Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
GEOMETRIC SHAPES MAN

Behold the building blocks of reality
Now become dimensions of personality

World and Mind, same base blocks
Triangles my man, see what they unlock?

Atomino_-_1991_-_Psygnosis_Limited.jpg

Simple Simon

Scholar
Comparing this game with Kingmaker is pretty apples and oranges

It seems modern developers don't believe in this as a solution. They think players, even popamole players, will always want to create their characters, and they're probably right.

In Shamus Young's recent article on Anthem, he points out that you spend time customizing your character's face but it is never seen. "At the start of the game, you’re allowed to customize your face, but then that face never shows up in cutscenes because the game takes place entirely in a first person view. It feels less like I’m controlling the protagonist of an epic story and more like I’m viewing the world through a GoPro strapped to the forehead of a supporting character." https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/02/26/anthem-doesnt-care-about-its-own-story/

I realize character customization can include both cosmetic and gameplay oriented elements. But to your point about developers responding to perceived market desires, clearly Bioware or EA thought some form of character customization is what the user base wanted so that's where resources were directed even though it has little to no impact on the game. Personally, I have enough of an imagination that I can empathize with my player character and immerse myself in their world even if I did not create the features of the person I am playing as.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
In Shamus Young's recent article on Anthem, he points out that you spend time customizing your character's face but it is never seen. "At the start of the game, you’re allowed to customize your face, but then that face never shows up in cutscenes because the game takes place entirely in a first person view. It feels less like I’m controlling the protagonist of an epic story and more like I’m viewing the world through a GoPro strapped to the forehead of a supporting character." https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/02/26/anthem-doesnt-care-about-its-own-story/

I realize character customization can include both cosmetic and gameplay oriented elements. But to your point about developers responding to perceived market desires, clearly Bioware or EA thought some form of character customization is what the user base wanted so that's where resources were directed even though it has little to no impact on the game. Personally, I have enough of an imagination that I can empathize with my player character and immerse myself in their world even if I did not create the features of the person I am playing as.
1) You right now trying to compare a two COMPLETELY different games (in their very concept).
2) I personally know shitload people who like character creation and getting stuck in customization menu for hours, while perfectly knowing that they will wearing helmet on their head all the time.
3) I have never met person who suggested to me a thing like "It's better to go with preset character, than create your own". I know everything can be in first time, but the very fucking fact that I don't even remember that people ever mention preset characters from Fallout 1,2 games or Arcanum tells for itself.
Edit: Never mind, I found this one "S.P.E.C.I.A.L" person in comments above who was picking preset character in Fallout games.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Comparing this game with Kingmaker is pretty apples and oranges

It seems modern developers don't believe in this as a solution. They think players, even popamole players, will always want to create their characters, and they're probably right.

there are people in warframe who have spent hundreds of hours customizing their operator and you barely ever see them at all
you underestimate autism

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, Feargus says Obsidian now have "three-ish" (actually four) teams. Outer Worlds, finishing up PoE2, and two new projects.

He says he can't talk about who will own the rights to make future Outer Worlds games, Take-Two or Microsoft. Guess it's something that's getting hashed out by the suits.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Very Feargusy admission:

The concept that became The Outer Worlds actually started before Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky were assigned to the project. Obsidian's owners wanted to make a sci-fi game, but Feargus also thought that straight-up Star Trek-style sci-fi doesn't sell as well as fantasy and post-apocalyptic, so he decided it would be "post-apocalyptic sci-fi" ("Fallout meets Firefly").

Tim and Leonard then took that initial concept and went in their own direction.

Cross

Arcane
Very Feargusy admission:

The concept that became The Outer Worlds actually started before Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky were assigned to the project. Obsidian's owners wanted to make a sci-fi game, but Feargus also thought that straight-up Star Trek-style sci-fi doesn't sell as well fantasy and post-apocalyptic, so he decided it would be "post-apocalyptic sci-fi" ("Fallout meets Firefly").

Wow, who could have possibly seen that com-

I find it hard to believe this is Cain and Boyarsky's dream project when it's such an obvious attempt to bank on the positive reputation of Fallout: New Vegas, an Obsidian game neither of them had any involvement with. Yet for some baffling reason, they decided that what people really must have liked about New Vegas and that they had to recreate were the terrible combat and VATS. Even the laughably awkward killcam looks like it came straight out of a Bethesda game.

The focus on companions is also much more characteristic of Obsidian games than it is of Troika games.
Unfortunately, Feargus being the one behind the pitch is a huge red flag. He was also the one who, together with Chris Parker, pitched the idea for Alpha Protocol.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Doesn't sound like what the owners came up with was much of a pitch, more like the seed of a pitch. The whole corporations thing, for example, seems to come from Tim & Leonard.

That Obsidian would someday try to create their own take on Fallout: New Vegas was always obvious - it was a matter of when not if.

Quillon

Arcane
He was also the one who, together with Chris Parker, pitched the idea for Alpha Protocol.

So? AP was a great idea! Whatever inhuman shit Feargus, Parker etc. may be, at least they let, give way, pitch their asses off for great RPGs to be made. And now with MS handling biz-side of things they'll be much more involved with development! Get excited :hahano:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Doesn't sound like what the owners came up with was much of a pitch, more like the seed of a pitch. The whole corporations thing, for example, seems to come from Tim & Leonard.

That was a question? I didn't assume otherwise from the way Tim and Leonard talk about the game and the whole Tim, Chris (Jones) and Leonard's after work meal thing (where they discussed HOW they would make a sci-fi rpg) they mentioned in the last interview.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

That was a question? I didn't assume otherwise from the way Tim and Leonard talk about the game and the whole Tim, Chris (Jones) and Leonard's after work meal thing (where they discussed HOW they would make a sci-fi rpg) they mentioned in the last interview.
Pretty sure Infinitron was replying to Cross' assertion that the idea coming from Feargus was a red flag. As we've all seen, the initial idea rarely means much without implementation; the best of ideas can result in a shitty game and the most derivative of ideas can still end up as something good.

So, Feargus says Obsidian now have "three-ish" (actually four) teams. Outer Worlds, finishing up PoE2, and two new projects.

He says he can't talk about who will own the rights to make future Outer Worlds games, Take-Two or Microsoft. Guess it's something that's getting hashed out by the suits.

Bets that one of the two new projects is Feargus' oft-stated desire to make a new Skyrim?

Duraframe300

Arcane

Pretty sure Infinitron was replying to Cross' assertion that the idea coming from Feargus was a red flag. As we've all seen, the initial idea rarely means much without implementation; the best of ideas can result in a shitty game and the most derivative of ideas can still end up as something good.

Ah, I got that, just in general that was never a question for me even before today.

I also doubt a sci-fi setting was far from both their minds in the first place. They have already done their takes on Post-Apocalypse and Fantasy after all.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
About the shapes discussion- here is in pictures what the problem may be if the UI is poor or under-documented with vague terms as average/fair/excellent and such.
This:
y6cfqMt.jpg

In here:
vVpBGDN.jpg

Without this:
8jlMuox.jpg

Would be ridiculous.

I don't think Cain and especially Boyarsky are that retarded to not have character sheet with solid numbers. More so when there are floating damage numbers in combat.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This ugly son of a bitch (Feargus) will leave his genes in the wild while Cain's genes will wither and die.

Life is not fair.

Edit: If I listen more of his bullshit then I will probably not buy the game. Sleazy bastard.

Codex Year of the Donut
Very Feargusy admission:

The concept that became The Outer Worlds actually started before Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky were assigned to the project. Obsidian's owners wanted to make a sci-fi game, but Feargus also thought that straight-up Star Trek-style sci-fi doesn't sell as well fantasy and post-apocalyptic, so he decided it would be "post-apocalyptic sci-fi" ("Fallout meets Firefly").

He's probably right tbh, a lot of popular scifi are space operas, post-apocalyptic, and space westerns.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
This will be a great game or it will be shit. I too am on a budget. May the best game or ungame win.

It appears they are using Unreal for an engine. This is it folks. It doesn't get better.

I've isolated and learned everything I can from these game designers. I hope I can give them something back for them to prosper as I have.

Freedom.
Suspension of Disbelief.
Reactivity.

I wish there were more interviews to watch. Soon we'll know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom