Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is gonna be ages, the dev is waiting for some other guy to finish making the engine. Then he has to start work putting the world together... In the meantime he got the artwork ready but I doubt he can just throw it all into place and be done. I bet it is going to be at least another 1-2 years.

I would much prefer a sequel to Undercroft. And on Android -.-

Sacibengala

Prophet
Wish I had learned how to necro, but this is it.
EDIT: Found it, lol!
:necro:

News from The Quest 2 from facebook:

Alright everybody, the time has come: here are the very first - half-official - screenshots from The Quest's sequel:
http://redshift.hu/screenshots/betrayed/screenshot01.jpg
http://redshift.hu/screenshots/betrayed/screenshot02.jpg
http://redshift.hu/screenshots/betrayed/screenshot03.jpg
http://redshift.hu/screenshots/betrayed/screenshot04.jpg
Remember that they're "work in progress" screenshots so many things are missing, but at least you can have a basic feel of the game.
This time the shots are taken from the main city's first two quarters - next time we'll go further, then we'll take a look outside the city.
About the background story:
Mersant, king of Monares and famous mage, becomes victim of a horrible betrayal. He loses all his powers and only manages to avoid the death sentence imposed on him by his people by a very weird and costly scheme. He needs you and your companions to prove his innocence and get his magic, family and kingdom back.
Set in the world of "The Quest", you will be able to direct four characters (recruitable during your play from a large pool of adventurers) in this real-time, grid-based, open world dungeon crawler.
We'll share more details about the game as we advance with it's development.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This looks really cool, but I wish the guy picked a name other than The Quest, because that is the most generic name you could possibly use.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Set in the world of "The Quest", you will be able to direct four characters (recruitable during your play from a large pool of adventurers) in this real-time, grid-based, open world dungeon crawler

There goes my initial excitement.

Yes, it's extremely disappointing, TB single character and party-based real time, exactly the opposite of what one should do.
Retardation has no bounds, i expect another commercial flop.

Maybe they should do a zombie RTS just like Xulima's devs.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Set in the world of "The Quest", you will be able to direct four characters (recruitable during your play from a large pool of adventurers) in this real-time, grid-based, open world dungeon crawler

There goes my initial excitement.

Yes, it's extremely disappointing, TB single character and party-based real time, exactly the opposite of what one should do.
Retardation has no bounds, i expect another commercial flop.

Maybe they should do a zombie RTS just like Xulima's devs.
TB single-char can work, but RT almost never works in my book.

I'll still give it a try to see if I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Strig

Learned
I'm just glad they actually have something to show for all the years this has been baking in the oven. I enjoyed the first one — with all the flaws and simplistic approach pointed out in this thread — so I'm definitely waiting for more news about the sequel. Even if I'm a tad weary of the change to RT.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

No it doesn't, only by default because the combat system and encounter design is so good it even works for one character like for AoD, we can all see how the combat was improved with a fully controllable party in Dungeon Rats but AoD combat is still decent/good.

No other single character TB game delivered such a combat system, and don't say underrail, because i just played it, just compare AoD arena combat with underrail.
AoD > epic arena fights
Underrail > First turn: Aimed shot > enemy is dead, combat over.

Soul's and witcher's games imprinted so much on millennial's childhood they can't play party-based if they can't skip the party and go for a solo character.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

No it doesn't, only by default because the combat system and encounter design is so good it even works for one character like for AoD, we can all see how the combat was improved with a fully controllable party in Dungeon Rats but AoD combat is still decent/good.

No other single character TB game delivered such a combat system, and don't say underrail, because i just played it, just compare AoD arena combat with underrail.
AoD > epic arena fights
Underrail > First turn: Aimed shot > enemy is dead, combat over.

Soul's and witcher's games imprinted so much on millennial's childhood they can't play party-based if they can't skip the party and go for a solo character.
None of these games are DRPGs.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Real time combat can be good:

I am more concerned with the execution, how boring it is to talk to 1000 NPCs in these gay little towns, and whether most enemies will die to a single fireball, or whatever. Because those ^ classic RPGs had pretty good balance, combat, locations, items, etc.

V_K

Arcane
Vaporum's single-char RT with autopause worked very well, imo.
But quite honestly both single-char TB and most forms of RT are only suited for games where combat minute-to-minute combat tactics are not the main focus and combat just needs to be over quickly. The original Quest fails so spectacularly at it that party-based RT, while not a great option in itself, may still be an improvement. At least it's somewhat harder to make drawn-out RT (not that some devs didn't succeed at that of course).

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Vaporum's single-char RT with autopause worked very well, imo.
But quite honestly both single-char TB and most forms of RT are only suited for games where combat minute-to-minute combat tactics are not the main focus and combat just needs to be over quickly. The original Quest fails so spectacularly at it that party-based RT, while not a great option in itself, may still be an improvement. At least it's somewhat harder to make drawn-out RT (not that some devs didn't succeed at that of course).
Yet to play Vaporum, but most of my positive experience with single-char TB crawlers comes from Akalabeth / Orcs & Elves / Carmine, which manage to be fast and create tension through solitude.

They might not have the tactical complexity of party-based crawlers, but some of them experiment with situations where the party wouldn't necessarily improve things, and some offer enough options where the same multiplied by 4 or 6 would be a clusterfuck.

A better example where I believe the party would be out of place is Rejection: Dennou Senshi, which uses lightgun-style realtime combat. You could point at Crime Crackers as a similar game with a party, but it doesn't quite strike the same chord as this one.

591258-rejection-den-no-senshi-fm-towns-screenshot-this-guy-has-a.png

TLDR: I think the combat from the original could've been improved and/or replaced with party-based TB, but I'm not sure if it this switch to RT won't result in the same two-step tango shit most RT crawlers suffer from.

Dorateen

Arcane
recruitable during your play from a large pool of adventurers

Party creation has been a core feature present in the dungeon crawler classics, which the developer claims inspiration from. That the Quest 2 thinks its audience would find building four characters too complicated, or too much trouble to bother with is... unfortunate.

Codex Year of the Donut
https://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/post/the-quest-sequel-screenshots/
619676cfbd27d.jpg

Screenshots from the sequel to The Quest by Redshift Games was just published, and they... look... amazing!

The working title for the sequel is "Betrayal" which sounds like a great title. The developer statet that these screenshots are "work in progress" and many things are still missing.

The screenshots are taken from the main city's first two quarters.

Background story:

Mersant, king of Monares and famous mage, becomes victim of a horrible betrayal. He loses all his powers and only manages to avoid the death sentence imposed on him by his people by a very weird and costly scheme. He needs you and your companions to prove his innocence and get his magic, family and kingdom back.

Set in the world of "The Quest", you will be able to direct four characters (recruitable during your play from a large pool of adventurers) in this real-time, grid-based, open world dungeon crawler.

http://www.redshift.hu/
https://www.facebook.com/redshifthungary/

Modron

Arcane
I could stand real time if they kept it singleplayer I suppose, but real time plus party? Tremendously disappointing change.

Codex Year of the Donut
I could stand real time if they kept it singleplayer I suppose, but real time plus party? Tremendously disappointing change.
I dislike the real-time change, but the developer stated:
Fully real time. It won't be hectic or anything and it'll be adjustable so everyone can find the comfortable speed for themselves.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom