Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

A horse of course

Yeah looks like a really polished, high quality title. Nothing like that janky, glitchy crap Bethesda puts out.
Use a webm instead of a gif. WIth a gif people can accuse you of cutting out frames on purpose.

https://gfycat.com/FilthyWhoppingComet

I cut out the hidden frames where the redditsaur throws a ninja star at the NPC and she collapses from the Neurotoxin.

Yosharian

Arcane
Even from that short gameplay vid you can tell it's leagues better than Fallout 4.
FilthyWhoppingComet-size_restricted.gif

Yeah looks like a really polished, high quality title. Nothing like that janky, glitchy crap Bethesda puts out.
Yes, I was definitely referring to the combat when I said that it was better than Fallout 4. Congratulations, you 'owned' me.

Dexter

Arcane
A lot less "excited" after seeing the gameplay-slice in action from a part of the game they were apparently "proud" enough of to show off. They need to work on that clunky combat and gun-hand movement, it looks like it's a rigid prop stuck to the camera that moves unnaturally just up and down a bit while "walking". It needs more variety in animations, some idle stuff where the hand goes down, playing around with the weapon & whatever to seem natural and less stiff.

From the companions shown so far, they seem to indeed be very generic like in Pillars. None of them seem special or like you'd want to know something more about them. The closest to actually having a personality that they've shown is Ellie. Felix and Nyoka seem even less interesting. KOTOR 2, NWN 2: MotB or even Alpha Protocol this seems not. It seems closer to Dungeon Siege III or Pillars of Eternity in that department, they need better character designers and writers.

The bland also seems to extend to various NPCs they've shown that seem very generic as others have said. The scientist in the Trailer at least looked somewhat different, but that doesn't seem to be true for any of the rest of NPCs they've shown. Where are the merchant-type seedy characters hocking their (corporate-approved or under the counter) wares? Immediately after they revealed the setting I was thinking about Travelling Medicine Shows and or Medicine Salesmen/Quacks. Where are the Penguin-looking fellas? Where are the sexy looking characters? Where are the cybernetics-using characters or those with cybernetic eyes or mechanical improvements and similar, or the sentient robots? Where are the amputees or horribly disfigured characters in fights against alien fauna or chemical accidents? Where are any possible sentient alien species? You're in space, on the great dangerous, unknown frontier where shit can go horribly wrong, only limited by your imagination, go wild! I thought they might show at least as much creativity as "id Software" did with RAGE. Instead everyone looks like they have the same body model with the same clothing choices, accessories and personality.

The level design shown so far also doesn't fill with confidence. Overworld looks very limited and compressed with objectives very close within walking distance (in the Gameplay shown it seemed to always be about ~200m for the next objective). Indoors looks like the good old days of the uninspired level designer just making a few nondescript connected rooms and filling them with crates and some random clutter to make them seem less empty, instead of anything organic:
outerworlds1xifb1.jpg

outerworlds2d6fbe.jpg

outerworlds36xc0d.jpg

outerworlds48gi09.jpg

Not so sure about this anymore. One can only hope this is some non-descript boring fetch-quest, but if so why would they choose to present this as their first gameplay after getting everyone excited and interested instead of showing one of their main hubs like EdgeWater and some more interesting characters/quests like Cyberpunk did?

Last edited:

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Wunderbar, I do know both quest compass and quest markers are present in the game. I'm more wondering if it will be a viable option to turn them off completely and still be able to navigate quests competently with the information provided you by quest-givers.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Your issue appears to be the amount of damage the player character can absorb.
That's a reductive interpretation of something that's actually quite complicated.

It's not just about damage taken, it's about the ability to restore HP easily, the way enemies react to incoming fire and the way they deal it out, etc. Also just AI in general.

Again: you can't create a tense gunplay system just by cranking HP sliders, and the same logic applies to cranking incoming-damage sliders.

Honestly I remember the exact same discussion here during F:NV when a gameplay slice came out. Like exactly the same.

You can draw your own conclusions from that but... yeah.

I myself expect at least another New Vegas in Quality (With less heights due to quality of writers). Otherwise I'd be a little disappointed in Tim and Leonard.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Your issue appears to be the amount of damage the player character can absorb.
That's a reductive interpretation of something that's actually quite complicated.

It's not just about damage taken, it's about the ability to restore HP easily, the way enemies react to incoming fire and the way they deal it out, etc. Also just AI in general.

Again: you can't create a tense gunplay system just by cranking HP sliders, and the same logic applies to cranking incoming-damage sliders.

Honestly I remember the exact same discussion here during F:NV when a gameplay slice came out. Like exactly the same.

You can make your own conclusions from that but... yeah.

I myself expect at least another New Vegas in Quality (With less heights due to quality of writers). Otherwise I'd be a little disappointed in Tim and Leonard.
Ah yes, Fallout: New Vegas, that game renowned for its stellar gunplay

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The main thing folks need to wake up to is that this game is not intended for codexers. It's intended for the crowds who thought FO4 was neat but 76 was too broken and who maybe liked the oh-so-quirky humor of Borderlands. The same sort of people who think that seeing a skill check in a dialog window is the next coming of Christ.
People who think having skill checks in dialogue is the Second Coming? Sounds like half the Codex! :happytrollboy:

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The main thing folks need to wake up to is that this game is not intended for codexers. It's intended for the crowds who thought FO4 was neat but 76 was too broken and who maybe liked the oh-so-quirky humor of Borderlands. The same sort of people who think that seeing a skill check in a dialog window is the next coming of Christ.
People who think having skill checks in dialogue is the Second Coming? Sounds like half the Codex! :happytrollboy:
i dont really mind if they meet in the middle.

new vegas was in a pretty good position. so is witcher 3 imo. it does enough to satisfy my big budget RPG itch, while being accessible to the masses.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Glenda, you were thin skinned enough to ignore me for asking a jokey question, whaddya doing going on peeking in on my convos anyway?
Yes, I'm thin skinned and I'm just trying to learn how to survive in this place. Ignoring unpleasant people is currently my first line of defense and also being as obnoxious as possible seems like a good idea, you know, best defense is good offense... or something.
Already 10 people on ignore you're doing great.

Terenty

Liturgist
How they managed to make unreal 4 game look exactly like shitty gamebryo is quite amazing. Only the environments is ten time worse than 3 years old fallout 4. Look at these completely static pink trees, what a taste, what an art style, bravo!

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
How they managed to make unreal 4 game look exactly like shitty gamebryo is quite amazing. Only the environments is ten time worse than 3 years old fallout 4. Look at these completely static pink trees, what a taste, what an art style, bravo!
They even took the quest compass. They're not even trying to hide it, they're making a Bethesda game without licensing Bethesda IP. Oh sure, it's going to have slightly better writing.. if you're a commie who enjoys rick&morty. The trailer does not exactly bode well to the level and amount of garbage humor this is going to feature.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
True sequel to Fallouts will be Atom RP not this I expect colorful and silly FP shooter with some RPG elements, fun gun-play and writing a bit better than Fallout 4 had. If Obshitian will make game with not to much bugs I will happily go onto high seas to demo her. Just don't expect it to be New Vegas II those talented writers Obshitian had left long ago and were replaced by librul college kids.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I doubt there is such a thing as a "Bethesda Game" IP.

Even if there was, "intellectual" would have been an overstatement. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom