Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
Sorry if this has been addressed earlier in the the thread or in an interview already, but are quests going to be complete-able based on context, ie - without the use of quest compass and markers? Please someone tell me yes.
No mainstream journalist is going to ask this question. Assume it's not going to happen.

Nah, they'd ask now and it should happen, even AC: Odyssey have it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking of IPs, it's crazy how much the models and animations look like Fallout 3/4's. You might think Obsidian have copied animations directly from Fallout 3/4 although it would have made no sense.

upload_2018-12-8_11-53-22.png

hexer

Speaking of IPs, it's crazy how much the models and animations look like Fallout 3/4's. You might think Obsidian have copied animations directly from Fallout 3/4 although it would have made no sense.

View attachment 10148

In that particular scene I'm more worried how they made the raptidon hit her with 3 feet of empty space between them.
Developers need to tweak collision boxes a lot!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Glenda, you were thin skinned enough to ignore me for asking a jokey question, whaddya doing going on peeking in on my convos anyway?
Yes, I'm thin skinned and I'm just trying to learn how to survive in this place. Ignoring unpleasant people is currently my first line of defense and also being as obnoxious as possible seems like a good idea, you know, best defense is good offense... or something.
Already 10 people on ignore you're doing great.
But will it manage to get to my heights? :smug:

Terenty

Liturgist

Yeah, its uncanny. Its like Todd Howard planted an undercover group of devs into Obsidian midst to ensure the game wouldn't look better than fallout 76

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

View attachment 10148

In that particular scene I'm more worried how they made the raptidon hit her with 3 feet of empty space between them.

That's true, although melee combat and melee vs ranged combat will forever look clunky, until we start playing completely in VR. The screen and the weapon HUD makes it impossible to gauge how far your melee weapon will hit or how far your melee enemy can reach.

Here is another one. Tell me this doesn't look like it's been ripped off from Fallout 3:

0SbbVq0.png

Edit: the fact that enemies and companions have these lunge animations from quite a distance away certainly doesn't help the player's perception either.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

View attachment 10148

That's true, although melee combat and melee vs ranged combat will forever look clunky, until we start playing completely in VR. The screen and the weapon HUD makes it impossible to gauge how far your melee weapon will hit or how far your melee enemy can reach.

Here is another one. Tell me this doesn't look like it's been ripped off from Fallout 3:

0SbbVq0.png
I see no problem if it is. Who doesn't want New Vegas 2?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think the game is aimed at:
1) FO4 players crowd (which is very fortunately for Obsidian pissed by FO76 right now and wants some decent ""Fallout"" experience);
2) Players who think FO3 was a decent RPG, but FO4 RPG aspects were a bit lacking.

Not the hardcore RPG players.

sullynathan

Arcane
Obviously. New Vegas is Obsidian's most popular, best selling and well known game and public and mainstream opinion of it is very positive especially when you factor in that it sold exactly as well as Fallout 3 did. They even have the tagline of "Made by the original creators of Fallout", combined with the similar gameplay to Modern Fallout and the continuing negative reception for every new Bethesda Fallout game helps Obsidian.

I was actually surprised that the trailer on YouTube is nearing 2 million views and is trending.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah, its uncanny. Its like Todd Howard planted an undercover group of devs into Obsidian midst to ensure the game wouldn't look better than fallout 76

I don't mean to get ahead of myself but are you suggesting Todd Howard has a group of highly intelligent shapeshifting gremlins at his disposal?

Doktor Best

Arcane

I don't mean to get ahead of myself but are you suggesting Todd Howard has a group of highly intelligent shapeshifting gremlins at his disposal?

Todd Howard IS a highly intelligent shapeshifting gremlin. The only thing he cant manipulate is body height, which is why hes such a manlet.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I fucking knew it. I initially thought he was Sully from Commando with a name/career change, but now it all makes sense why you never see Todd Howard in direct sunlight.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You complain about graphics, animations combat? Are you serious? What about gameplay, RPG aspect, quests, C&C, branching story and other stuff that, you know, matters in a game.
If this demo had good graphics you would have said that was their focus, if it had good animations you would have said they try to compete with RDR2, if it had Soulsborne level of combat you would have said it's popamole for retards. WTF?
I'd take shit combat, poor animations (has any of you played DARK (2013)? Good game but the worst animations I've seen) and Deus Ex/Vtmb graphics anytime if that meant good story, choices, reactivity, variety of builds, good, polished gameplay and just being a good game overall. Game, not interactive movie.

Terenty

Liturgist

Theres no other explanation to this... except that the real designers at Obsidian are highly unintelligent gremlins, but i refuse to believe that

Paul_cz

Arcane
Obviously. New Vegas is Obsidian's most popular, best selling and well known game and public and mainstream opinion of it is very positive especially when you factor in that it sold exactly as well as Fallout 3 did. They even have the tagline of "Made by the original creators of Fallout", combined with the similar gameplay to Modern Fallout and the continuing negative reception for every new Bethesda Fallout game helps Obsidian.

I was actually surprised that the trailer on YouTube is nearing 2 million views and is trending.

I just checked their youtube channel. The Outer Worlds trailer is most watched video there by far. I find it interesting though that they only have 60K subscribers, when even Warhorse who only made a single game so far (and created the channel three years after Obsidian) have over 120K (and 6 million more views in total).

I am glad this video and game seems to be taking off. I want Obsidian to make Bloodlines/New Vegas-like RPGs that let me explore interesting 3D worlds without losing good writing and quest design. Obviously it remains to be seen if Tim and Leon can still pump out that level of quality, and their senile performance with Fallout 1 stream was both amusing and worrying, but I am hopeful.

True sequel to Fallouts will be Atom RP not this I expect colorful and silly FP shooter with some RPG elements, fun gun-play and writing a bit better than Fallout 4 had. If Obshitian will make game with not to much bugs I will happily go onto high seas to demo her. Just don't expect it to be New Vegas II those talented writers Obshitian had left long ago and were replaced by librul college kids.

I did not know about Atom, I just checked some letsplays and wow that is a total russian Fallout rip-off in the best way. If they can have good writing and translation, it could be awesome.

Anyway, from kinda fanboyish perspective, I am just fucking glad we are talking about an actual singleplayer storydriven RPG from Tim and Leon. They were so long in those deadend bullshits of Blizzard and Carbine I was worried this time would never come.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I see where you get Mass Effect, as that's what the combat most reminded me of, too. But Fallout 4? Just because of the graphics? Based on all of the articles and interviews the only modern Fallout this will be comparable to is New Vegas. Whether it turns out to be anywhere near as good is another question. However, that's obviously what they're aiming for in terms of gameplay, dialogue, quest structure (frankly, the quest design philosophy is better than F:NV's, which didn't always give you the talk/stealth/kill troika. Whether they can come close to F:NV in terms of quest narratives... that's a pretty high bar).
The visual styles does give some unpleasant Fallout 4 flashbacks, yes. But the combat also looked as wooden as F4.From ME there are companion mechanics and spaceship with same functionality as normandy And those games I hated the most.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Your issue appears to be the amount of damage the player character can absorb.
That's a reductive interpretation of something that's actually quite complicated.

It's not just about damage taken, it's about the ability to restore HP easily, the way enemies react to incoming fire and the way they deal it out, etc. Also just AI in general.

Again: you can't create a tense gunplay system just by cranking HP sliders, and the same logic applies to cranking incoming-damage sliders.

If you expecting a tense gunplay from this game, I guarantee you it's not gonna happen, and most of us knew that long before the gameplay video.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom