Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THE RPG AND FPS MADE A BABY

Murk

Arcane
Brother None said:
87 bazillion guns and RPS stupidity aside, Borderlands sounds like it'll be fun, and the new aesthetic is nice enough

Yeah the game seems to have a sense of humor about itself, which is fine by me. I couldn't care less what the game developer calls the game - I'll play it and see how it is, so far it seems fun. Cell shaded team-based shooter in a post-apoc world with a bunch of guns and weird enemies? Cool.

The trailer seems like it mistook itself for Smoking Aces tho.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I don't like number floaters in shooters.

But obviously, the game would allow you to turn it off.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
THE RPG AND FPS MADE A BABY AND HAD A MISCARRIAGE

Seriously though - game looks like fun and I like art direction minus that retarded heavy guy.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Good work Guys, didn't I post this trailer on the Borderlands 10/10 thread like fucking weeks ago.
That ol' search option is getting harder and harder

DURR HURR

Multi-headed Cow

Even though the game looks distressingly Hellgate-esque, I like the box art.
340x_borderlands_box_art.jpg

Discuss!!!

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Multi-headed Cow said:
I like this trailer. If you ignore the retarded words like THE RPG AND FPS MADE A BABY and... ALL the words, and ignore that Borderlands will most likely be horrible like Hellgate London (I'd be happy to be wrong) then the trailer's nice. I like the music, the 3D color splatters, and the cuts to gameplay. It's nicely put together.

This. One of the most slickly produced trailers I've ever seen. I have little hopes for the game, but whoever put that trailer together did outstandingly well. I even kinda liked the stupid text blurbs in the context of the trailer.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Watch first trailer and you'll see they totally dumbed down graphic. Shit, not only cRPGs are in decline.

Pliskin

Arbiter
ScottishMartialArts said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
I like this trailer. If you ignore the retarded words like THE RPG AND FPS MADE A BABY and... ALL the words, and ignore that Borderlands will most likely be horrible like Hellgate London (I'd be happy to be wrong) then the trailer's nice. I like the music, the 3D color splatters, and the cuts to gameplay. It's nicely put together.

This. One of the most slickly produced trailers I've ever seen. I have little hopes for the game, but whoever put that trailer together did outstandingly well. I even kinda liked the stupid text blurbs in the context of the trailer.

THE HOLLYWOOD AND CONSOLE SHOOTERS HAD AN ABORTION.

Shit, negro, video games are the big money these days! You think they can't afford to hire some professional film school attending ad men?

I give it another 6 months before somebody announces "Borderlands --- the Movie!".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MetalCraze said:
XBox360 graphical capabilities end with 4 years old X1900 installed in it.

Indeed. It's a fucking joke how the X360 is called "NEXT GEN" while no developer really hypes the awesome hardware capabilities of a new PC.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Finally watched that trailer. The game looks ok and it probably will be fun. Finally a decent PA FPS shooter... with RPG elements. Other than the LEVEL UP! I didn't see any RPG mechanics?

Tekar

Novice
I actually like the artistic style and the environment. I doubt it will be my kind of game but it definitely looks more fun than many recent AAA titles.

spekkio

Arcane
After reading preview on Gamecorner I've checked new trailers and I think this game looks quite interesting for next-gen role-playing shootar.

Pros:
1) Sense of humor:
- check this video. Maybe not funny per se, but as promotional material it's p. cool I think. Compare recent DE trailers.
- also this video. I liked your sidekick-robot laying on the ground crying and screaming. I'm not sure if using the phrase "Would you kindly" when commanding the player was unintentional but I don’t think so. References to other games / movies / pop culture in general are p. cool.

2) Graphics (artistic side): I like it. Post-apocalyptic world with non-serious approach [tm].
3) Game/developers not taking itself too seriously: Once again - the exact opposite of upcoming DE.

Cons:
1) After watching more trailers you start noticing some weird things:
- Post-apocalyptic world: Bethesda's Failout 3,
- Non-serious approach, "funny" cel-shaded graphics: Team Fortress 2,
- "Funny" robo-sidekick: too many to enumerate,
etc. etc.
Basically game looks like a mix-up of ideas taken from many sources, mainly recent "hits".

2) Graphics (technical side): Next-gen, not in a good way. Bioshock comes to mind: weird colors, smoke and explosions all over the place, overuse of shaders and bloom. Next thing: cel-shading is not a good choice for game with fast action IMO. Some animations look weird, more like in animated movie than in a game. POP 2008 ANYONE???

3) Action feels to console-like at times. Person playing the game in trailers is obviously using a gamepad (and have no idea what to do), but staying in one place and pumping enemies (rushing at you mindlessly or standing in one place shooting at you) with bullets is not what I call entertaining gaming experience.

tl;dr

It has some cool ideas but due to present consolitis and dumbing-down trends it will probably end as "banal-shit-boring".

Also:
Hello Kodex!
I'm proud to finally be a part of prestigeyous gaming magazine...

spekkio said:
After reading preview on Gamecorner I've checked new trailers and I think this game looks quite interesting for next-gen role-playing shootar.

Pros:
1) Sense of humor:
- check this video. Maybe not funny per se, but as promotional material it's p. cool I think. Compare recent DE trailers.
- also this video. I liked your sidekick-robot laying on the ground crying and screaming. I'm not sure if using the phrase "Would you kindly" when commanding the player was unintentional but I don’t think so. References to other games / movies / pop culture in general are p. cool.

2) Graphics (artistic side): I like it. Post-apocalyptic world with non-serious approach [tm].
3) Game/developers not taking itself too seriously: Once again - the exact opposite of upcoming DE.

Cons:
1) After watching more trailers you start noticing some weird things:
- Post-apocalyptic world: Bethesda's Failout 3,
- Non-serious approach, "funny" cel-shaded graphics: Team Fortress 2,
- "Funny" robo-sidekick: too many to enumerate,
etc. etc.
Basically game looks like a mix-up of ideas taken from many sources, mainly recent "hits".

2) Graphics (technical side): Next-gen, not in a good way. Bioshock comes to mind: weird colors, smoke and explosions all over the place, overuse of shaders and bloom. Next thing: cel-shading is not a good choice for game with fast action IMO. Some animations look weird, more like in animated movie than in a game. POP 2008 ANYONE???

3) Action feels to console-like at times. Person playing the game in trailers is obviously using a gamepad (and have no idea what to do), but staying in one place and pumping enemies (rushing at you mindlessly or standing in one place shooting at you) with bullets is not what I call entertaining gaming experience.

tl;dr

It has some cool ideas but due to present consolitis and dumbing-down trends it will probably end as "banal-shit-boring".

Also:
Hello Kodex!
I'm proud to finally be a part of prestigeyous gaming magazine...

1. Arguments on KKKodex are useless
2. You're trying too fucking hard
3. What the fuck is with that nickname, GTFO weeaboo faggot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom