Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yea FNW wins hands down in the story and writing department, it's fallout ffs, and it's new vegas, which is the good new fallout game.

TOW had/have the potential to contain a great story, i'm still kind of waiting for it ;)

Inb4 Obsidian sues Kasparov for releasing Disco Elysium so close to Outer Worlds, obviously biasing peoples opinions when coming from a clear GOTY title to TOW.

SPACER'S CHOICE

Prime Junta

If I were making a game, I'd ban the name "Dave" and nothing else, just to make people wonder what I've got against people named Dave.

They should've pulled the registered trademark list from USPTO and banned all those, for thematic consistency. Want to name your character Knorr? Tough titty, pick something else.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a question. As someone who never played FNV - should I get FNV or TOW, or they can't really be compared?
Depends if you want to play a decent Fallout game (I assume you played original Fallouts) in a somewhat crappy engine and average combat, but with fairly interesting world, quests and great atmosphere.

Or a garbage junk with unfunny stupid jokes, world that makes no sense and quests that are basically Skyrim-tier and retarded combat (shoot a guy 10 times before he dies because HP bloat, LOL).

Lambach

Arcane
Akszhually, Obsidian do have a history of censoring character names - see NWN 2. Granted, the list is now expanded to a ridiculous number of things that could possibly offend the Twitterati, whereas NWN 2 only prevented you from using profanities (shit, fuck etc.)

GloomFrost

Arcane
So far after playing only for couple of hours i can tell that writing wise DE can relax. OW got the worst dialogues of all the Obsidian games. Caine? Boyarski? Come on!! Hopefully it will get better.

Maybe you should go read a book, you also never defined what is subjectively good

He mentioned DE, so I assume he already did go and read a book. :P
Ha ha ha a good one! But like i did mention before that at that point i only played for 2 hours and yes the game gets better later on. A solid first person RPG no more, no less.

Naraya

Arcane
I'm almost 100% sure that using Cheat Engine you could circumvent the name blacklist (editing the memory directly after chargen comes to mind, I doubt the check is performed anywhere after that point).

Prime Junta

I'm almost 100% sure that using Cheat Engine you could circumvent the name blacklist (editing the memory directly after chargen comes to mind, I doubt the check is performed anywhere after that point).

That'll really show them.

Codex Year of the Donut
Akszhually, Obsidian do have a history of censoring character names - see NWN 2. Granted, the list is now expanded to a ridiculous number of things that could possibly offend the Twitterati, whereas NWN 2 only prevented you from using profanities (shit, fuck etc.)
Censorship is shit, and blacklists are one of the worst forms of censorship.
Ah shit can't name my character "corna"(actual banned word), better name it NIGGERKILLER9000

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
OK, it's officially a shit game: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-it-an-sjw-agenda.129006/page-21#post-6376066

Fuller list of banned names here: https://pastebin.com/jTDiYsAy

I've checked many of them and all of it is true. What's funny is that "lewak" (leftist in Polish) is banned but not "prawak" (alt-right in Polish) and there are more examples of such double standards. I'm going to nuke this game from orbit. I didn't think it could be even more leftist than DE but they've outdone themselves.

LeonX TimCain

Oh noooo, someone might make a character called Hitler and kill women and brown people in a video game, oh nooooo
I made a character named HaircutAuthority and killed many women with bad haircuts. But that's the point: The game is sending mixed messages. You can totally play as a psychopathic, misogynistic facist, and that's okay. It's not okay to call yourself one however.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
NWN2, though, had multiplayer.

Deleted Member 22431

Microsoft needs to step in and do something about the low-level staff undercutting the senior staff or they'll have wasted a good chunk of money buying Feargus a new boat.

They desperately need a good lead writer.
Lead writer? How about that position called leader design? Ever heard of that? The problem is that they are hiring people with zero knowledge about game design, much less cRPGs, because they have degrees in women studies. Then the seniors there, who already lost their marbles and testosterone, are trying to make them learn their craft while they are releasing games to the public. In a sense, we are nothing but guinea pigs so that the Carry Patels of this world can learn their craft at the same time they portrait themselves as arrogant know-it-all types dismissing their male audience. You can't even choose a politically incorrect name, for fucks sake. The truth is that nothing in gaming matters to people like Tim Cain at this point. He doesn't want to play engrossing cRPGs because they are hard to learn and require effort, and he doesn't want to make them either because they will sell poorly. So they hire a bunch of Californian danger hairs and lead them into this mess of a game. This is it, guys. They are hitting rock bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The name banning thing is all about twitch.

Expect to see more games conforming to twitch rules so they don't alienate the precious streamer market. I've always said streaming was cancerous.

Mojobeard

Augur
How did they manage to make the robot companion this uninteresting? That's an achievement on its own.

I've even started to just entirely skip dialogue and guess what they want me to do from the available options. They most likely want me to empty a building of enemies and fetch something, and then it's going to make me choose between two equally boring factions.
I'll probably drop this garbage too, try out something else on goyim pass.

Vatnik Wumao

Expect to see more games conforming to twitch rules so they don't alienate the precious streamer market. I've always said streaming was cancerous.
I still don't understand how that is the developers' job to enforce Twitch's rules. If you are a Twitch streamer, you simply don't pick such a name and that's that.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
So absurd. How is that on the game's shoulders rather than the streamer's? Somebody put me out of my misery.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
quests that are basically Skyrim-tier

TOW quests are much better so than any shit that Skyrim have in entire game.. Even if some of them are fetch at least thats something more to them than do quest , get useless reward done.

The quests for the guy in edgewater to get the manuals , it's matter later in the line if you want resolve the main quest in a peaceful way. This way better than anything Skyrim had because at least serves a purpose. Maybe where all skyrim quest were there to waste your time and make play that garbage more time.

Think about the quests for the boomer in FNV. Mostly busy works that matter for getting them in your good side.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

You can generalise it to cult personality bullshit in general. People who think this way are the same retards who unironically think that elon musk is literally iron man or that steve jobs wasn't a hippy retard taking advantage of his friend etc...

To an extent. Yet there still are creative people who undeniably do their own thing in a particular way. It’s a continuum, books are most obviously products of a single mind, larger productions less so. Saying that individual creativity doesn’t matter is as much a fallacy as its opposite.

No yea but projects of this nature involve fuck ton more creative work then a few people can do. Sometimes it comes down to not even the individual creative people but the sanity feedback provided by the team. E,g you present some mechanic to the team and if the team is good, they immediately tell you if you are full of shit or not. Even the people that have some good ideas have plenty of shitty once. If they reach celebrity status, their bad ideas may actually start being implemented without pushback.

Except when a single amphetamine-enhanced man does it all on his own.

"After 1971 he [Erdős] also took amphetamines, despite the concern of his friends, one of whom (Ron Graham) bet him $500 that he could not stop taking the drug for a month. Erdős won the bet, but complained that during his abstinence, mathematics had been set back by a month: "Before, when I looked at a piece of blank paper my mind was filled with ideas. Now all I see is a blank piece of paper." After he won the bet, he promptly resumed his amphetamine use."

Erdos0-blog480.png

Naraya

Arcane

That'll really show them.
That was not my point :) The point was that it should be possible for you to play as a character called Hitler if you like.

Atchodas

Augur
OK, it's officially a shit game: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-it-an-sjw-agenda.129006/page-21#post-6376066

Fuller list of banned names here: https://pastebin.com/jTDiYsAy

I've checked many of them and all of it is true. What's funny is that "lewak" (leftist in Polish) is banned but not "prawak" (alt-right in Polish) and there are more examples of such double standards. I'm going to nuke this game from orbit. I didn't think it could be even more leftist than DE but they've outdone themselves.

LeonX TimCain

I have no idea what majority of these words mean, are they all curse words or what now im actually interested in them :D

Naraya

Arcane

Nah, streaming is completely fine as long as you have an open mind and the streamer is not an idiot. Saying streaming is a cancer is like wanting all knives to be banned because they can kill people.

Deleted Member 22431

The most important ones were the ones who did their job as described as part of a team effort to reach a singular goal while having good leadership.
Somehow I don't think Boyarsky said this to the character artists: "Yeah, you know what? Those women? Make them all ugly. Like, tales from the crypt ugly. Yeah." But apparently he also never bothered to step in and correct them while they were doing it. It's amazing that this came from the same people that went through all the effort to create those talking heads in Fallout.
Leadership appears to be AWOL and the low-level staff is just doing whatever they want.

Leadership is a notion that requires hierarchy, which is a political incorrect notion in this day and age since it requires inequality and some sort of coercion.

Boyarsky is a SJW type. He doesn't need to come up with nonsense to get along with it as long as it comes across as morally committed to good causes.

They uglified beautiful expensive models in Bethesda games. Do you really think that Obsidian danger hairs won't do the same thing with worse material?

Notice that the only good looking character in the whole game is a lesbian with an unresolved love affair. You can't make this up.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom