Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vulpes

Scholar
WTF? How come Cyberpunk 2077 isn't on that list while shit like Watch Dogs and Soy Wars are?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What did she wrote,anything good?

She wrote:

- Bleden Mark for Tyranny. I thought all of the Archons were well written in the game and the conversation with them (especially Tunon) some of the better moments in the game.

- Fort Deadlight for Deadfire. This area has been a fan favourite. Writing for it was up to par, and Jorge Salgado & team on the area fleshed it out quite nicely.

- Furrante and Aeldys. Bunch of lesser pirate faction characters as well.

- Dunnage, The Gullet & The Narrows, Crookspur and The Undercroft.

Her companions so far have been Beast-In-Shadows (haven't used her in Tyranny, so no idea, but no one here liked her) and Xoti. Xoti is a bit of a mess. I get what she was trying, but I think the accent on Xoti fucked that character completely for me. Also I found Xoti's writing inconsistent. It would be good for a moment and then turn into shit again. This could be due to Sawyer/Patel and their instructions on the companion and where they want to take her, or it could be just Starks struggling to make Xoti fit the Pillars universe. But she can definately write good characters. Those pirates and Bleden Mark were well done and that's why I'm interested in seeing what she can do under different project director, especially when it's Boyarsky making sure these characters and companions really fit his idea of the game.

The same argument can be made for Paul Kirsch as well. He has done some really good work on Deadfire (and the DLCs) and Tyranny + something that hasn't really hit the mark. For example Tayn was well done on the last Deadfire DLC. His sidequests on Deadfire were good as well (Nemnok, Arkemyr, Concelhaut). Huana questline wasn't as strong as the pirate questline (imo), but then again the faction itself isn't that great to begin with. He wrote Tekehu, Maia and Fassina. Tekehu missed the mark (for most of Codex it seems), Maia was solid and I have no idea about Fassina.
For Tyranny he wrote 3 of the Archons (Tunon, Graven Ashe and Voices of Nerat) which were like I said some of the better material in the game. Barik and Verse I found decent enough as companions and don't really have any compaints on those two. His time on The Outer Worlds probably was more limited than Starks' since Kirsch stayed on the Deadfire team to finish the DLC's while Starks moved on to TOW as senior writer.
In other words,she should be kept away from companions! She seems to be good at environment crafting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Xoti is an annoying anachronism. Quite a bit of Starks' other NPC writing comes across as anachronistic, like tumblrkin finding themselves in a fantasy world. If any of that makes it through Boyarsky's editing passes at least it won't be so jarring in a futuristic sci-fi world.

Quillon

Arcane
Not only Best of E3, it's also nominated for Best Original Game, Best PC Game, and Best Roleplaying Game.

It totally sucks that bloodlines 2 wasn’t even nominated for the roleplaying category

Did it have a playable by the attendees demo at E3 tho?

They didn't include it on the ineligible list

Yup, in fact they disqualified it cos it was illegible; someone wrote mascarade instead of masquerade and system didn't accept and they ran out of time. True story.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not only Best of E3, it's also nominated for Best Original Game, Best PC Game, and Best Roleplaying Game.

It totally sucks that bloodlines 2 wasn’t even nominated for the roleplaying category

Did it have a playable by the attendees demo at E3 tho?

They didn't include it on the ineligible list

Yup, in fact they disqualified it cos it was illegible; someone wrote mascarade instead of masquerade and system didn't accept and they ran out of time. True story.
Ineligibility out of illegibility.

Vulpes

Scholar

Fucking hell, my sides are in orbit

Flou

Arbiter
The Real Fanboy
Her concept art on the Deadfire dlc's was flawless (hope I didn't get her in trouble at Obsidian
Yyq7dkE.png
Yyq7dkE.png
Yyq7dkE.png
)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom