Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yosharian

Arcane
Steam loads easily in offline mode if you set it to offline mode before losing your internet connection. If you do that, it won't try to update at all.

Quillon

Arcane
Has anybody who is not from California play/review this game yet? Would you use the word "safe" to describe TOW?

I would use "safe" to describe PoE & PoE2 but not for sjw political shit, the devs there just don't wanna add complicated systems/quests cos they tend to be buggier; meaning a quest like Beyond the Beef(tm) would be deemed too complicated and unworthy of commitment in a Josh Sawyer game these years, I wonder how it is in a Cainarsky game tho.

Last edited:

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
First german mainstream review gave it a lukewarm response with 83 %, saying the game is rather bland and uninspired, has lots of fetch quest, lacking motivation for protagonist, but good writing and side quests. Playlenght is somewhat between 20 and 30 hours. Also the game looks mediocre and the small budget is showing.

For reference, they gave the PoE games both PoE games 92 %.

Seems like Obsidian has more than one problem in their RPG department.

Duraframe300

Arcane
First german mainstream review gave it a lukewarm response with 83 %, saying the game is rather bland and uninspired, has lots of fetch quest, lacking motivation for protagonist, but good writing and side quests. Playlenght is somewhat between 20 and 30 hours.

Seems like Obsidian has more than one problem in their RPG department.

4Players (which imo I trust more) has it at 86.

Both critizize consequences a bit, but honestly both also only did one comprehensive run (as any early review). So, we'll see. That one review where even a small difference like talking once to a companion makes a difference to the ending has me a bit more calm on that aspect. We'll see anyway.

Also lacking motivation for the protagonist isn't an argument for me from what I've seen. Same opinion on that as on New Vegas.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
This twitch play autism is still on, wow.

They're making good progress, so proud of them. I wonder if they gonna take out the energy from Edgewater or the deserters.

Do we know what difficulty they are playing on?

I'm sick of watching people play on Normal, at least Cohh is doing a legit Supernova

I'm guessing story mode, which would allow standing around doing nothing while the companion picks the enemies up.

Duraframe300

Arcane
This twitch play autism is still on, wow.

They're making good progress, so proud of them. I wonder if they gonna take out the energy from Edgewater or the deserters.

Do we know what difficulty they are playing on?

I'm sick of watching people play on Normal, at least Cohh is doing a legit Supernova

I'm guessing story mode, which would allow standing around doing nothing while the companion picks the enemies up.

They actually already have recruited Parvati! Considering they barely survived against the first marauders when I went to bed that's impressive! :salute:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One of the writer for Game Radar is on r/game doing some ''AMA'' about the game. https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/dlhj87/the_outer_worlds_review_thread/f4q8wud/

His opinion about the game so far: ''Yeah. My personal score would probably be a 6 or 7, but mainly because I love the world exploration aspect of Fallout games and this doesn't have much of that at all. If they could've made a more refined combat system, similar to Fallout 4, that would've gone a long way in improving it too, but overall it's pretty good. Not my game of the year, but it has definitely scratched that first-person RPG itch for a while.''

His main problem with the game is the combat and overrall gameplay. It's janky. But he said that the writting is brillant , and probably the best part of the game. (https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/dlhj87/the_outer_worlds_review_thread/f4qk7a8/)

Hm, no open world is incline.
But combat at least on Fallout 4 level would be nice...

Duraframe300

Arcane
One of the writer for Game Radar is on r/game doing some ''AMA'' about the game. https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/dlhj87/the_outer_worlds_review_thread/f4q8wud/

His opinion about the game so far: ''Yeah. My personal score would probably be a 6 or 7, but mainly because I love the world exploration aspect of Fallout games and this doesn't have much of that at all. If they could've made a more refined combat system, similar to Fallout 4, that would've gone a long way in improving it too, but overall it's pretty good. Not my game of the year, but it has definitely scratched that first-person RPG itch for a while.''

His main problem with the game is the combat and overrall gameplay. It's janky. But he said that the writting is brillant , and probably the best part of the game. (https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/dlhj87/the_outer_worlds_review_thread/f4qk7a8/)

Hm, no open world is incline.
But combat at least on Fallout 4 level would be nice...

Others have said its better than F4. And then there are different builds....

As with all FPS combat it will depend on how it feels for you. It's certainly not a game you buy because of it in any case.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, I always installed a mod to change VATs into Bullet Time so I am very happy about that change.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So what review sites are actually considered to be "objective" and "fair" in their eyes of Codex? (if any, I mean most codexers dont even agree with its own reviews XD)

Duraframe300

Arcane
So what review sites are actually considered to be "objective" and "fair" in their eyes of Codex? (if any, I mean most codexers dont even agree with its own reviews XD)

NONE

:obviously: statements are established over time through shitposting on the codex.

...and your own personal enjoyment.

Xeon

Augur
I kinda like reviewer from IGN, Dan Simp something. He always posts in Games subreddit and give his opinion. He seemed to like the game. Giant Bomb also seem to like the game.

But probably better to just wait for what majority of the players say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom