual jumping severely limits your movement, sometimes you see a stack of boxes that looks like it could be an alternate way into a building but you absolutely cannot mantle/jump on it, this game is very fucking linear in its level design overall, there's no two ways about most things, it's all a straight line to the next objective if you take out the optional side rooms with desks with 6 drawers with a fucking 1-gold's-worth spoon in one of them
  • There's probably less rope arrow spots (the only places you can use them, if you didn't already know) in the game than you can carry with the opportunist day 1 dlc quiver upgrade, you also get enough to fill that capacity with the day 1 dlc ghost upgrade, which you also get 40 free water arrows with (which is probably more than all of the torches in the game)
  • NPC AI is some of the dumbest I've seen in a video game, just as bad as Bethesda game AI if not worse
  • There's no loot requirement for any of the missions (not counting the 'main loot' that appears in a few, for purposes of advancing the plot)
I said a few so I better just stop this here, I could go on for days though. I'm glad to have this off my machine, not even going to bother with the side content because the gameplay itself frustrates me so much already, even if the plot wasn't shit.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
Still, I can't be bothered to play it... but now that the game is released, why Garrett has a glowing eye? they explain that at all?

7/10

Learned
Still, I can't be bothered to play it... but now that the game is released, why Garrett has a glowing eye? they explain that at all?

Well, Garrett had a mechanical eye, that he got from the Hammerites after he lost his real eye at the end of the Dark Project. As to Garrott's glowing eye, I have no fucking idea...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom