Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
PS5 will have a PCIE 4 NVME SSD capable of over 7GB/s Random R&Ws, he knows what he is talking about.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
To be fair he could be right that the SSD implementation in these machines will be beyond what PC has had for many years. Every console gen focuses on one big improvement that PCs often have to catch up on. Gave this example before, but I remember Call of Duty 2 using certain particle effects on Xbox 360 that were impossible on PC GPUs at the time. Also Oblivion's HDR with AA, which nVidia cards could not (and still can't natively) do. So I don't think that guy is wrong necessarily, in strict terms, that the PS5's SSD might be "beyond what he's seen on PC" as of today.

However the issue is that A) PC will quickly catch up and then exceed these systems, and I believe comparable SSDs are already starting to come out. By the time the new consoles launch a year from now, and by the time games are being released that were designed around them, the PC will almost surely already be ahead. And B) we're nowhere near sure this will have much actual effect on the ability of "normal" SSDs to play these games fine. The PC makes up a third or more of the market for cross-platform games in many cases, and it's not like these corporations are going to just say "oh well" and make 95% of PCs unavailable to them. The (as an example) 2070 Super, Ryzen 3700, 16GB of RAM and typical SSD system of today will run 2021 games, even if the settings have to be lowered.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There is no such thing as 7GB/s random read/write SSD.

Not talking about specific specs above, just the general idea of the PS5's SSD being faster than what was available for PC when it was announced. That seems to be a consistent rumor, but like I said above I think it's irrelevant for multiple reasons.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
There is no such thing as 7GB/s random read/write SSD.

Not talking about specific specs above, just the general idea of the PS5's SSD being faster than what was available for PC when it was announced. That seems to be a consistent rumor, but like I said above I think it's irrelevant for multiple reasons.

Somebody is making new tech just for Sony? Never heard that, got links for it?

Not to mention that when PS5 was announced there was pcie4 ssd on the market already, so I don't see where you get this "never seen on pc before" tech.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Somebody is making new tech just for Sony? Never heard that, got links for it?

Not to mention that when PS5 was announced there was pcie4 ssd on the market already, so I don't see where you get this "never seen on pc before" tech.

I never claimed to be a tech expert, but yes I could (if I cared) give you links to tech sites that say it might have faster speed SSDs than what was currently available on PC. That doesn't mean 7GB a second (lol), just faster. Also like I said, those same tech sites are reporting SSDs with those speeds are coming out now-ish for PC anyway, and those consoles are a year away, so it doesn't really matter.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
We're way past the dimishing returns points of I/O speed improvements in real world gaming usage. The whole "my ssd dick is bigger than yours" is retarded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNMcW2tL3r4
For gaming use, the difference between a SATA and NVME ssd is minimal. The only time real world usage should show a difference for a gamer should be when you run out of memory and swap, which is not something you ever want to happen. If you swap add more ram. Console games are/should be tailored to the console's ram and should never swap either.

Even if the claims about whatever throughoutput on the PS5 SSDs were true the biggest revolution for the console gamer would be to have a SSD at all, not to have one that is faster than the rest.
Moving from spinning rust to a SSD is where you get the life changing improvements.

Gerrard

Arcane
dw6OnWE.jpg

This dude is a game dev, PC's are gonna be left in the dust.
This dude reminds me of a retard who claimed that I couldn't have been playing at 1024x768 in the year 2001 because the 720p format didn't exist until 2006.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
That was 6 months ago and there is nothing custom in pcie 4, when consoles come out it will be 1,5 year old. pcie 5 is on track to come 2021 too. Sequential reads/writes is useless, random doesn't have big difference. Now if the consoles had Optane SSDs it would actually make a difference.

soulburner

Cipher
With all the speed increases of SSDs we have one thing that has improved only slightly when compared to their linear speed (which is like what, 4 GB/s now?): random access speed. When it comes to writing or reading tiny files, a not-the-cheapest SATA SSD can do pretty much the same thing an NVMe one can. That's why there are no differences between SATA and NVMe when it comes to software startup speed or game loading speed - both have similar speeds there.

I do believe Sony might have a solution that might have been the fastest thing on this planet, but once PCI-Express 4.0 was introduced in the PC area 6 months ago, that might simply no longer be true. Unless Sony plans to use dual SSDs in RAID mode, using separate PCI-Express lanes to get the most speed out of it, but that's also not an unrealistic thing to achieve on PC today.

The biggest thing for console gamers is the SSD itself. The I/O speed bump when compared to an HDD is huge, but it won't show in all games. The ones that stream a lot of data on the fly - yes. The ones that load thousands of tiny files - yes. But many games aren't limited by I/O when loading - they do some computationally intensive processing when loading a map. Such games will not magically load faster.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The biggest thing for console gamers is the SSD itself. The I/O speed bump when compared to an HDD is huge, but it won't show in all games. The ones that stream a lot of data on the fly - yes.

That's what channels like Digital Foundry are guessing becomes much more commonplace though. Constantly streaming data directly off the SSD. I think Sony even touted this and used open world games like Spider-Man as an example where it would make a real difference. How much of that comes to pass and how much of it is like Xbox's "8k 120fps!" bullshit... who knows.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If we're assuming it's roughly an AMD 5700 then a downclocked 2080 sounds about right, honestly. It's basically a 2070 Super, which is barely better than a 5700xt (and worse in some games).

Venser

Erudite

So they already said the console will simply be called Xbox and it seems that Xbox Series X will be the equivalent to Xbox One X, a more powerful model that will be launched alongside the base model. It might depend on PS5 specs whether that will be the case but they can't wait much longer with the production cause the supply must be ready for next Christmas.

soulburner

Cipher
See it's 12 tflop, told ya it's 12 tflop of RDNA... which is about 17 tflop of GCN, for 500$.
Teraflops are teraflops. There are no GCN teraflops or RDNA teraflops. One teraflop equals one teraflop, no matter the architecture.

The base RX5700 model is about 16 teraflops and the XT variant is close to 20 teraflops (FP16 precision), so...

tritosine2k

Erudite
They cornered themselves with polygon counts (and pixel count to go with it) , hence prevalent screen space methods, because image space is independent of scene complexity. You wont get volumetrics prob not even wortwhile LOD so theres this huge gap between AAA corridor stuff and online shooters and it's not about to close.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
See it's 12 tflop, told ya it's 12 tflop of RDNA... which is about 17 tflop of GCN, for 500$.
Teraflops are teraflops. There are no GCN teraflops or RDNA teraflops. One teraflop equals one teraflop, no matter the architecture..

Sorry Soulburner but this time I cannot agree with you as this is false, 1 teraflop of RDNA is faster than 1 teraflop of previous architecture.

sy42alb.png

'End to end, by stacking up those two percentage gains, the improvement is around 45 per cent overall.'

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-teraflop-face-off-current-gen-vs-next-gen

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom