Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!)

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by felipepepe, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    New vs old cRPGs assessment aside (which I'm inclined to agree with), it's not just that 80s/early cRPGs "have bad graphics", technologically speaking. It's that most of them are fucking ugly in a way console RPGs really aren't. They simply aren't aesthetically pleasing. They are absolute eyesores. This goes for what Zed Duke of Banville said as well: sure, a lot of 3D games look bad nowadays, but it's only the really awful bloom-abusing games (like Oblivion) that manage to become so ugly you can't ignore it, something that doesn't happen with Thief: The Dark Project for instance, or Deus Ex, or Gothic.

Fallout's user interface may not be good, and Gothic's may be terrible (in my opinion), but at least they are intuitive for the most part. Older cRPGs rely a lot on hotkeys, which explains why older Codexers tend to hate the lack of hotkeys in modern RPGs. But I'm the opposite: I grew up with a mouse and a keyboard, and that's how I play my games; hotkeys are secondary to me except for the most necessary ones (inventory, journal, map). A cRPG that has no mouse is a big "no thanks" in my book, I'm hardwired through experience to click on stuff I want to use. And these older cRPGs tend to use hotkeys for everything. I'm willing to put up with older console RPGs (assuming they are good) because the joystick makes navigating the interface very intuitive and simple. I can deal with the worst console RPG interfaces (looking at you, Dragon Quest) with arrows and two buttons (accept/cancel) but I can't deal with the hotkey-heavy interfaces of older cRPGs. Especially because these games don't offer what I'm looking for in fully fledged RPGs, which is less emphasis on combat and more on quests and story.

Yet another stripe on the tiger, but what the hell: not having to RTFM is a good thing about nowadays games. It means you get to understand everything you need to understand as you play the game. No need to read info you don't need to know just yet. The issue with modern games is that you can't toggle off said tutorials off, but the tutorials themselves are a good thing.

A game that requires me to RTFM to know what the fuck am I doing is a game I'm not playing unless I'm really interested in it, period. Unsurprisingly, none of the games in that time period you mentioned (1997 and on) require me to RTFM, because they are intuitive enough.

• Brofist x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • decline x 3
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Agreed on this point, a lot of older cRPGs are almost entirely (or actually entirely) combat focused, which frequently gets boring quickly - especially because the combat systems aren't as fun or complex in many older games as some Codexers would like to imagine. There's a clear shift towards developing settings, writing interesting stories and characters, and branching quests with choices in game made post-Fallout.

In other words, many RPGs from the Fallout era onwards make a clear attempt to emulate tabletop pnp RPGs, which it seems to me should be the obvious goal of the medium. The early Wizardry and M&M games are fun but you're essentially just walking around beating the shit out of everything, and as the numbers in your stat screen go up, you beat the shit out of everything a little quicker. On the other hand, Fallout almost feels like you're actually playing a great RPG campaign against a good DM - something a lot of its successors haven't quite recaptured in the same way.

Can't agree on the graphics though, I love a lot of shitty old 2D graphics. They age with charm in a way that early 3D games don't. I've never been a big fan of the Gold Box games but Pool of Radiance's weird looking character portraits and unending grey corridors really appeal to me for some reason.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Old games have active (dungeon more than overworld) exploration gameplay with traps and puzzles, actual party building and PnP-like combat, from Ultima Underworld and then diablo RPGs switched from PnP combat to single character action and replaced any other form of gameplay than combat by pure narrative stuff.

Nitpicking Fallout or Icewind Dale is ridiculous, Black Isle is one of the rare studios who made RPGs after 1995 and did not 100% embraced this terrible trend even if they're not completely out of the equation either.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Can you imagine someone saying the exact same worlds about Fallout or BG or Torment?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Sigourn Futa Lover

Sigourn
    I've seen people say that. But the truth is that, most of the time, what they actually mean to say is "I don't like turn-based/RTwP", which has nothing to do with a game being old or not. A modern game may be an interface masterpiece that if it releases with graphics looking and sounding like a Commodore, I won't play it. I can't stress enough how serious I am about old PC graphics and sounds (figuratively) hurt me.

• decline decline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Joni Odin von Hassenstein Arcane Patron

Joni Odin von Hassenstein
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Fallout's controls and interface are utter shit.

• Agree x 4
    • No x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Fenix Prophet Vatnik

Fenix
    You are right, but therr is one definite exception - System Shock.
    It has ben modded to a appropriate level of graffixx so you can play and don't suffer even a bit - just enjoying instead.
    Just find SSP - System Shock Portable.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yeah, I switched to PC and started RPGin' not long before Fallout came out, and it was a transformative game for me. I think I expect a lot more on the story/quest design/faction choices side of things than some older guys here as a result. It's hard not to miss those elements when they're gone, especially since they CAN be done with good combat as well. That said I can still enjoy a very combat focused experience when the right mood hits me. I really got into Might and Magic X when it came out.

Anyway I always forget to check the news section (sorry Infinitron) so let me give a belated "great work everybody!"

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Happycamper Barely Literate

Happycamper
    Bummer - no love for the Freedom Force (superhero RPG) franchise? Pretty much the best superhero RPG out there, so it stands out from all the other fantasy (and a little bit of SciFi) tropes..

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fixed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Louis_Cypher Arbiter

Louis_Cypher
    Ranker has a list of top 200 CRPGs....

https://www.ranker.com/list/all-computer-role-playing-games-list/reference

Planescape Torment is currently number one, which is good.

A bunch were just added so stuff like Ultima IV, Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant, NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, Age of Decadence, Legend of Grimrock, Expeditions, Pathfinder, The Banner Saga, Elex, ATOM RPG, Druidstone and UnderRail only have one or two votes.

Codex... sort it out :)

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. I didn't voted here, I didn't even knew about this poll. When is the next one?

• it is a mystery x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Old x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    In the year 2025, if man is still alive.

• Salute Salute x 5
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Goldschmidt Learned

Goldschmidt
    Finally found the codex shitlist.
    • Baldur's Gate 2 (3rd place, great should be 1)
    • Might and Magic 6 (27, should be in top 15 at least, much better than Morrowind or Gothic)

Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2 not even in top 100. Ye kiddin right?

Path of Exile (gamespot goty 2013) not even in top 100. Path of Exile has more rpg elements than Planescape Torment could only dream about. What a complete joke. Path of Exile is the BEST rpg released this decade. Not Divinity Original Sin, not pathfinder, not witcher 3, not underrail BUT PATH OF EXILE !!!! Bunch of untermenschen. Underrail is the much simpler game, for the much simpler man.

The list is pure decline! Let me, a pro, redo it next year.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    • No x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. hivemind Cipher Patron Pretty Princess

hivemind
    i will kill you retard

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Not.AI Literate

Not.AI
    Grimrock was pretty good. I was surprised that I liked it a lot. Never played 2. (Still on my to-do list.)

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Butter Arcane

Butter
    :shredder:

• decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Danikas Arcane

Danikas
    :badnews:

^ Top  
  19. Goldschmidt Learned

Goldschmidt
    Yes, sir!

^ Top  
  20. samuraigaiden Liturgist

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    Not sure what console port of Wizardry HiddenX played, but this is terrible advice for anyone playing the MS-DOS Wizardry Archives version. Priests rarely pull off DI and KADORTO, and good luck leveling up a Bishop to even be able to cast those spells.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Yeah, i can't recall if it goes DEAD -- ASHES --- GONE OR straight DEAD --- ASHES (GONE)

^ Top  
  22. samuraigaiden Liturgist

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    It’s dead - ashes - gone. You get two tries. But again, even a completely overleveled priest will fail most of the time.

^ Top  
  23. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    That's why you should max out VIT.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Hexen 2 100% needs to be on the list.

It's STILL fucking amazing.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.