Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Codexers complaining about ability to tailor difficulty and make games harder now I have seen everything.
Way to miss the point.

Good way to offer an option to tailor difficulty: Do you want to turn on hardcore mode?

Bad way to offer an option to tailor difficulty: You're having a hard time against enemy X, do you want to have an even harder time?

It seems nonsensical, and several better executions have been suggested in this thread. Fuck it, I just came up with another one: You're curbstomping enemy X, do you want to self-gimp yourself against them but also make them drop more loot/have their hides sell for more money/give you a reputation boost for killing them?

This is basically Traits, but instead of choosing two at character creation, you are choosing them like Perks as you go and grow.
Don't know about the execution, but the idea is solid. Autism overflow was unnecessary, but totally expected from the Codex members who will find anything to bitch about.
:rpgcodex:This reads like a post from a mainstream forum. Where the fuck do you think you are? This is autismville, where we have nothing better to do than to pick apart every insignificant element of a game, in our quest to find the perfect RPG design.

Unfortunately, we often get stuck on the very first design question: What is an RPG?

imweasel

Retard Devs Gonna Retard.

Especially old, faggot, danger hair wymens, irrelevant ones.

Seriously, you got some faggot who hired 'you go girlfriends!' as the writers. Figure it out, you dumb fucks.

Game will be SJW shit

Zep--
...and then you'll gloat about how you warned us after the game is released. Rightfully so.

It is certainly going to be interesting to see Cain and Boyarsky fall from grace because they'll have stuffed the game full of SJW garbage instead of nuking the danger hair writing team.

That said, I predict that the androgynous dyke companion will scissor at least three alien lesbians and lecture the player about SJWism at least five times. Any other predictions?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
...and then you'll gloat about how you warned us after the game is released. Rightfully so.

Of course. It's hard to be humble...:)

It is certainly going to be interesting to see Cain and Boyarsky fall from grace because they'll have stuffed the game full of SJW garbage instead of nuking the danger hair writing team.

You can already tell from the look of the female characters this is where it's heading. SJW TOWN.
Honestly, what kind of self respecting male would play this shit?

Any other predictions?

In time...in time.

Zep--

r7fljk43e0c21.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/theouterwo..._screenshot_the_outer_worlds_looks_like_some/

I hate how he holds the gun with one hand. It looks so fucking dumb.

I disagree. Who is going to be using pistols in a game like this? Gunslinger type characters. If you are going for a tactical type character who would hold a pistol 2-handed, then you are most likely going to pass the pistol anyway, and use a more powerful weapon, like a sniper or assault rifle. But for gun-slingers, they SHOULD hold a pistol one-handed (unless using the other hand for fanning the gun).

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Basically, the game tracks something you supposedly suck at. Let's say lizards always damage you, with such flaw you receive even more damage from lizards, but get a free perk point. You're limited to 3 flaws, with 2 added on hard mode.

Sounds like Cainarsky have been watching too much Rocky 3. So if I play my character as an Italian and deliberatley lose to super mutants that look like Mr T - do I get some kind of racial enemy bonus against black dudes damage bonus against super mutants and come back in the closing act of the game to beat the shit out of them?. WTF?.

Big Wrangle

You won't get better against them stats wise, you're essentially debuffing yourself to get better at something else entirely.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Am I the only one whom feels the entire setting feels so tacky? Colony on edge of galaxy?? Even fantasy sci-fi doesn't take that much liberty as this setting. What drove them to create a Futurama 2.0 setting? I really just want someone to explain the logic to me. Why not just get a Futurama license if they wanted to create a total loony town space setting? They already did a south park game so it would not have been hard. Can someone explain to me why they choose such a setting? The overwhelming amounts of jokes or attempts of humor in games in general always fall flat, you might get a smile or a chuckle, but you are not going to laugh your ass off to death as opposed to for example seeing your drunk mates dance in a club.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Everyone holds their handguns like that in first person shooters. You're supposed to iron sight when you're shooting anyway. :M

Yes, God forbid they would've made something different, more original and realistic.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Am I the only one whom feels the entire setting feels so tacky? Colony on edge of galaxy?? Even fantasy sci-fi doesn't take that much liberty as this setting. What drove them to create a Futurama 2.0 setting? I really just want someone to explain the logic to me. Why not just get a Futurama license if they wanted to create a total loony town space setting? They already did a south park game so it would not have been hard. Can someone explain to me why they choose such a setting? The overwhelming amounts of jokes or attempts of humor in games in general always fall flat, you might get a smile or a chuckle, but you are not going to laugh your ass off to death as opposed to for example seeing your drunk mates dance in a club.

This is why Al-Farabi was better.

Loostreaks

Learned
Everyone holds their handguns like that in first person shooters. You're supposed to iron sight when you're shooting anyway. :M

Not sure what shooters you've been playing..with most, you're holding a gun ( usually) with both hands, slightly lower position, more relaxed, stand by position.
This could be intentional though ( with the wacky setting), main character running around like a lunatic, pointing gun at everyone.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Not sure what shooters you've been playing..with most, you're holding a gun ( usually) with both hands, slightly lower position, more relaxed, stand by position.
This could be intentional though ( with the wacky setting), main character running around like a lunatic, pointing gun at everyone.
I hope they implement holstering, if not, it would be one of their more retarded decisions in terms of immersion.

Yosharian

Arcane
I hope they implement holstering, if not, it would be one of their more retarded decisions in terms of immersion.
The game has holstering but that doesn't excuse the lack of an idle gun animation

Saerain

Augur
Patron

The colony on the edge of the galaxy seems hard to judge without knowing the rest of the setting, like travel tech, how many other worlds we have, how colonies are established...

We could've dominated the galaxy long ago and this is some backwater world on the outskirts. Or it could be one of the first exoplanetary colonies, so far away because we have no FTL and it's just where a wormhole led.

As for the style, it leans into the early- to mid-20th century much like Fallout. Maybe it uses an alternate history as well. Futurama's style was much inspired by the 50s and 60s visions of the future, probably why you're reminded of it.

HarveyBirdman

Liturgist
- Frozen player character gets unthawed and is the sole survivor. Fallout4.exe
- Pickle Rick opens the door to let you out
- Ellen Degeneres playing "gruff dyke" is your sidekick
- Mr. Scientist sends you on quest revolving around toothpaste with no indication that the triviality is supposed to be tounge-in-cheek
- Ellen Degeneres playing "gruff dyke 2.0" is the only other female you see, so I guess thats how women are in the Outer Worlds

It's gonna be a good game bros.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom