Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Official Gothic 4: Arcania thread

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mortmal said:
commie said:
Voice acting and dialogue is so horrific that even Two Turds and Planet Alcatraz look great in comparison. Game itself isn't that bad so far were it not for the CONSTANT STUTTERING, whether settings are on high or low.

*cough* bad crack *cough* 1.00 not 1.1

Yeah, I guess I'll have to wait a week or so for the fix. ;)

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
How to win Arcania: Gothic 4, a quick guide by Darth Roxor:

1. Start clicking like mad. This should make your character issue four attacks and stunlock your helpless enemy.
2. Roll aside. Enemies have lightning reflexes, which means they will keep staring into a wall and doing nothing, frozen in amazement at your awesome dodging skills.
3. Repeat both steps until said enemy is dead.
4. Roll aside and proceed from step 1 if enemy is charging and obvious, flashing power attack.

It works even on Gothic difficulty!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
markec said:
Here is the official RPGWatch review http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=165&ref=0&id=280

So to everyone that had a glimmer of hope that the demo is not a true show of the entire game prepare to be disappointed. This is the first RPG in a long time that I feel that is not even worth torrenting.

According to that Spellbound developer comment the perfect RPG has already been made, Dragon's Lair.

dragons-lair-hd-1.jpg

made

Arcane
As usual, RPGWatch is full of shit.

I don't buy the train of thought that "casual gamers" will love a terrible game as long as it's easy and accessible. Myself, I don't have the time and patience to delve into deep and time consuming RPGs like Ultimas or Arcanum either nowadays, but that type of game has been long since dead anyway. That doesn't mean I don't feel insulted and bored by retarded writing, idiotic quests, and simplistic mechanics that offer no fun at all.

Take the new Lara Croft game: it's as casual as it gets but it's still fun, despite being short and easy.

Surely we have the technology in 2010 to make RPGs accessible and easy with optional features like quest trackers, journals, map pointers, variable difficulty settings and optional hardcore modes (like I think New Vegas does; I'm not sure, haven't been following the game closely) while retaining some depth and complexity for those who can/want to spend more time with it.

Now, what I've seen of the Arcania demo doesn't scream "casual" at me, it screams "retarded", and I find a review implying that casual players would enjoy that shit just because it's easy to get into insulting.

Come to think of it, I should have posted this at RPGW itself rather than here but I can't remember my account details so fuck it.

Darth Roxor said:
How to win Arcania: Gothic 4, a quick guide by Darth Roxor:

1. Start clicking like mad. This should make your character issue four attacks and stunlock your helpless enemy.
2. Roll aside. Enemies have lightning reflexes, which means they will keep staring into a wall and doing nothing, frozen in amazement at your awesome dodging skills.
3. Repeat both steps until said enemy is dead.
4. Roll aside and proceed from step 1 if enemy is charging and obvious, flashing power attack.

It works even on Gothic difficulty!

Rabbi reply: Does that make you feel better about yourself?
Snide reply: Wow, enemy AI sure has developed over the last ten years.
Kingcomrage: Duuuuuurrrrr huuuuurrrrr clean toilets.

hal900x

Augur
made said:
Surely we have the technology in 2010 to make RPGs accessible and easy with optional features like quest trackers, journals, map pointers, variable difficulty settings and optional hardcore modes (like I think New Vegas does; I'm not sure, haven't been following the game closely) while retaining some depth and complexity for those who can/want to spend more time with it.

Technology has nothing to do with it. Human creativity is needed; smart people with good ideas. And that kind of creativity is hard to come by, especially when innovation is specifically discouraged on the basis of financial risk.

made

Arcane
hal900x said:
made said:

Technology has nothing to do with it. Human creativity is needed; smart people with good ideas. And that kind of creativity is hard to come by, especially when innovation is specifically discouraged on the basis of financial risk.

I realize that. I use the phrase ironically, since over the years underdeveloped features were explained away with "insufficient technology" or "lack of processing power", implying that in time those limitations would be shaken off and gaming would take off to new heights. What happened instead is the exact opposite, for the reasons you mentioned.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
HAHAHA OH WOW

Bros, let me update my guide how to win this game.

1. Obtain a bow.
2. Receive godmode.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
That RPG Watch review is one of the worst ones I have ever read. It's as if they're desperately trying to sell it off to a group of people as if they were paid by JoWood or something. "Casual RPGers" - fucking hell.

Pros: The graphics, environments, landscapes, game smoothness, stability, and dungeon design

Cons: Depends heavily upon what pair of glasses you are wearing!
Absolutely inane pros/cons.

Tails

Arbiter
Darth Roxor, it would be cool if you wrote a review for prestigious Codex magazine:>

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Tails said:
Darth Roxor, it would be cool if you wrote a review for prestigious Codex magazine:>

Well, bro, I'm currently gathering materials. But you know, I have to play this game in relatively small doses. It's so horribly boring and stupid that longer sessions might cause permanent brian damage.

I feel the game is worth the money I put into it... that is to say none. Time, on the other hand... well, I could either sit around and wank for eight days until New Vegas is out, or play this game.

As for the LP... well, you didn't -really- expect me to follow through on something at this point, do you? Hello! I'm a lazy son of a bitch. *poits towards signature*

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Ah! After so many boring debates on DA:O and ME2, it's good to see that the Codex can still speak with one voice.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Zed said:
That RPG Watch review is one of the worst ones I have ever read. It's as if they're desperately trying to sell it off to a group of people as if they were paid by JoWood or something. "Casual RPGers" - fucking hell.

Pros: The graphics, environments, landscapes, game smoothness, stability, and dungeon design

Cons: Depends heavily upon what pair of glasses you are wearing!
Absolutely inane pros/cons.

Well RPGwatch is and will always be a boy penis compared to our throbbing man COCK.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Also, allow me to elaborate on 'bow = godmode'.

You see, you can move around and shoot at the same time. While drawing an arrow makes you walk instead of run, the reduction in speed is minimal. But still, you might think that on the hardest difficulty enemies will use the speed advantage to beat the shit out of you, right? Forget it. They only get 'near' you, like 1-2 steps away, not point blank, which means that all you need to do is make ONE step backward while they approach you. This will make the enemy start hitting air, while you move back and riddle them full of arrows.

Also, another funny thing, there are no nights in this game. Nights are just days full of cloudy weather.

This is how nights look like: http://i51.tinypic.com/2uzfbwi.jpg

Cool shadows of trees and overall brightness in the middle of the night, eh?

This game is a joke. Think Deathspank is an RPG parody? Think again. This is the real deal. Come up with any RPG mechanic and try bastardising it to the max - Arcania probably has it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Good preview :salute: but don't think it absolves you from a review/LP ;)

Honestly, between the combat video and your comments it seems like this is one of the worst implementations of action/RPG combat ever. The "night" screenshot is hilarious, it looks like the night scenes in 60's or 70's movies where they shot the scenes in full daylight with some dimming filters on. And to think I complained about SOC's nights being too bright...

CrusaderTemplar

Liturgist
It's soooo horrible with the invisible walls and the jumping off ledges onto another ledge to hit another invisible wall that can only be bypassed by jumping again. Hell, if you walk far from the ocean, you get Instant killed and have to revert to a previous savegame. Also, more invisible walls in lakes. Also, inventory stuck bug when looting meatbugs. No way to get outta it. Alt+F4 =/ Also, performance is shit with tons of choppiness. Also, there are "European and American" settings for colors. =/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom