Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_6a3cf54d515828066c8b277e6eef6da0f4eef3b3.600x338.jpg
ss_428d9932e1d5c3d315950f838c1c9b24590a49aa.600x338.jpg

For all the fans of pixel art out there, get ready for the wackiest adventure of time. You are a bellboy, Mike Melkout, working at a high-class hotel. Mike may seem crazy, or even peculiar or he might as well be. Nevertheless, he has only one plan. A dark plan. To throw everyone out in just one Weekend. A humorous point ’n’ click adventure game, set in the ’80s, as a tribute to the pop culture of that era.

FEATURES

• Beautiful pixel art graphics.

• A unique story with lots of twists.

• Strange characters, depicting some famous 80’s icons, and funny dialogues.

• Adult humor and challenging puzzles.

• Original soundtrack.

WallaceChambers

Learned

Frequency: Chernobyl is an addicting puzzle adventure that follows the adventures of Val, an amateur radio enthusiast, on a quest to investigate the “number stations” phenomenon - enigmatic transmitters that only speak in riddles. The search leads him deep into the Chernobyl nuclear plant Exclusion Zone, to the ruins of the Duga station that still echoes the voices of the people from the distant year of 1986 to the present day. Realizing that the anomalous signals might be more than an ordinary broadcast, you will have to unravel the secrets and decipher the whispers that are being transmitted over the radio in order to escape the Exclusion Zone with your life.

Unraveling the puzzle behind the space-time irregularity will not be easy, but as long as you can still hear someone on the other side you will not have to go at it alone. And perhaps, by becoming a participant in the events that bridge the two eras separated by the Chernobyl disaster, you may end up learning something new about yourself as well.
Key features:
Complex Puzzles

You will find yourself in the role of a real amateur radio enthusiast and have to unravel secret ciphers in order to get out of the restricted Exclusion Zone. The game offers a variety of riddles and non-standard problems that are bound to have most players scratching their heads!

Addicting Gameplay

Communicating with the voices from the distant 1986 will require you to learn to operate old-school radio machinery. Unconventional gameplay will catch the interest of both real-life radio enthusiasts as well as more casual players looking for an original challenge.
radio.gif

Authentic Environment

The terrain of Pripyat, the crumbling equipment, outdated radio codes and principles of operation, as well as elements of the stalker lifestyle have been carefully recreated using real-life examples and materials with the expertise of radio experts and Chernobyl explorers.
forest.gif

At the junction of fiction and realism...

The story, filled with motives of mystery and loneliness, will appeal to both meticulous connoisseurs of the Soviet post-apocalyptic genre as well as all players who are eager to try something new.
maps.gif

Can you solve the mystery of the white noise at the Chernobyl Duga?

Boleskine

Arcane
Did anyone here read this article on Sierra from a month ago?

How Sierra Was Captured, Then Killed, by a Massive Accounting Fraud

While it's the same old story we've heard for the last 20+ years, albeit with some new quotes and insights, the article is worth your time.

My favorite quote:

If that’s a contradiction in Williams’ nice guy persona, it’s not a complicated one: he was the nicer guy to people who made him money. Quest for Glory’s Corey Cole freely compares Williams to Donald Trump.

:lol:

The author's take portrays Ken as a well-meaning guy who had a weakness for the pursuit of wealth, which allowed him to easily be bamboozled and charmed into the sale. He knew it was a bad deal, everyone told him it was a bad deal... yet he took it. I don't buy the "obligation to the shareholders" argument for many reasons, namely this:

If it was an acquisition where Sierra would retain control, that’d be one thing, but a merger with three major developers under a parent with no software experience?

It wouldn't have been hard to justify turning down the deal, would it have? "Yeah, it's a big chunk of money now, but this company knows diddly about software. They're going to pump and dump us." Had anybody bothered to investigate how exactly CUC was reporting quarterly earnings that matched or exceeded those of Wall Street, the argument against the deal would have been all the more stronger.

Ken got CUCked.

Last edited:

Boleskine

Arcane
https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/an-fmv-christmas-seasons-greetings-2020

00:15 – Ken Williams, founder of Sierra On-Line(!) and author (Not All Fairy Tales Have Happy Endings)
00:50 – Alex Kanaris-Sotiriou, Polygon Treehouse (Röki)
1: 28 – Jonathan Boakes, Darkling Room; Matt Clark, Shadow Tor Studios (Dark Fall: Ghost Vigil, Silent Night)
2: 03 – Jean-Baptiste de Clerfayt (Lancelot’s Hangover)
2: 52 – Happy Volcano (The Almost Gone)
3: 26 – Chris Bischoff, THE BROTHERHOOD (Beautiful Desolation)
3: 55 – Double Fine (Psychonauts 2)
4: 40 – Francisco Sáenz, 3f Interactivo (Reversion)
6: 18 – Dan Marshall, Size Five Games (Lair of the Clockwork God)
6: 34 – Amanita Design (Creaks)
7: 17 – Stormling Studios (Transient)
8: 45 – Mattis Folkestad, machineboy (Embracelet)
9: 38 – Stefano Rossitto, Madit Entertainment (The Hand of Glory)
10: 21 – Simon Mesnard, Simon Says Watch! Play! (Boïnihi: The K'i Codex)
11: 38 – Kaizen Game Works (Paradise Killer)
13: 22 – Triple Topping Games (Welcome to Elk)
14: 54 – Bálint Bánk Varga, The Wild Gentlemen (Chicken Police)
15: 57 – Perfectly Paranormal (Helheim Hassle)
16: 56 – Cael O’Sullivan and Hidden Track (SHUT IN)
18: 18 – Marta Gil, Mighty Polygon (Relicta)
19:00 – Revolution Software (Beyond a Steel Sky)

WallaceChambers

Learned
Oniria Crimes is an adventure game that takes place in Oniria, the Land of Dreams. Help Detective Santos and Inspector Torres to investigate crime scenes as part of the Rounders, a secret society that pursues crime in dreams.

OniriaCrimes_Steam_Acerca_de_cabecera.png

Oniria Crimes is a combination of visual-novel-like story with point&click mechanics similar to graphic adventures, where the objects will help you to figure out what happened in the crime scene.

Oniria Crimes features a 6-chapter story with a mystery plot, oniric objects with their testimony, puzzles that hide key clues, dark voxel theme and appealing progressive music.

investigation.gif

OniriaCrimes_Steam_Acerca_de_story.png

Just before the first elections, a serial killer is disturbing the peace at Palace of Desires, capital of Oniria. The Rounders must move fast because the clues are volatile in the dream world. They will have the help of the objects at the crime scene, which are the witnesses of the murders.

Making matters worse, a secret plot is moving in the underworld. The Guilds of Oniria are fighting a hidden battle to control the future of all the dreamers. While everyone seeks their own interests, the natural inhabitants of Oniria, known as Kabus or «nightmares», are getting closer to the dreamers…

puzzles_v2.gif

OniriaCrimes_Steam_Acerca_de_features.png

-6 crime scenarios full of objects to investigate. Don't leave even one…

-Noir atmosphere with smart and funny dialogues

-A complete and varied range of riddles and 3D puzzles, can you decipher them all?

-A spectacular voxel aesthetics for characters full of nuances

-Progressive soundtrack that will help you to be more immersed in the game

- In-depth investigation will help you discover more about Oniria, and the way you do it can lead to different ends…

V_K

Arcane
That feeling when a 1998 game Hexplore had smaller voxels than this.
(Are they eve proper voxels? It looks to me more like blocky low-poly models imitating voxels)

WallaceChambers

Learned
That feeling when a 1998 game Hexplore had smaller voxels than this.
(Are they eve proper voxels? It looks to me more like blocky low-poly models imitating voxels)

Yeah it looks like imitation voxels to me. Which I'm cool with, I like the style well enough, isometric/diorama style environments look pretty cool. You investigate murders in a dream world where inanimate objects can talk. Which lead to a Monkey Island reference in a new adventure game that I actually didn't hate:
uiVjSte.png

Game is good so far. 20 bucks might be asking too much compared to the price of other indie adventures, though.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks interesting, I love a detective game that lets you get it wrong. I'm a bit discouraged by the admonition to "Don't leave even one [clue]" ... these environments look really cluttered and hard to read. With a graphic style this deliberately obtuse, I can't imagine I'd have fun clicking every pixel in sight over and over because I can't tell what any of these little blobs are supposed to be. Also, the Steam description reads as written by a non-native English speaker, which is really not encouraging for a game of this type.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom