Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

hexer

If you don't go in expecting a deep systems-driven sandbox, it's a pleasure to breeze through.

The reviewer makes it sound like having a lower IQ is something to be proud of.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This will be Deadfire vs. PFKM all over again

Kinnda my thoughts. Game looks about as innovative, original and noteworthy as Deadfire, except it's actually a new IP. Everything about it is beige. It's the most aggressively acceptable game I've seen in years. Sigh, at least it's not isometric I guess. Will come in handy in the barren months following the Christmas when there's nothing new to play and it's 8 bucks on a cd key store.

just

Liturgist
guess watching brazil didn't do the trick
I watched Brazil too, so this means I'm ready to be a game writer.
must watch movies for aspiring writers:
predator 1 and 2
terminator 1 and 2
die hard 1 and 2
lethal weapons 1,2 and 3
robocop
rambo first blood
total recall
demolition man

if you dislike any of the above you should switch career to journalism
i'll send the list to boyarsky to and hopefully he forces the writing crew to watch them (multiple times)

Duraframe300

Arcane
This will be Deadfire vs. PFKM all over again

Kinnda my thoughts. Game looks about as innovative, original and noteworthy as Deadfire, except it's actually a new IP. Everything about it is beige. It's the most aggressively acceptable game I've seen in years. Sigh, at least it's not isometric I guess. Will come in handy in the barren months following the Christmas when there's nothing new to play and it's 8 bucks on a cd key store.

I know we had the innovation debate already and New Vegas yadayada.

But send that comment 9 years into the past, change Deadfire with Storm of Zehir and its a right fit for a New Vegas comment. (well except the new IP part).

Duraframe300

Arcane
But send that comment 9 years into the past, change Deadfire with Storm of Zehir and its a right fit for a New Vegas comment. (well except the new IP part).

You seem very defensive about a game you haven't played yet.
That's ok. There was a time I was vigorously defending Numenera too.

I'm not defensive (At least regarding Outer Worlds).
That particular part of butthurt is something left over from 2010 where if you said something positive about New Vegas you immediatly got *It's just a Fallout 3 DLC* back

In general though (and that again has nothing to do with Outer Worlds) I don't care about innuvashion when it comes to quality of well, anything.
I appreaciate it very much (like with Disco Elysium), but its nothing that I consider on how much I like the game.

I don't go back to Fallout, Arcanum, Bloodlines, Planescape, BGII or anyother game because they were innovative or original for their time.
I go back to them because they are excellent games.
And oftentimes forced *innovashion* in newer games just falls flat on its face. You try it, then you never touch it again.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
QT Parvati
no.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
guess watching brazil didn't do the trick
I watched Brazil too, so this means I'm ready to be a game writer.
must watch movies for aspiring writers:
predator 1 and 2
terminator 1 and 2
die hard 1 and 2
lethal weapons 1,2 and 3
robocop
rambo first blood
total recall
demolition man

if you dislike any of the above you should switch career to journalism
i'll send the list to boyarsky to and hopefully he forces the writing crew to watch them (multiple times)
Actually, I'm going to watch Terminator: Dark Fate this week, so I expect to be hired at a senior narrative designer position.

But no, really, your whole list is full of violent and misogynistic movies, there is no way Obsidian will like it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't go back to Fallout, Arcanum, Bloodlines, Planescape, BGII or anyother game because they were innovative or original for their time.
But these are all in timeless isometric 2D, except Bloodlines. Plebean 1st person qick-aging 3D has to account for plebean expectations of its production values.

When you are a first person RPG the graphics are a selling point. And let's not bring up Deus Ex, Deus Ex was looking very well in its time.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Obsidian knows that involuntary celibates won't do romances. They're doing us a favor even sparing us the trouble seducing robotic AI. :dealwithit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom