Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Official Gothic 4: Arcania thread

Arcania was soooooo good that I quit it after two hours and then proceeded to install Gothic 3 with the latest community patch so that I could play that instead.

Why? Well... it's simple, really... I like Gothic for the creative spells they jammed into all the games (Including Risen) and now... well, now it's all pure combat spells and those kind of spells bores me to tears. How am I supposed to LARP a proper mage in Arcania?

Oh... and yeah... No. Open. World. I want to explore, damn it.

Felix

Arcane
mapargaanblank.jpg

mapargaanblankxbox.jpg

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
To get a good grasp of the world in Gothic 4:

4vsu1s.jpg

Getting from point A to point B takes around half a minute.

Both these areas also have teleport markers next to them, which actually take more time to use (due to overlong animations and loading screens) than running back and forth.

Also, those thick dark areas are impenetrable walls of mountain ranges.

Needless to say, there's some excellent exploration here :salute:

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Luckily for me, I never liked G1/2, never played G3 and can't be bothered to give two flying fucks about G4.

But of course I can help you guys rage :salute: :

:x :decline: :x

zeitgeist

Magister
made said:
I don't buy the train of thought that "casual gamers" will love a terrible game as long as it's easy and accessible.
They absolutely will if it's marketed and presented to them the right way. That segment of the market simply doesn't have the experience, exposure, or faculties needed to classify those games properly, and it's very easy to sell a subpar game to them.

However, Arcania isn't that particular type of a casual game and it isn't marketed to those players, so you're correct about the RPGWatch review comment. The reviewer is probably confused about the meaning of "casual" and how it applies to marketing and production which, given so many recent definitions of the term, isn't that surprising.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The only thing that really repulses me is the idea of it not being a very open world. The dumbing down and brain-dead combat are terrible, don't get me wrong, but exploring a nice new world would still be cool regardless for me. If the game is truly like Fable or something though, small corridors rather than a huge open world, then that's terrible.

Wulfstand

Prophet
WHAT THE FUCK. The demo worked FLAWLESSLY on max settings, whilst I can only make the full game run at a decent framerate on low settings. WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

:x :x :x

Shannow

Waster of Time
Wulfstand said:
WHAT THE FUCK. The demo worked FLAWLESSLY on max settings, whilst I can only make the full game run at a decent framerate on low settings. WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.
Bad crack + moron pirate = :x

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
These maps have different contrast. And there is that area at the right size of the darker map.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Shannow said:
Wulfstand said:

Well of course I'm gonna pirate it first, but still, please do elaborate on what the problem really is.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wulfstand said:
Shannow said:
Wulfstand said:

Well of course I'm gonna pirate it first, but still, please do elaborate on what the problem really is.

From what I've gathered from the forums the cracked version is for the pre-performance patch version of the game. And the performance patch is extremely effective at improving performance:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11589

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sergiu64 said:
Wulfstand said:
Shannow said:
Wulfstand said:

From what I've gathered from the forums the cracked version is for the pre-performance patch version of the game. And the performance patch is extremely effective at improving performance:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11589

I wonder if it was deliberate. Since the demo ran fine, why would the retail game suck unless it was deliberately made to to thwart pre-release piracy?

Raghar said:
These maps have different contrast. And there is that area at the right size of the darker map.

Shit, so not only the PC gets a castrated game to begin with, it has even less content than the X-Bawks version!

Is all that mountainous area impassable? It seems to take up more than 50% of the island! Unless it's there as a hold for DLC of some sort, it's ridiculous.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
commie said:
Is all that mountainous area impassable? It seems to take up more than 50% of the island! Unless it's there as a hold for DLC of some sort, it's ridiculous.

Yeah, its impassable. In fact most of the other areas a separated from each other and are impassable until all the story line quests in that area are done. This game is a lot less like Gothic and a lot more like the The Witcher as far as gameplay is concerned.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Stereotypical Villain said:
Arcania was soooooo good that I quit it after two hours and then proceeded to install Gothic 3 with the latest community patch so that I could play that instead.

Why? Well... it's simple, really... I like Gothic for the creative spells they jammed into all the games (Including Risen) and now... well, now it's all pure combat spells and those kind of spells bores me to tears. How am I supposed to LARP a proper mage in Arcania?

Oh... and yeah... No. Open. World. I want to explore, damn it.

Where is my LP bitch?

:x

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Wulfstand said:
Eh, I'll just wait untill a hotfix patch comes out.
I doubt any of them will solve the impassable mountains and the story bottlenecks.

Bugs can be fixed, shitty design is forever.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Sceptic said:
Wulfstand said:
I doubt any of them will solve the impassable mountains and the story bottlenecks.

Fuck, my bad. I wanted to type hotfix *Crack*, but I wasn't paying attention that much to what I was typing, so I typed it wrong :oops: .

Which reminds me: is there one out yet?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The only difference is that the PC map makes it more obvious where the boundaries are. I'm pretty sure they are the same in both.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wulfstand said:
Sceptic said:
Wulfstand said:

Fuck, my bad. I wanted to type hotfix *Crack*, but I wasn't paying attention that much to what I was typing, so I typed it wrong :oops: .

Which reminds me: is there one out yet?

If you like enough to be fucking jonesing for it maybe you should buy it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sergiu64 said:
commie said:

Yeah, its impassable. In fact most of the other areas a separated from each other and are impassable until all the story line quests in that area are done. This game is a lot less like Gothic and a lot more like the The Witcher as far as gameplay is concerned.

At least The Witcher didn't try and pretend it was something it wasn't and using the Aurora engine as a base it was to be expected that it would be in the form of a series of connecting areas.

This game on the other hand just stinks of a desperate rush job by Jowood to save itself by clinging onto the Gothic brand. They probably could have made the whole island explorable which at least would have doubled the gameplay and created a base for more epic questing, but again it was a rush job to get the game out before all the other RPG's coming. So they decided on sticking impassable mountains everywhere just to clear it out the door.

I see now with this that it wasn't PB's fault for the state of Gothic 3 initially(though they are to blame for taking on too big a scale without the focus of G1 and 2), but Jowood's as the same thing happened with Forsaken Gods by Trine.

Hope they fucking die after this.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PB didn't do forsaken gods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom