Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Official Gothic 4: Arcania thread

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
SCO said:
PB didn't do forsaken gods.

I know, they didn't do Arcania either. My point was that Jowood rushed PB, rushed Trine and rushed Spellbound...they didn't learn a fucking thing from G3 and did the same or worse with the other 'Gothic' games since.

EDIT: Oh I see I was a bit ambiguous with that sentence, should have been a separation between FG AND PB. I rewrote it now.

Flanged

Scholar
The worst thing in the demo was coming to the realisation that the Nameless Hero from Gothic 1 and 2 had been struggling against a chronic muscle-wasting disease the whole time. Apparently, any old shepherd can take on six goblins no problems with a stick. They even let me beat Diego, for Christ's sake. With a stick.

Have to admit, though, the handling of the whole pregnancy reveal was very deft, very humanistic, and really drew me into the world these characters inhabit.

"I'm pregnant... fair enough?"

Have modern game writers actually met any human beings, or even watched film of them?

That weird slidey thing in the vid happens all the time as well, whenever you jump up on one of the rocks that block you into the path. The don't actually make it impossible to jump up there - they just make you slide and get glitch-stuck in the stone if you do. Why? Was that supposed to be a compromise towards the exploration players? It's not even an attempt at the illusion of freedom.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Hahahahahahaha, CD-Action has posted a review of this on their site.

Overall score: 3.5

Pros:
- Moderately interesting plot
- Combat system better than in previous Gothics
- Pretty-looking world.

Cons:
- Removal of many characteristic elements of the series
- Bad optimization
- Bad animations/shoddy dialogue

I also love how they describe the 'better combat':

'sword-monster collision detection is a lot better, and after each hit, we have a short moment when the weapon starts flashing, and another click makes the character launch a long combo. Thanks to this, fights are a lot more gripping and interesting'

What a joke. This is exactly like that thing Darth Roxor was talking about. 'The game does away with all these sucky elements of the previous installments, while keeping the spirit of the series, 10/10 !!!!!!'

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think they are disappointed they weren't brided with advertisements but still have to maintain the facade for the games that did, so the criticism and praise is about retarded things that those other games do.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I deleted it and downloading 1 GB of Touhou images instead.

I installed G3 and applied official patches, it run without problems. Installing any Gothic without properly cracked patches is silly.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
made said:
Darth Roxor said:
Hahahahahahaha
Stop wasting time and get writing that review. It's a 15 hour game, what's taking so long?

As I said, playing it in intervals longer than 30 minutes is nigh-impossible. It's that boring. And besides, since I want to get the maximum impression out of it, I'm at least trying to do everything there is to do, and the '15 hours' thing is, I guess, done with no complete exploration and shit.

JoWood? More like Jew... wood. Right? Right?!

I've seriously never seen a good game with a Jew... wood insignia plastered on it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Stereotypical Villain said:

I've seriously never seen a good game with a Jew... wood insignia plastered on it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Gothic II
Silent Storm
Spellforce
The Guild 2

flabbyjack

Arcane
commie said:

Gothic II
Silent Storm
Spellforce
The Guild 2
Publisher should not get credit for publishing good games.

Aracania Impressions

The map (it's linear):
images.jpg

My impression of the game(Hey at least the graphics are nice! Wait a minute...):
images1.jpg

I didn't label the axes but you can figure it out.

Felix

Arcane
commie said:

Gothic II
Silent Storm
Spellforce
The Guild 2

One thing they have in common, buggy as fuck

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
flabbyjack said:
commie said:

Gothic II
Silent Storm
Spellforce
The Guild 2
Publisher should not get credit for publishing good games.

[/quote]

True, but the poster was saying there was not good game released with JOWOOD on the cover. It's always been a publisher and not a game maker.

Felix said:
commie said:

Gothic II
Silent Storm
Spellforce
The Guild 2

One thing they have in common, buggy as fuck

Exactly and far too consistently buggy to just always blame the developers as Jowood does. It's their history of paying as little as they can and forcing a product out the door as fast as they can that leads to such situations over and over again. I'm wondering if the makers of these games found a better publisher then these games would have gotten the exposure they deserved, but it seems that Jowood were the only fuckers sneaky enough to offer peanuts for these titles knowing they could make money on the cheap as the games(even half done) would still be good enough to make them a mint.

Unfortunately in Europe there are few decent publishers. UBI had potential a 5 years ago but rushed headlong into the decline. It seems that apart from Jowood there was no-one else to publish these games as certainly EA or Activision wouldn't have done so.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Oh my God, someone please make it stop. The save game says I'm barely 6 hours into the game, and I'm already so sick of it, for fuck's sake, how could they release such a half-arsed turd, please shoot me, I can't take it anymore.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Numb your brain. Take weed or xanax.

I imagine it's the only way.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Arcania sucks
What a big surprise
I didn't see that coming when devs said they are inspired by Oblivion 2 years ago

Also JoWooD was good once (about 5 years ago)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Darth Roxor said:
Oh my God, someone please make it stop. The save game says I'm barely 6 hours into the game, and I'm already so sick of it, for fuck's sake, how could they release such a half-arsed turd, please shoot me, I can't take it anymore.
You must suffer for the good of the Codex! After all DriacKin finished his FO3 LP and was it Elzair? finished his Oblivion LP. Now it's your turn. Be a true patriot Darth Roxor! :salute:

Vault Dweller said:
The game is fucking awful. It makes Oblivion look like a masterpiece.
You know your game is beyond hope when even Vault Dweller is reduced to making a one-liner about how much it sucks.

While it is unlike me to cast a judgement on a game before trying it, I don't think I'll even bother with the demo.

Joghurt

Augur
Sceptic said:
Darth Roxor said:
You must suffer for the good of the Codex! After all DriacKin finished his FO3 LP and was it Elzair? finished his Oblivion LP. Now it's your turn. Be a true patriot Darth Roxor! :salute:

Vault Dweller said:
The game is fucking awful. It makes Oblivion look like a masterpiece.
You know your game is beyond hope when even Vault Dweller is reduced to making a one-liner about how much it sucks.

While it is unlike me to cast a judgement on a game before trying it, I don't think I'll even bother with the demo.

That surprised me actually. I "bought" the game from TPB, but didn't arse myself to install it, but I didn't believe every one of you who were saying the game is THAT bad. I kept thinking that it cannot be THAT bad. Now when even VD cannot be arsed to say anything positive about the game I won't it even bother installing it.

Someone must do the fucking LP of this shit...take the bullet for the Kodex.

codexarmy.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom