Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
> complains about fetch quests

> Ackchyually guyz thiz game iz so shitty that Fallout 4 is better than this!!!

I mean at least make sense and be consistent with your shitpost my dude.

Edit: See luj1 , for exemple, he always rate my posts asretadred. Make sense and it's consistent.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Played through Edgewater > Groundbreaker > beginning of Roseway and I gotta agree that so far the story lacks excitement, fails to motivate the player, in other words the bland trend continues which they adopted with pillows one. I'm not hopeful if it'll pick up.

Also the game is like a less janky Fallout cos it either misses many gameplay/immersive sim systems of gamebyro or has under-developed ones. They didn't do a proper clone, if they'd tried they wouldn't have made it in 3 years. When you fully commit to cloning gamebyro, it takes twice as much time and the result is still janky af(KDC). This is only good IF they are gonna add missing systems in the future/build up on this game, otherwise they'd have been better off going full Mass Effect.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
> complains about fetch quests
Are you talking to me?

This thread may be useless in terms of discussing the game, but it sure helps picking out people who actually played Fallout 4.

I posted in the original Fallout 4 thread. I'm not proud of playing it but there was a RPG drought at that time and I was weak.

I never imagined Obsidian will create something less appealing than that.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the colour palette makes it really difficult to make out enemy mobs from a distance,everything just blends in.

I think it's something fucked with Unreal 4 engine. I play a lot of "realistic" shooters and they are all on Unreal 4. Post Scriptum, Squad and Hell Let Loose, and something with that engine just makes it almost impossible to see any targets at a distance. Like you say, everything just blends in. I have tried everything, increasing AA, removing it, increasing sharpening, increasing resolution, but nothing works and I don't think think it's a coincidence that all these games have the same problem.

Or I just need glasses.

Last edited:

Nines_Anarch

Learned
I forgot another one. In ELEX we have cool glasses:

SsWx8mw.png

I cannot say the same about TOW...

88j3VET.png

They tried... but they failed miserably. Not close at all.

Mustawd

MuH HUGE Openworld! tards are worse
than storytards.

And that’s quite a statement considering that I wouldn’t piss on a storytard if he/she/xe was on fire.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Played through Edgewater > Groundbreaker > beginning of Roseway and I gotta agree that so far the story lacks excitement, fails to motivate the player, in other words the bland trend continues which they adopted with pillows one. I'm not hopeful if it'll pick up.

Honestly I like that story is so low-key. Every space game opens up with supernovas going off and invasions from another galaxy.

Rafidur

Learned
Big fan of the cleaning robot, and how companions take his automated responses seriously.

"The Colony is rotten to the core, blah blah"

"Remember: large cleaning jobs may take more time!"

"You're right, SAM. Change doesn't happen overnight. Thanks for the talk."

orcinator

Liturgist
Played for a bit, don't think I have much to add that hasn't been said before (it's a fucking bethesda game with higher polycounts but worse aesthetics) besides the Supernova mode being way worse than one would expect.

All the food items are also temporary buffs (and relatively expensive to buy if you weren't flooded with em) so it feels weird having to pick which one to sacrifice to fill the meter. You can also only sleep on your ship (also the only place you can fast-travel to) so that's gonna get annoying. Also stat penalties come as soon as one of the meters drops by 2-% or so.
Companion permadeath is really annoying too since they either chase after enemies and die or refuse to even return fire. (and you can't save freely).

Enemies kill you real fast but they're also retarded so a stealth archer or even a regular stealth killer can trivialize them(as long as you keep your even more retarded companion away).

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Big fan of the cleaning robot, and how companions take his automated responses seriously.

"The Colony is rotten to the core, blah blah"

"Remember: large cleaning jobs may take more time!"

"You're right, SAM. Change doesn't happen overnight. Thanks for the talk."

He has a special moment with ADA

Quillon

Arcane

Honestly I like that story is so low-key. Every space game opens up with supernovas going off and invasions from another galaxy.

It should motivate me to continue playing at the same time, I don't want a "grand world ending threat" story either, in fact fuck grand threats and aliens and also FUCK MAGIC while you are at it cos why not.

Anyway, Parvati's quest is fucking joke, when reviews mentioned it I thought it was a little quest in which we'd help her on a date but turns out its a looong woke quest, I mean I'm soo looking forward to picking up cakes from Monarch for Parvati so she can have a perfect date, I'm soo motivated you can't believe! Love is in the air or something...

ArchAngel

Arcane
I mean maybe it's me coming off Disco, but this is just so bland and minimalistic. "Hi, here have a quest, ok bye" is basically every interaction in the first city. The graphics make my eyes bleed trying to pick out the enemies between the flower disco colors, and the character creation is uninspiring. New Vegas was way better than this shit, right? I mean, it's a playable game and I'll tinker with it a bit more, but I feel like a stupid FPS like Wolfenstein had more story than this supposed RPG.

Fallout 4 was better than this.
I just went through 10 secs long five stages of denial.

Is so true, sob.
In 2019 Todd Howard makes better games than Tim Cain.
Think about it.
Only game Howard made in 2019 was Fo76 and TOW is not that BAD.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Okay, 5 hours in, I gotta say I'm not seeing this alleged flood of SJW content. With Disco Elysium some people were convinced the game is trying to force them to join communist book club and it seems we're having the same mass psychosis here. First woman I met had normal hair, first town is run by a dude, no angry lesbians are accusing me of being a patriarchal oppressor and no people are stopping me on the street asking how to change their gender. I also I have yet to meet one person who talks like a valley girl, even though the game was supposedly full of them according to Propagand-Junta.

So far couple of women had leadership positions and some of them had freaky hair, that's about it, hardly out of ordinary for a modern game. Reading some early impressions made me think TOW guns are shooting rainbows and every NPC is trying to trick you into sucking his dick, but none of that materialized so far.

Seems like some posters are just running around chasing imaginary SJW boogeyman they already convinced themselves exists before even launching the game.
Nearly finished with the first area too. Definetely not seeing any of the SJW crap people have been ranting about. The hair + beard controversy was amusing, lots of knee-jerk outrage that people should just be laughing at - also, watching others get upset that ToW is not politically charged and preachy like they hoped - after Cain and Boyarsky said in interviews this was thier plan.
Not sure why people wanted the creators of Fallout to give them some kind of pretentious political lecture. Then again the people in this thread with that view almost always end by saying "Disco Elysium does this!" - enough said
rating_lulz.gif

ToW has a bit more of a narrow focus than New Vegas but still manages to keep it interesting, it's a solid game.

Cainarsky pretty much delivered on what they promised.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Junmarko passed the tutorial and still standing strong. Good job!

I give him 6 more hours before he breaks down and joins us in our shitposting heavan. Any other bets boyz?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Junmarko passed the tutorial and still standing strong. Good job!

I give him 6 more hours before he breaks down and joins us in our shitposting heavan. Any other bets boyz?
Lol. Really, that bad? Wait, have you just finished Disco Elysium too?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
No whores in Corporate Whore world.
Ironic how a venue of legit criticism of corporate commercialization of sex and their agenda laden support of sexual deviancy is not in the game due to real world corporate wanting safe games. Not that the game address the worst problems in the devs' immediate environment either, corporate welfare and state backed monopolies.

Noddy

Augur
Got bored, brutally murdered the entire populace of Edgewater. Felt no joy int it. Neither liked or disliked any of them enough of to take sastifaction in their destruction.
Fuck me this is bland. Could go explore Monarch now but thinking i'm gonna drop it and go fiddle with myself instead.

Jezal_k23

I think everyone who says Fallout 4 is better is just being edgy for edginess' sake (on the Codex? who would've thought!).

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
The disguise system is pretty fun. Just invaved the medicine area to talk with Jessie.

I hope it gets ton of uses because i almost using the respec thing to go full lock and hacking and use that badboy.

Yosharian

Arcane
Okay, 5 hours in, I gotta say I'm not seeing this alleged flood of SJW content. With Disco Elysium some people were convinced the game is trying to force them to join communist book club and it seems we're having the same mass psychosis here. First woman I met had normal hair, first town is run by a dude, no angry lesbians are accusing me of being a patriarchal oppressor and no people are stopping me on the street asking how to change their gender. I also I have yet to meet one person who talks like a valley girl, even though the game was supposedly full of them according to Propagand-Junta.

So far couple of women had leadership positions and some of them had freaky hair, that's about it, hardly out of ordinary for a modern game. Reading some early impressions made me think TOW guns are shooting rainbows and every NPC is trying to trick you into sucking his dick, but none of that materialized so far.

Seems like some posters are just running around chasing imaginary SJW boogeyman they already convinced themselves exists before even launching the game.
Nearly finished with the first area too. Definetely not seeing any of the SJW crap people have been ranting about. The hair + beard controversy was amusing, lots of knee-jerk outrage that people should just be laughing at - also, watching others get upset that ToW is not politically charged and preachy like they hoped - after Cain and Boyarsky said in interviews this was thier plan.
Not sure why people wanted the creators of Fallout to give them some kind of pretentious political lecture. Then again the people in this thread with that view almost always end by saying "Disco Elysium does this!" - enough said
rating_lulz.gif

ToW has a bit more of a narrow focus than New Vegas but still manages to keep it interesting, it's a solid game. Kind of what Arcanum was to Fallout 1.

Cainarsky pretty much delivered on what they promised.
*puts fingers in ears and closes eyes* La la la la I can't see or hear any of that stuff you say is in the game, guyz

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom