Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Risen 2 Thread

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Increased all the display distances a lot in the config file, the game looks better and I haven't noticed any framerate hit. Weird.

Tigranes

Arcane
Increased all the display distances a lot in the config file, the game looks better and I haven't noticed any framerate hit. Weird.

Which file / lines? I had a 20-second look yesterday but didn't see a lot of adjustable stuff, but Win 7-era 'put everything in User folder' confuses me.

Malpercio

Arcane
Holy fuck, character animations are really, really bad. Patty looks like some kind of barbiedoll.

The incipt seems pretty stupid too, but i think the execution played a great role in it. Maybe if they did something better executed than "pls go get magical weapon thnk byebye". Some things were weird too, why are some pirates siding with chutchu? How do you side with chutchu anyway? Do you send him a missive or something? Also, why do we leave via ship despite the fact chutchu is sinking every ship? Doesn't anyone see a problem with it?
Meh, maybe it will be explained better later. Maybe not.

Didn't mind the rest. Though, getting the ability to sneak five seconds into the game (assuming it works like in Gothic/Risen) was pretty fucking weird.

Elwro

Arcane

Which file / lines? I had a 20-second look yesterday but didn't see a lot of adjustable stuff, but Win 7-era 'put everything in User folder' confuses me.
The file you should edit is NOT in the "User" folder, but in the Steam folder (steamapps / common / risen 2 / data / ini / ConfigDefault.xml )

If you set the distance display values to e.g. 'high', you should find the line "ViewRangeQuality="High"". Below it are three sets of lines, "low", "medium" (ignore these) and "high". I set mine to this:

Item_Small="6000.0"
Item_Medium="6000.0"
Item_Large="8000.0"
NPC_Small="6000.0"
NPC_Medium="6000.0"
NPC_Large="6000.0"
Level_Small="18000.0"
Level_Medium="18000.0"
Level_Large="25000.0"
Object_Small="9000.0"
Object_Medium="9000.0"
Object_Large="9000.0"
SpeedTree_Small="7500.0"
SpeedTree_Medium="12500.0"
SpeedTree_Large="17500.0"
Events_Small="9000.0"
Events_Medium="9000.0"
Events_Large="9000.0"
Effects_Small="15000.0"
Effects_Medium="15000.0"
Effects_Large="15000.0"
Lights="9000.0"
Terrain="100000.0"

Tigranes

Arcane
Solution: fast travel. Or, quickload, because now the game makes you about 500 autosaves. It's a good idea, something I think I suggested way back, since the first rule of any PB game is save like mad.

Thanks Elwro, I'll try that when I get home soon.

FaChoi

Educated
Solution: fast travel. Or, quickload, because now the game makes you about 500 autosaves. It's a good idea, something I think I suggested way back, since the first rule of any PB game is save like mad.

Inevitably that autosave will be 20 mins ago before you killed 30 monsters...

Anyway, loving Guybrush and elaine running round trying to stop lovecraftian horrors while presenting different solutions to problems;

Suck at skeet shooting minigame but I need that pistol,
Use trained monkey on window - steal pistol - obtain cannon.

Also double barreled musket = 2x70 damage every 2 seconds = hobgoblin raep

Malpercio

Arcane

Of course i quick-loaded. I have OCD and i save pretty much every five seconds.
But it still dumb to not be able to climb back.

Anyway, the second island map looks pretty shitty. It looks like it just came out from a Zelda game, unclimbable mountains and only 2 paths. What the hell? Does the game eventually open up like Risen/Gothic? And even if it does, what is the fucking point of this island? Leave retarded, unskibable tutorials to Bethesda, PB.

On an extremely positive note, melike the jungle at night! But why does everyone suddenly use guns? I don't remember any gun in the first Risen.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I might have missed it as I haven't been keeping track of the last few pages but anyone give an estimate as to how much content/play time that Treasure Isle DLC provides?

Raapys

Arcane
Any opinions on magic/voodoo? Just starting out and can't decide, since magic is rather hit-and-miss in PB games.

Also, how do I fix the different y/x axis sensitivity shit? The config.xml file thingy shows them both at 1.0f, but they're definitely different.

Tigranes

Arcane
There are only 2 paths between the Inquisition side and Pirate side of the first island, but other than that, it is still about as open as Risen was - unless you did some cheese-running past high level critters in previous PB games to explore literally everywhere. The second island is more open as well. Don't really care about the opening vignette since it literally takes 15 minutes, less than openings in DXHR, TW2, you name it.

bonescraper

Bros, should i go for muskets or voodoo? I don't like spellcasters, but in this case voodoo seems more appealing, as it lets you create potions, jewelry and gives you some nice tricks like mind control, which can be used in some quests. Muskets on the other hand seem to be really all about shooting and making guns. The popamole path has one skill that sounds kinda cool though - "'Nuff said", but voodoo seems way more versatile. Everyone keeps saying voodoo is kinda underdeveloped, so i'm asking you guys, which path leads to a more interesting, varied and generally fun experience?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Bros, should i go for muskets or voodoo? I don't like spellcasters, but in this case voodoo seems more appealing, as it lets you create potions, jewelry and gives you some nice tricks like mind control, which can be used in some quests. Muskets on the other hand seem to be really all about shooting and making guns. The popamole path has one skill that sounds kinda cool though - "'Nuff said", but voodoo seems way more versatile. Everyone keeps saying voodoo is kinda underdeveloped, so i'm asking you guys, which path leads to a more interesting, varied and generally fun experience?
It's not about muskets versus voodoo.
It's about choosing glorious, progressive, imperialist white men over mud-farming, irrational, religious - uh - african-americans.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I not only assigned mouse button 4 and 5, it even shown me where these buttons are.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Yup!

It's on the western beach, just as your journal tells you. Keep looking for it.

Western beach as the beach where the ship is you arrived in?
No, you arrive at south, don''t you? Are you sure you're talking about the same island? :lol:

Aha, I thought you meant artifacts. Duh.

The old pair of boots are in the guards barracks. Just sneak in at night.

I mean the artifacts, I've gone through all the beaches with the toothcomb but can't find that damned artifact boot.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Probably voodoo. I haven't actually went muskets though.

It's worth mentioning however, that you can learn to make potions either way.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=30522358

FFuuu, apparently I have the same problem as them. Can't assing new key bindings. What makes it worse, my mouse is busted, and only the two main buttons and wheel work. And since the game automatically assings drawing weapon as mouse button nr. 3, I can't draw a damn weapon.

:rage:
Change them in the .ini file then?
C:\Users\kony\AppData\Local\Risen2\Config\Action_Map_User_1.xam

Anyway, the second island map looks pretty shitty. It looks like it just came out from a Zelda game, unclimbable mountains and only 2 paths. What the hell? Does the game eventually open up like Risen/Gothic? And even if it does, what is the fucking point of this island? Leave retarded, unskibable tutorials to Bethesda, PB..

Well, islands are different, some more railroaded, others more open. The game opens up when you get to take over the ship, but you will still need to unlock new islands via main quest though.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Thanks Konjad. I did try to check some ini files to find the key map files, but forgot to look at the AppData folder.

Elwro

Arcane
I mean the artifacts, I've gone through all the beaches with the toothcomb but can't find that damned artifact boot.
My journal says the boot (a single boot) is on a different island (Antigua). Or are we talking about two different artifacts?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've got a new ship :M
123197579-4.jpg

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
anybody know where the king sword hilt is? the smith whose text says that he'll give it to me gives me a soul blah hilt instead (which you then find a second of in an easy chest on the beach).

Captain Shrek

That makes me suspect that GNomes are a thinly veiled Negros.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
My journal says the boot (a single boot) is on a different island (Antigua). Or are we talking about two different artifacts?

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!! I missed the mention of the different island in the journal, gotta check when I get off from work...I probably wasted an hour or so running around the beaches in Tacarigua. :stupid:

poetic codex

Augur
I went for voodoo since I'm a sucker for magic. It's a bit of a lackluster, but it gets the job done... I just wish they'd put a bit more effort into voodoo, like a direct damage spell involving a doll and a needle. Would that be too hard?
That's not putting more effort in it, that's going with the most bland possibility imaginable.

Exactly! If I could brofist you, I would. I noticed a lot of the professional reviewers also pointed out the lack of direct damaging spells as a criticism. That's why we can't have nice things. Direct damaging spells are the laziest, most predictable spell design you can think of.It seems that PB took a different route with the voodoo magic and this aspect alone makes me want to go out and buy the game. I only wish they had developed it further because it seems like the voodoo spells are very limited in number.

Konjad

Patron

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!! I missed the mention of the different island in the journal, gotta check when I get off from work...I probably wasted an hour or so running around the beaches in Tacarigua. :stupid:
Shit happens. Anyway you can always go back to any island you visited before, so if you miss something you don't have to curse heavens. Well, at least after you get to be the captain of the ship, but that's just after second island.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Shit happens. Anyway you can always go back to any island you visited before, so if you miss something you don't have to curse heavens. Well, at least after you get to be the captain of the ship, but that's just after second island.

Yeah, I knew that, at least I got exp for killing all those giant crabs and sand devils :p

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom