Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

So now new games won't be released onto standard Xbox Game pass until they've been patched up? Sounds like an improvement to me - anyone who tries to play a modern AAA game on release day deserves the bugs they hit.

So now new games won't be released onto standard Xbox Game pass until they've been patched up? Sounds like an improvement to me - anyone who tries to play a modern AAA game on release day deserves the bugs they hit.
But then you won't be cool. Don't you want to be cool and hip?
I am so un-hip it's a wonder my buns haven't fallen off.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I actually do love xCloud, even though I have gaming capable hardware, for the convenience of it all. But let's be realistic, if they want to sell the damn thing, something needs to be done about picture quality. It is absolutely terrible, and they need to find a way to make the resolution higher before they bother market it again.
(Input Lag is actually ok here)

Zoo

Educated
Still a great deal.
If you can't afford gamepass, you need a better job.
It's a great deal, if you play a lot with GP games. But I have another hobbies, I already have many games, for only one GP game per month it's not cheap. Besides the GP games leave the service with time (I couldn't finish Hades or FF12 with it), and the DLC's are usually aren't included. Of course PC GP is cheaper the console one.

Nowadays everything is service, even if you are rich, I couldn't suggest you all the "cheap" and "great value" subscriptions.

ferratilis

Magister
At some point I realized that my back log is my game pass and it's much better to buy games on sale than pay money for a subscription service. As for day 1 games, there's no reason to play them other than to laugh at the bugs, or play with your friends if you're into multiplayer stuff (which I'm not).

The math also adds up, 12 months of PC game pass is 144 bucks. Last year I got a bunch of games through sales and bundles, and it was less than that. Considering that console game pass is now more expensive, the math would also make sense there, I feel.

911 Jumper

Learned
Sony: It's Massively Important PS Studios Develops Games in Various Genres

There’s been much ado about PlayStation first-party lately, especially when you contrast the critically acclaimed release of Astro Bot against Concord’s premature closure. Speaking as part of an interview published on the PlayStation Podcast and SIE Blog, co-CEO Hermen Hulst touched upon the importance of PS Studios making a wide spectrum of software, which adopts different genres and appeals to various demographics.

“I think it’s massively important that PS Studios develops games in various genres and the family market is really important for us to focus on,” he revealed.

Hulst continued that he considers Astro Bot a “massive” franchise for the firm which has “particular” personal appeal. “Astro Bot is very important to PlayStation. Obviously, we had [Astro’s Playroom] pre-installed with PS5 that millions of people have embraced and loved. It’s remarkable that a relatively small team is able to deliver a game that is so big and it’s really become a great game in itself, but it’s kind of become a celebration of everything PlayStation. It’s kind of an Easter egg fiesta and it’s becoming synonymous with our innovation and our legacy in single player gaming that we have at PS Studios.”
Source: Push Square

Hulst's comments suggest a shift in direction for PlayStation.

deuxhero

Arcane
Sony: It's Massively Important PS Studios Develops Games in Various Genres

There’s been much ado about PlayStation first-party lately, especially when you contrast the critically acclaimed release of Astro Bot against Concord’s premature closure. Speaking as part of an interview published on the PlayStation Podcast and SIE Blog, co-CEO Hermen Hulst touched upon the importance of PS Studios making a wide spectrum of software, which adopts different genres and appeals to various demographics.

“I think it’s massively important that PS Studios develops games in various genres and the family market is really important for us to focus on,” he revealed.

Hulst continued that he considers Astro Bot a “massive” franchise for the firm which has “particular” personal appeal. “Astro Bot is very important to PlayStation. Obviously, we had [Astro’s Playroom] pre-installed with PS5 that millions of people have embraced and loved. It’s remarkable that a relatively small team is able to deliver a game that is so big and it’s really become a great game in itself, but it’s kind of become a celebration of everything PlayStation. It’s kind of an Easter egg fiesta and it’s becoming synonymous with our innovation and our legacy in single player gaming that we have at PS Studios.”
Source: Push Square

Hulst's comments suggest a shift in direction for PlayStation.
Perhaps he should have thought about that before the system was halfway through its life and they shut down the first party developer responsible for genre variety?

Tehdagah

Arcane
DUALSENSE prices are going up across multiple retailers including PlayStation Direct

With the Xbox declining Sony is going full arrogant mode again. It will be like the early PS3 days but without anyone to put them in check.

The PS5 Pro being sold at $700 is now a possibility.

911 Jumper

Learned
DUALSENSE prices are going up across multiple retailers including PlayStation Direct

With the Xbox declining Sony is going full arrogant mode again. It will be like the early PS3 days but without anyone to put them in check.

They've also been going crazy with the accessories this gen – and the ridiculous prices. Cover plates (~$60), the Detachable Disc Drive ($80), DualSense Edge (~$200), Portal ($200), VR2 ($600), to say nothing of the PS Plus increases and $70 first party games.

Even that tacky chrome towel ring stand for the Slim PS5 is $30. It's no surprise that the PS5 is Sony's “most profitable” PS platform. I think it will all just push more people towards PC and Steam Deck.

ferratilis

Magister
Meanwhile, on PC, you can get a wireless controller with hall effect sticks and much better battery for as low as 30 bucks, and the competition has never been stronger. Just goes on to show how shitty closed platforms are.

Elttharion

Learned

My uneducated guess is $600 without the disc drive and $700 with the drive.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fabulously optimistic.

Literally everything is 30 to 100% more expensive than 3 years ago but sure, a "pro" ps5 will only cost slightly more than the original released at, 5 years ago.

Every fucking NEET dweeb is a millionaire now, there's just too much money out there.

DemonKing

Arcane

I agree they've lost as far as consoles go, so trying to infiltrate their software via other avenues makes sense. If only they could start producing better software...

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What's the fucking point of these remasters really. Like jesus you can play it in higher resolution with slightly better assets?

It would be fine if you want to remaster PS3 games, but these last gen remasters are literally the same game with better resolution (might be performance too? but you can just buy the PS4 version)

abija

Prophet
They probably used high quality assets in the pipeline so it's free money from a rebuild and some marketing.

911 Jumper

Learned
HZD is also on PC. PS5 can also play PS4 games, which only adds to the absurdity. Sony's desperately trying extracting as much as it can from its PlayStation fanbase. The Digital Foundry fanatics will lap it up. But four years in and yet another PS4 remaster for a console that is backwards compatible really does once again highlight how Sony doesn't have much to offer.
I can't see how this is going to change with PS6.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Another remaster of a PS4 game. What a generation.

Bet you they're going to "upgrade" Aloy's face to be uglier / be the same as the one from the sequel.

Aloy is now one of Sony's flagship LGBT characters (irc she engages in an interracial kiss w/ another female in the sequel), so visual changes to repel the “male gaze” wouldn't surprise me.

I thought it was because she became a hermaproditc ooze in the sequel.

Tehdagah

Arcane

I agree they've lost as far as consoles go, so trying to infiltrate their software via other avenues makes sense. If only they could start producing better software...

I wish for lag-free internet so I don't need to pay for consoles or GPUs anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom