Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Official Gothic 4: Arcania thread

Deneidez

Educated
What are raging about? Gothic 4 is excellent game... :M ...if you are mentally challenged.

WalterKinde

Scholar
I hope the lets play comes soon.
I wont be getting this game , i passed on the previous game stand alone gothic 3 sequel/expansion as well.
Its a shame the game series has to die the way it will but there is always the Risen sequel.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Vault Dweller said:
Jeux Video says "what the fuck is this shit?". They say the real Gothic 4 was called Risen and this restrictive and linear crap is a poorly done adventure game.
You forgot to mention they START the review with this, and with "this is Gothic in name only."

It's a pretty good review actually, they've gone into great detail about everything that's wrong while still trying to find positives. I'm surprised they still gave it a score higher than 10 though.

Mortmal

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00013620-gothic-4-arcania-test.htm

Jeux Video says "what the fuck is this shit?". They say the real Gothic 4 was called Risen and this restrictive and linear crap is a poorly done adventure game.

And its extremely surprising, when you are used to this reviewer, pixelpirate is the good guy there, the kind of guy who dont try to hurt developper's feelings.When a game or a DC is not too good (completely shitty ) it get 14/20 at worse. Now gothic 4 gets 11/20, it means its one of the worse game ever produced .Its even worse than ultima 9 or lionheart.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Okay, fuck this. I'm reverting to 'easy' difficulty. At least it will make those retardedly inane fucking fights fucking shorter.

This game has absolutely no progression of armour, weapons and enemies. On 'Gothic' difficulty, first you click boars to death for 5 minutes, while they kill you in 3 charged attacks. Then, when you find better armour/weapon, boars suddenly change into 'black boars' with the very same model but with pumped up stats. And you still click them to death for 5 minutes. Another new set of armour/weapon? Black boars turn into rippers. Yup, you click them to death for 5 minutes.

Fuck this shit. This is not challenge, this is not difficulty, this is Retardation, with a capital fucking R.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Also, I'm pretty fucking certain I could write the review right now 'cause I doubt this piece of shit will surprise me with anything new, and I'm at 9 hours into the game. But no, goddammit, I'll keep going to the fucking end if just for posterity.

I suspect I should have this written by the next weekend. I will have a lot of time to write on wednesday and friday, and I guess I should be done with the game around tuesday.

There will be no mercy. No. Mercy.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
BTW, bros, fasten your beltseats, for I bring you...

THE CENTURIES OLD ARCHIVES OF CASTLE SILVERLAKE!!!!!

http://i51.tinypic.com/2r7qcfm.jpg

I dropped to the ground laughing when I saw this. I guess the people of Argaan don't quite like reading/writing. But I guess the same can be said about this game's target audience :smug:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What's wrong with these? It looks like few years deserted archives, also it looks like they forgot about them and didn't steal all books.

Tails

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
http://kotaku.com/5650310/nothing-says-i-love-you-like-an-arrow-in-the-face
Wow, so they did manage to dumb down NPC reaction to PC holding weapons and attacking them. I'm just guessing that the full version is the same...

Darth Roxor said:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2r7qcfm.jpg/
Is this place really refereed as "centuries old archive" in Arcania?...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tails said:
Vault Dweller said:
http://kotaku.com/5650310/nothing-says-i-love-you-like-an-arrow-in-the-face
Wow, so they did manage to dumb down NPC reaction to PC holding weapons and attacking them.

JoWooD: "The classic Gothic fan might be disappointed because the game no longer follows the classic Gothic approach. But we did this intentionally. We wanted to reach a broader audience..."

The RPG fans: :) :obviously: :D
The, uh, broader audience: :bounce: :retarded: :M :dizzy: :poop: :stupid:

Some sacrifices HAD to be made.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Darth Roxor said:
You know, comparing this to the secret archives of Vivec makes me sad.

Silellak

Cipher
Darth Roxor said:

I dropped to the ground laughing when I saw this. I guess the people of Argaan don't quite like reading/writing. But I guess the same can be said about this game's target audience :smug:
This reminds me of the changes to the Lycaeum in Ultima IX. Or the Lycaeum in the Ultima 7 SNES port, for that matter.

Whimper.

themadhatter

Novice
Darth Roxor said:

Actually, I thought it was rather clever.
...perhaps unintentionally so, but clever nonetheless.

My first instinct on entering the archives was similar to your own (laugh and ridicule), however, after a swift double-take I paused and considered the issue:
* small town on an equally small island
* disused library/archive behind a locked door in a castle, which rather limits the traffic
* quasi-medieval society in which few people can read (a point is made of this in the Gothic games, including this abomination. See the Beliar-mage in that tree-fort structure)
I'd entered it expecting more, particularly given the bloody-awful fetch-on-fetch-on-fetch quest required to access it, but logically the expectation is absurd and likely colored by the "epicness" of other fantasy games. In Dragon Age (or similar craptastic titles) you just know it would have been an "epic" library, some massive thing with thousands of tomes all bound in gold and steeped in mystery™. Here, it's precisely what it ought to be, a small room preserving the few books treasured enough to be worth the trouble.
Seriously, ragging on this is just nitpicking. Let's discuss, instead, the shortcomings in the series of quests you were forced into in order to gain entrance to the archives or (far more odious, in my opinion) the absolute inability to kill the bloody guy with the key and just open the freaking door...or, you know, bash it in! I was carrying a hammer that looked like it could be used to pulverize a Buick and it was a no-go. I was hoping their integration of PhysX would be more than cosmetic: breakable windows, door, etcetera...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm more worried that the fucking stand is falling to pieces and that there are books in the floor (but no dust).

Let me guess: they are not readable.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jesus Christ who would have thought that morrowind would be the last not independent adult rpg. For fucks sake, the crash can't come soon enough.

Deneidez

Educated
Darth Roxor said:
Also, I'm pretty fucking certain I could write the review right now 'cause I doubt this piece of shit will surprise me with anything new, and I'm at 9 hours into the game. But no, goddammit, I'll keep going to the fucking end if just for posterity.
If you are having problems with the game, there is a Prima Official Guide(!) for Gothic 4. It will guide you through hard places like how to enter or leave city etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Arcania-Gothic-Pr ... 0307470210

* Our complete Quest Log section will step you through every main and side quests!
* Revealing Bestiary section with battle tactics and enemy stats!
* Stats for every weapon, armor, and item!
* Find the locations of over 200 chests hidden throughout the world!
* Step-by-step walkthrough of your entire journey through Feshyr and Argaan!
* Find the hidden locations of each ancient Relic, Forgotten Grave and Innos Statuette!
Paperback: 224 pages

Uh... Oh....

visions said:
One of Gothic 4’s major problems is its adherence to the old-school setup - stats, quests, swords, magic and loads of exploring.

Apparently still not dumb enough for this guy :lol:

Good God...

What do these people want? Honestly, what do they want? He wants to kill off the last vestiges of anything remotely connected to an RPG? Those elements (regardless of whether they exist in this game) would be the first elements I would keep and build on from there.

The slope is ever more slippery.

Stalin

Scholar
Gragt said:
These smilies finally serve their purpose.

atm.gif

Stalin

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
JoWooD: "The classic Gothic fan might be disappointed because the game no longer follows the classic Gothic approach. But we did this intentionally. We wanted to reach a broader audience..."
This is a work of a jew:
221787;ceo_franz_rossler.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom