Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

911 Jumper

Learned

Four years in and almost half of the PSN base is still on PS4. I think it's more proof, if it were needed, that this gen has been lacklustre. There seems to be a common view that GTA6 will be the game that encourages people to leave last gen behind. Also, note how Sony's starting to sound like Microsoft with the “MAU” talk.

Ravielsk

Magister

Microsoft's quest for short-term $$$ is doing long-term damage to Windows, Surface, Xbox, and beyond​

https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...erm-damage-to-windows-surface-xbox-and-beyond

Microsoft has made a range of baffling decisions and awful mis-steps recently. You can trace everything back to insatiable desire for money.
The hunger for more money is the primary cause but a close second is the leadership. Modern managerial school of though teaches that a manager/higher up does not need to be proficient in what he is managing and in fact should rather be ignorant than knowledgeable. This mentality sometimes pushes into high positions people from outside the field that can think outside the box and have no problems pushing other outside of it as well. However that is extremely rare and more often than not, it promotes idiots whose main skill is manipulation and obfuscation rather than anything of actual value.

MS and the Xbox exhibit this exact defect. The managers are essentially trying to buy their "dominance" over the market without even knowing what the "market" even is or what it even means to be dominant in it. The end result is their current crazy spending spree with literary no actual results or their backwards compatibility program that covers only a small fraction of games, most of which are already on PC(so they are both cheaper and in higher quality).

Its a lot of action with very little results because the guys doing it are essentially guessing what to do. So even when they accidentally take a step in the right direction they are just as likely to immediately backtrack in the next step. Which pretty much describes microsoft to a t.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Four years in and almost half of the PSN base is still on PS4. I think it's more proof, if it were needed, that this gen has been lacklustre. There seems to be a common view that GTA6 will be the game that encourages people to leave last gen behind. Also, note how Sony's starting to sound like Microsoft with the “MAU” talk.

I'm still on the PS4.

911 Jumper

Learned

I'm still on the PS4.

Don't blame you for not upgrading. I think the Demon's Souls remake is the only genuine PS5 exclusive at this point.

911 Jumper

Learned
This is spinning up, again

Latest info
Sony may be gearing up to return to the handheld market with a new PlayStation Portable that will be capable of running PlayStation 4 games, according to rumors circulating online.

As reported on the ResetERA forums, Russian journalist Anton Logvinov, who was among the first ones to confirm PlayStation exclusives would be coming to PC years back before the official confirmation, revealed on Telegram that the Japanese company is working on a new PSP capable of playing PlayStation 4 games. Unfortunately, the launch lineup is only comprised of games that are also available on PC, and thus on the Steam Deck, so there's a good chance the system hides some surprises, also considering how retailers are apparently skeptical about this portable system.

deuxhero

Arcane
The only PS4 titles not already on PC are PS3+Vita multiplats titles, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush 2, Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, and a bunch of Japan only titles Sony would never let release unmolested now.

This feels like a good chance to remind people that Sony's public sales reports bundled PS4 software+PS5 software and that number went down, not up, at PS5's launch. Also a reminder PS5 will be discontinued in mid 2027.

911 Jumper

Learned
The only PS4 titles not already on PC are PS3+Vita multiplats titles, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush 2, Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, and a bunch of Japan only titles Sony would never let release unmolested now.

This feels like a good chance to remind people that Sony's public sales reports bundled PS4 software+PS5 software and that number went down, not up, at PS5's launch. Also a reminder PS5 will be discontinued in mid 2027.

It's hard to see how a Sony handheld that plays PS4 games is going to differentiate itself from the Deck (and other portables). Sony stupidly porting everything over to PC has only diminished the reasons to own a PlayStation. Of course, from the PC gamer's perspective, being able to play enhanced versions of PS exclusives without having to buy a PlayStation is a huge win. But it's bad for the PlayStation console business in the long run. Exclusives are more valuable than ever in today's multi device landscape. Exclusives are what differentiate one platform from another. Unlike Nintendo, Sony doesn't have to worry about the PS5 being emulated any time soon, so it's technically easier to keep the PS5 (and PS4) as the only access point(s) to the PS ecosystem.

But instead of leveraging this naturally occuring advantage, Sony has decided to port almost all its exclusives to PC, gradually making PS hardware less desirable in the process. Sony's just giving it all away, it seems. It's remarkable that the toy company Nintendo is the only one out of the big three that understands that if you make your exclusives available on other platforms, platforms which people may already own, then they will be less inclined to buy your bespoke box. This is why I'm not at all surprised that Nintendo is coming down hard on emulators. Nintendo understands that those free unofficial enhanced PC ports of Switch exclusives – which is only possible because of emulation – will be bad for its console business in the long run. I said a while back in the Switch thread that the Switch would probably be the best selling console by now if emulation wasn't possible.

Last edited:

Azdul

Magister

It's hard to see how a Sony handheld that plays PS4 games is going to differentiate itself from the Deck (and other portables). Sony stupidly porting everything over to PC has only diminished the reasons to own a PlayStation. Of course, from the PC gamer's perspective, being able to play enhanced versions of PS exclusives without having to buy a PlayStation is a huge win. But it's bad for the PlayStation console business in the long run. Exclusives are more valuable than ever in today's multi device landscape. Exclusives are what differentiate one platform from another. Unlike Nintendo, Sony doesn't have to worry about the PS5 being emulated any time soon, so it's technically easier to keep the PS5 (and PS4) as the only access point(s) to the PS ecosystem.

But instead of leveraging this naturally occuring advantage, Sony has decided to port almost all its exclusives to PC, gradually making PS hardware less desirable in the process. Sony's just giving it all away, it seems. It's remarkable that the toy company Nintendo is the only one out of the big three that understands that if you make your exclusives available on other platforms, platforms which people may already own, then they will be less inclined to buy your bespoke box. This is why I'm not at all surprised that Nintendo is coming down hard on emulators. Nintendo understands that those free unofficial enhanced PC ports of Switch exclusives – which is only possible because of emulation – will be bad for its console business in the long run. I said a while back in the Switch thread that the Switch would probably be the best selling console by now if emulation wasn't possible.

It depends on demographics buying consoles and exclusive titles.

If only older generation will buy new console due to nostalgia - exclusive franchises will eventually fade away from public memory.

Some popular software franchises tied to specific hardware in 80's, 90's and 00's are already dead - while multiplatform series from the same time live on.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Tehdagah

Arcane
A portable PS4 would be nice.

You just described Steam Deck but worse.

He's aching to get charged to play online and be confined to Sony's torture chamber walled garden.
I already have a PS4, being able to play the same games on a portable system would be nice.

So a Steam Deck ?
Steam Deck doesn't have the PS+ service, also some japanese PS4 games weren't released on PC.

Basshead

Educated
I recently bought a PlayStation portal because my children and their mother often use my main tv. Sometimes I don’t want to sit at my desk where the PC is. It’s been pretty awesome so far. I think a dedicated portable from PlayStation would be cool but I would probably end up using it the same as this, just in the house. If the portable system can play everything the ps5 does I could see it being successful. If not, it probably won’t be.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

No reason to buy PS5. In fact, there was no reason to buy PS4 already unless you wanted to play some exclusives, which is why I had PS, PS2 and then PS3 which was my last console.

In fact, in many ways PS3 is still superior to PS4/5, because it can:
- Play PS3 games
- Play PS2 games
- Play PS1 games
- Play 3D Blu-rays
- Play Audio CDs
- Play Super Audio CDs
- Read and write to SD cards, Memory Stick and Compact Flash
- Allow you to store your media locally on its internal HDD/SSD. You can store all music, videos and photos for easy viewing on the TV.

The only disappointment with it I had is that it cannot play Video CDs, which is probably the case for PS4 and 5 anyway. Also, the SLIM version dropped support for PS1/2 which was a huge decline.

Ravielsk

Magister
Also, the SLIM version dropped support for PS1/2 which was a huge decline.
Not really. Both the slim and super slim can play PS1 games off the disc without issue. The PS2 backwards compatibility fully exists only on the very early FAT models but was partially restored through software emulation on the SLIM and SUPER SLIM models. Yes, you cannot slide the disc in and play but if you hack the machine the functionality is still there(even if somewhat hobbled).

Ezekiel

Arcane
Yeah, PS4 was already a huge dissapointment on games front, can't even imagine PS5 with %90 of the games coming to PC.
Even if those games didn't come to Windows, having a PlayStation 5 would be so depressing. Sony makes almost no games, and the few they have released are mostly remasters and same old shit. Going full in on those AAA production values, cinematic experiences (Are you crying yet?) and realistic graphics was so stupid.

Tehdagah

Arcane
PS5 is saved.

https://insider-gaming.com/lego-horizon-adventures/

horizon-lego-adventures.jpg

LEGO and PlayStation are developing a new game named ‘LEGO Horizon Adventures’.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Going full in on those AAA production values, cinematic experiences (Are you crying yet?) and realistic graphics was so stupid.
Not sure there was a decision.
There's crazy push for this stuff among devs.
Ex-demosceners and their "outnerd" -ing of Carmack with realtime bamboozle tech seeing just about any previous cornerstone as culprit.

Ravielsk

Magister
Even if those games didn't come to Windows, having a PlayStation 5 would be so depressing. Sony makes almost no games, and the few they have released are mostly remasters and same old shit. Going full in on those AAA production values, cinematic experiences (Are you crying yet?) and realistic graphics was so stupid.
Its the paradox of min-maxing in the entertainment business. Focusing on the biggest demographics and money makers can get you great results in the short term but in the long term it turns you into a one trick pony. Once people get tired of that one trick, its exceptionally difficult both internally and externally to course correct.

Take Nintendo, that company almost nuked itself out of the home console market because their focus on "family friendly" games on the Wii turned them in the eyes of the most into a kiddy brand. Sure it made a shit-tons of money but then the Wii U turned into a certified failure because the audience they thought they had got bored(people not knowing its a new console and not a accessory would not matter if they retained a serious customer base).

Sony is now in much the same quagmire. They saw the success of Uncharted and Last of Us and wanted more. They got more but at the expense of everything else. They completely dropped the ball on RPGs of any kind, platformers, regular old shooters... basically they managed to cut off everyone who was not part of the momentary fad and now they have no idea how to course correct. Their whole plan was to milk established franchises but now that people are getting bored of them(mainly because Snoy fucked them up, but that is for another post) that is clearly not going to work but what would work?
Rhetorical question, we all know what Sony needs to do but the chuckle fucks in charge do not because they have essentially cut themselves off from their costumers and have yet to acknowledge that was a mistake.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane

No reason to buy PS5. In fact, there was no reason to buy PS4 already unless you wanted to play some exclusives, which is why I had PS, PS2 and then PS3 which was my last console.

In fact, in many ways PS3 is still superior to PS4/5, because it can:
- Play PS3 games
- Play PS2 games
- Play PS1 games
- Play 3D Blu-rays
- Play Audio CDs
- Play Super Audio CDs
- Read and write to SD cards, Memory Stick and Compact Flash
- Allow you to store your media locally on its internal HDD/SSD. You can store all music, videos and photos for easy viewing on the TV.

The only disappointment with it I had is that it cannot play Video CDs, which is probably the case for PS4 and 5 anyway. Also, the SLIM version dropped support for PS1/2 which was a huge decline.

PS3 can also play PSP games. Sorta. There's an internal emulator for them, but it's only used for a couple of re-releases (one Monster Hunter game is the only one I recall off-hand). At least some of these re-releases do add second analog stick support though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom