Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs (With User Reviews!)

Sinder Velvin

Arcane
Will this be updated?

There will be a new ranking in a few years.

In the meantime, you can extrapolate what the additions from 2019 and 2020 would be by looking at the Best RPGs of 2017-2020 graph based on year-end rankings:

98MTWg1.png

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Disco is going to siphon votes from Torment, causing it to lose the top slot. Colony Ship is going to siphon votes from AoD, causing it to fall out of the top 20 (maybe even further). Cyberpunk is not even going to make the top 60.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
If AoD and UR aren't AT LEAST top twenty

We had a poll a couple years ago that gives a preview of what to expect (that was before Pathfinder Kingmaker or Atom came out):
  1. Fallout (107)
  2. Planescape: Torment (103)
  3. Arcanum (84)
  4. Fallout 2 (80)
  5. Baldur's Gate II (71)
  6. Deus Ex (71)
  7. Vampire: The Mascarade (67)
  8. Age of Decadence (66)
  9. Gothic 2 (55)
  10. Fallout: New Vegas (54)
  11. Baldur's Gate (42)
  12. Gothic (42)
  13. Icewind Dale (41)
  14. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (40)
  15. Jagged Alliance 2 (39)
  16. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (39)
  17. System Shock 2 (38)
  18. Underrail (37)
  19. The Temple of Elemental Evil (35)
  20. The Witcher III (35)
  21. Betrayal at Krondor (34)
  22. Shadowrun: Dragonfall (33)
  23. The Witcher (33)
  24. Dark Souls (32)
  25. Darklands (29)
  26. Ultima Underworld (29)
  27. Dark Sun (26)
  28. Might & Magic VI (26)
  29. Pool of Radiance (26)
  30. Wizardry 8 (26)
  31. Arx Fatalis (25)
  32. King of Dragon Pass (23)
  33. Divinity: Original Sin (20)
  34. Might & Magic: World of Xeen (20)
  35. Wizardry VII (20)
  36. Icewind Dale II (18)
  37. Ultima VII (18)
  38. Wizardry VI (18)
  39. Alpha Protocol (17)
  40. System Shock (17)
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rpg-codexs-top-50-vs-age-of-incline-poll.122230

AoD in the Top 10 and Underrail in the Top 20.

Sinder Velvin

Arcane
We had a poll a couple years ago that gives a preview of what to expect (that was before Pathfinder Kingmaker or Atom came out)

We also had a poll that was after Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Atom came out. You can find it at the top of page 1 of this thread. ;)

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
You're right. Though I like AoD in the Top 10 more. Though it should be Underrail there really.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If AoD and UR aren't AT LEAST top twenty
AoD in the Top 10 and Underrail in the Top 20.
Underrail being anything outside of the top 10 is a complete fucking joke. Codex has declined, and the vast majority of members are people who are too old to properly enjoy games anymore, so they blindly vote for their old favorites due to nostalgia. Very sad.

no-return

Educated
Codex Year of the Donut
Why Dragon Age Origins is underrated on rpgcodex?
I think it was the only example how modern AAA cRPG should have been made.

It had content that you can miss on first playthrought because of origin or chooses.

- tactical combat: enemies have access to same abilities as your party, no hordes of weak enemies

- dialogue options affect what will happen with current quest and story. Stats also affect dialogue, like strength and persuasion allows you to intimidate some NPCs.

What makes Divinity a better RPG when you can spam 1 in every conversation and it will always ends with fight ? All dialogue "options" are just questions to read more lore. And it forces you to complete every area in specific order by level. It's more like UFO Xcom games, with a lot of lore reading.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

It had content that you can miss on first playthrought because of origin or chooses.

- tactical combat: enemies have access to same abilities as your party, no hordes of weak enemies

- dialogue options affect what will happen with current quest and story. Stats also affect dialogue, like strength and persuasion allows you to intimidate some NPCs.

What makes Divinity a better RPG when you can spam 1 in every conversation and it will always ends with fight ? All dialogue "options" are just questions to read more lore. And it forces you to complete every area in specific order by level. It's more like UFO Xcom games, with a lot of lore reading.

I think the problem is that although DAO does get a lot of RPG things right (and I personally like the lore, the atmosphere, the art design and the music), somehow the combat (the thing you're spending most of your time doing) is just boring at the end of the day, and the build system doesn't grab you. Hard to put my finger on just why, but I think it's that it has a generic feel that's a bit derived from the kind of MMO genericness that was popular at the time.

I would say it's a better game overall than DOS, and a better RPG, but DOSs combat was quirky enough to be interesting. (DOS2 is overrated though, I think.)

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I think the problem is that although DAO does get a lot of RPG things right (and I personally like the lore, the atmosphere, the art design and the music), somehow the combat (the thing you're spending most of your time doing) is just boring at the end of the day, and the build system doesn't grab you. Hard to put my finger on just why, but I think it's that it has a generic feel that's a bit derived from the kind of MMO genericness that was popular at the time.

I would say it's a better game overall than DOS, and a better RPG, but DOSs combat was quirky enough to be interesting. (DOS2 is overrated though, I think.)

DAO has much better lore and worldbuilding than DOS, but that mostly falls by the wayside with the sequels. I do agree that the combat in DOS and DOS2 is heads and shoulders above DAO, but that's comparing turn-based to RTwP, which is not exactly fair. The writing in DAO is also vastly better than whatever DOS can offer.

Unfortunately, the Dragon Age franchise is basically dead, and the direction the overall plot went (lol, what direction?) means that only diehard fans really care. Whereas DOS2 is a best-selling and critically-acclaimed game (as much as I personally don't care for it) whose devs seem to be the mainstream RPG golden child right now. I mean, they don't give the Baldur's Gate IP to just anybody.

Certainly not modern BioWare.

SumDrunkGuy

The top 5 is all wrong. It should be as follows:

1. Dark Souls 2
2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
3. Diablo
4. Diablo 2: LoD
5. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

And tbh if Demon's Souls and Bloodborne counted they would replace D2 and Witcher 3. Divinity: Original Sin should also be top 10 as well as Dark Souls.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The top 5 is all wrong. It should be as follows:

1. Dark Souls 2
2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
3. Diablo
4. Diablo 2: LoD
5. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

And tbh if Demon's Souls and Bloodborne counted they would replace D2 and Witcher 3. Divinity: Original Sin should also be top 10.

I thought you stopped drinking?

S.torch

Arbiter
5 Points
Planescape: Torment
The Witcher 3
Dark Souls 3

4 Points
Pillars of Eternity

3 Points
Dragon Age: Origins
Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Analysing my already 2 years-old post, there are some things that I would have changed.

Bloodlines would have ended in one of my highest-points positions. While for the games I previously voted, I think I voted some of these because they had the meaning to re-introduce me in the taste for more and more complex RPGs. Unlike many of the grognards, we're not so old, so is not rare that the introduction to more complex games with some games considered new for them. But in the long run, that was their major value for me, because they hasn't stayed with me as much, and looking back, there are a lot of things that I ended up not liking about them.

This obviously doesn't apply to certain games with torment, another with dark and that one in medieval Bohemia. I know these are and always will be, great games. Though, my favourite genre will always be fantasy and above all some of its specific subgenres. In terms of games, Bloodlines is probably the game that gave a long lasting impact in my taste (while outside of gaming there are some things that have influenced me even more strongly and were these that made me started like Bloodlines more).

Things that hasn't changed (and are not going to) at all since then is that I still don't like Dungeon Crawlers, nor the so-called "rogue-likes". The former at least I respect, the latter I just don't like it. At the same time, my preference for story heavy and atmospheric games has only increased even more.

Another thing I would have changed is that I would have counted my points well, so I wouldn't have to harass the vote counter. Although I blame Codex as it doesn't let new users edit their post after 5 minutes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom