Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's not 1998 anymore, guys.

Clearly.

Machocruz

Arcane
The heightened footfall sounds are for player feedback, not to simulate reality to the nth degree. I've snuck up on/past people in Timberland boots on various kinds of surfaces, little to no sound, but weight distribution is my feedback on whether I will succeed or not, and that kind of tangible feedback doesn't exist in games yet. Player feedback, ie game design, comes before realism.

Without the modern artificial fibers we have today our feet would have no protection at all if we decided to wear something softer than shoes with leather soles. Imagine going around on the streets/in the woods/mud etc. with nothing than but socks on. Garret's feed would look pretty bad after a day or so.

If you spent a lot of your life in the wild, your feet would become like leather, just like indigenous peoples who live in rainforests. Some people, even moderns, rock climb barefoot. Shoes are a man-made solution to man-made problems (cities, glass, square edges). Garret is a soft-footed city boy and his profession dictates that he need be able to flee quickly over any terrain, so he has to make the compromise of foot protection over optimal silence. But let's not worship at the altar of modern innovation to make a point. There have been track teams in Mexico that run miles over bad terrain in nothing but hand-made straw sandals. We don't need modern fibers for nature.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
The game doesn't even have dynamic shadows, so that's obviously a technical limitation. What do you mean with the aural identification, though? I thought hearing you could only make enemies suspicious, and they only gave proper chase after seeing you, which makes perfect sense. I haven't tried running over a marble floor while out of sight though, no idea what happens then.

What I mean is, there are many instances of NPC getting suspicious/investigating when you make e.g. sound crossing an hallway close to them, while they are fine with other NPCs (guards, servants) doing the same. Of course that's obvious gameification, but it might have been avoided if they e.g. call out regardless who passes, but are satisfied when the patrolling guard announces his presence by responding (probably using a password or such).
Then again, maybe that is the reason why they like to mutter so much while walking around...

Oesophagus

Arcane
movement sounds were a fun mechanic, regardless if it made sense or not. And it worked two ways, because while you had to take care what surface you were walking on, guards' footseps also added an element of tension, when lockpicking or carrying a body. It's very tense to hear a guard walking about, but not know where he is or if you'll run into him

Zeriel

Arcane
It's a lot harder when you play it like a Thief game instead of spamming rat plague all the time. Use the achievements as a guide and play without enhancements and violence on hardest difficulty and it's a very solid experience.

I read about the ending branching before I played the game, and only played through it once ghosting every level to keep the 'chaos' score down. Apparently I got the best possible experience doing this. Alright game, but kind of sad that a console-influenced hack & slash version of Thief is the pinnacle of the genre these days.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Thiaf guard AI in action

aQTDtvY.gif

7h30n

Augur
And that is one of the things I really like about old Thief and even Dishonored. Both have that short sound effect/melody that plays when you get spotted.

Huh?

Ugh it seems I mistook that for the sound that plays when you enter certain locations/parts of the level in Thief. There is no music when you get spotted.
It's about time I replayed those games.

So what I wanted to say is: I liked the subtle sound effect when entering certain locations in old Thief and a similar sound effect which plays in Dishonored when spotted.

Borelli

Arcane
To be fair, guards will not follow you into pools even in old thief.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So someone compare this to what Squeenix did to the Hitman and DX franchises with Derpsalution and HR. Are we talking about the same levels of derpiness/mainstreaming?

I still don't get why the fuck is he walking with arms in front of him.
So someone compare this to what Squeenix did to the Hitman
The problem with H:A is the same as with, I don't know, Hitman movie or first Judge Dredd movie - they tried to make it feel like Hitman is a hero. And then you had to punch Danny Trejo's insert in the world, so... yeah, fuck it.

Azazel

Arbiter
So someone compare this to what Squeenix did to the Hitman and DX franchises with Derpsalution and HR. Are we talking about the same levels of derpiness/mainstreaming?

Human Revolution at least had a massive amount of fanservice and was set in the same universe. Thi4f shares nothing in common with the earlier games besides a handful of recycled character names.

DraQ

Arcane
Thi4f definitely made immeasurable progresses to the stealth genre by removing noisy floors. It's unbelievable how we're so much above 1998 now. See? Turns out you were right!
Removing the floor from underneath something tends to result in it plummeting the fuck down.

Turns out the stealth genre isn't that much different.

What do you mean with the aural identification, though?
That you can be told apart from guards by footsteps alone.

The day I will be able to fool guards with footstep noise by larping their knocked out buddy...
:bounce:

If you spent a lot of your life in the wild, your feet would become like leather, just like indigenous peoples who live in rainforests. Some people, even moderns, rock climb barefoot. Shoes are a man-made solution to man-made problems (cities, glass, square edges).
Actually this, but both Thief and Thiaf are city games.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Human Revolution was a well designed game with a decent story, really good world design and solid art direction, plus though it had its problems was still a good tribute to the original games.

I haven't played Thief but it seems like it doesn't really check most of those boxes. It kinda just looks dreary and boring to me, and this poor AI, weak story, and downplaying of actual thievery and stealth doesn't exactly make me interested to try it out.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Cock rings, huh? High culture gaming that us primitives back in '98 could only dream of with our larger levels and more nuanced noise mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom