Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Merit/flaws system in itself is not a problem, and was a fun part of character creation in PnP games like GURPS or Vampire. I don't understand the fuss about it. Was GURPS decline?

Of course if they just add a -2 here to get a +3 there, it's gonna be silly and irrelevant but I doubt it can have a big impact on the game, as you can just ignore it.

ciox

Liturgist
Well it makes it more dynamic to switch in-game. I'm sure you can't go back once you've chosen a phobia/negative trait, so you have to choose carefully. If you did it at character creation you'd have no idea what you're doing in the game. And the game actually automatically tracks your negative traits, like you're having trouble fighting robots so do you want to take that as a quirk to gain a perk. I think it's a pretty cool system myself. Sort of dynamic perks/quirks.

It's a very gamey-mechanic, obviously, but I like trying to tie it to actual game experiences rather than just throwing it into character generation. We'll see how it works in practice, but I'd rather they try new stuff than not at this point.

Okay, let's be real here for a second.

You don't really know what the fuck is going on with Raptoids or any other mob type, just because you had a few encounters with them where you took damage, compared to what you know at the start of the game during char gen or perk selection.

You have about as much of an idea of how often you will encounter them during the game, and if there will be a Raptizilla encounter waiting for you where you really don't want to have the phobia, as you would during char gen, meaning none at all.
Now you can make some basic judgement like "they are melee only so I can take this flaw because I am a ranged kiter" but you still know nothing about what their greater versions and abilities are like or what their future dungeons will be like, not more than you know at the beginning of the game anyway, if it decided to ask you if you feared either fanged beasts or steel bots or strong womyn.

There's very little that's dynamic and informative about it, it just slices the selection of character traits apart into bite-sized chunks to make it less stressful and more palatable.

L3t2M9P.png

Sentinel

Arcane
has x360 UI, can't be Outer Worlds. Don't remember anything like that in BioShock Infinite unless it's one of the DLCs. Although looking at that art, doesnt look like BioShock Infinite at all.

PS: nevermind that is the Bioshock infinite pistol on the right corner.

jf8350143

Liturgist
It's like some people here only play the game so they can be min/max their characters to the teeth so they can complain about how the game's difficulty is a absolute joke.

Father Foreskin

Learned
Last night i broke into Obsidians Office. My aim was to steal Sawyers bike bacause a codexer offered me good money if I got him the bike so he could sniff the seat. I didnt find the bike but I found a developer diary. Im leaving out the authors name but here are some highlights.

December 28th: Was drunk at the office again. Some fucker from Microsoft called and told me to finish the game as fast as possible to make room for their shit. He sounded like some Indian call-center leftover. I told him to go finish himself.

January 3rd: The publisher called and said the quick time events dont work. I tried to explain thats the dialogue system, there are no QTE in the game. He said he wants some lights to flash when he clicks on things. I said ok. I wonder what he meant.

January 5th: For the love of fuck. Feargus has hired an another author for the project. Its one of those fat pink haired things. Thank god im gay and colorblind.

January 8th: I could be fully blind and i would take deaf too. The fucking biomass writing the story is "snacking" constantly. Its churning through 3rd bag of Doritos today. Why cant it rain Vodka?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Last night i broke into Obsidians Office. My aim was to steal Sawyers bike bacause a codexer offered me good money if I got him the bike so he could sniff the seat. I didnt find the bike but I found a developer diary. Im leaving out the authors name but here are some highlights.

December 28th: Was drunk at the office again. Some fucker from Microsoft called and told me to finish the game as fast as possible to make room for their shit. He sounded like some Indian call-center leftover. I told him to go finish himself.

January 3rd: The publisher called and said the quick time events dont work. I tried to explain thats the dialogue system, there are no QTE in the game. He said he wants some lights to flash when he clicks on things. I said ok. I wonder what he meant.

January 5th: For the love of fuck. Feargus has hired an another author for the project. Its one of those fat pink haired things. Thank god im gay and colorblind.

January 8th: I could be fully blind and i would take deaf too. The fucking biomass writing the story is "snacking" constantly. Its churning through 3rd bag of Doritos today. Why cant it rain Vodka?
Hahaha it will be a great note in some survival horror game. Soooo what is written on the second page?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's like some people here only play the game so they can be min/max their characters to the teeth so they can complain about how the game's difficulty is a absolute joke.
I see that you haven't met dragonul09 and his arrow shooting mad skillz. He can shoot a hungarian in the eye from a meter!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This sounds like the intro to a Thief mission.

Deleted Member 16721

Okay, let's be real here for a second.

You don't really know what the fuck is going on with Raptoids or any other mob type, just because you had a few encounters with them where you took damage, compared to what you know at the start of the game during char gen or perk selection.

You have about as much of an idea of how often you will encounter them during the game, and if there will be a Raptizilla encounter waiting for you where you really don't want to have the phobia, as you would during char gen, meaning none at all.
Now you can make some basic judgement like "they are melee only so I can take this flaw because I am a ranged kiter" but you still know nothing about what their greater versions and abilities are like or what their future dungeons will be like, not more than you know at the beginning of the game anyway, if it decided to ask you if you feared either fanged beasts or steel bots or strong womyn.

There's very little that's dynamic and informative about it, it just slices the selection of character traits apart into bite-sized chunks to make it less stressful and more palatable.

But that doesn't matter so much, because the point still stands - you still have SOME idea of what the enemies are like before you select a negative trait. At char creation you have zero. When negative traits are selected maybe you have 25% experience of what the enemies are like that you're doing poorly against since the game tracks it. It will also be a risky endeavor on harder difficulty levels. But even if it's not perfect it still gives you some idea instead of none of what the enemies you are facing are going to be like. That's when you choose and roll with the punches, hoping for the best.

So it's still more dynamic and informative than selecting at character creation. You've played the game awhile and know a little bit more about it and how certain enemies react, etc..

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Flaw system feels backwards. You have a hard time against a certain type of enemy... so the game offers to make it even harder, at the consolation prize of a perk point.

Shouldn't the offer be to make you stronger against that enemy, at the cost of something else? So you aren't picking a flaw, you pick a flaw to overcome.

It makes sense for the type of choice they use to be part of character creation (you have phobia of animals since childhood which makes you weaker against them, but all the time running from them has given you a bonus to running speed) while as a reactive type of choice, it makes little sense at all. No one wants an in-game offer to get weaker. We want an offer to make ourselves stronger.

Deleted Member 16721

You get stronger at the cost of a negative trait. It's cool because it makes the game more challenging and risky. You're already doing bad against spiders, do you want to take the spider penalty but get stronger at something else? It's a risk/reward and it's an innovative system that isn't something that's been done before in that way.

Codex Year of the Donut
It makes sense for the type of choice they use to be part of character creation (you have phobia of animals since childhood which makes you weaker against them, but all the time running from them has given you a bonus to running speed) while as a reactive type of choice, it makes little sense at all.
Because nobody ever develops phobias of something as a result of trauma?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You get stronger at the cost of a negative trait. It's cool because it makes the game more challenging and risky. You're already doing bad against spiders, do you want to take the spider penalty but get stronger at something else? It's a risk/reward and it's an innovative system that isn't something that's been done before in that way.
the autist in me say take the phobia for easy enemies, then get a perk so you have the benefits and a minor annoyance in squashing the bugs trashes

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The Flaw system feels backwards. You have a hard time against a certain type of enemy... so the game offers to make it even harder, at the consolation prize of a perk point.

Shouldn't the offer be to make you stronger against that enemy, at the cost of something else? So you aren't picking a flaw, you pick a flaw to overcome.

It makes sense for the type of choice they use to be part of character creation (you have phobia of animals since childhood which makes you weaker against them, but all the time running from them has given you a bonus to running speed) while as a reactive type of choice, it makes little sense at all. No one wants an in-game offer to get weaker. We want an offer to make ourselves stronger.

Think of it this way:

In every RPG ever you only get stronger (enemies get stronger also).

In real life as you go on you often get weaker also, you get injuries, get sick etc.

This might make the game more challenging without having scaled enemies etc.

Modron

Arcane

Codexers complaining about ability to tailor difficulty and make games harder now I have seen everything.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This is basically Traits, but instead of choosing two at character creation, you are choosing them like Perks as you go and grow.
Don't know about the execution, but the idea is solid. Autism overflow was unnecessary, but totally expected from the Codex members who will find anything to bitch about.

Codex Year of the Donut
This is basically Traits, but instead of choosing two at character creation, you are choosing them like Perks as you go and grow.
Don't know about the execution, but the idea is solid. Autism overflow was unnecessary, but totally expected from the Codex members who will find anything to bitch about.
anything that differs from established formulas causes autists to freak out

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom