Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone doing the Steam GOTY thing? What are ya'll nominating? My gaming time this year was a bit reduced and I mostly played older or ancient games. Not really up to speed on good new games. I'm thinking about nominating Wasteland 3 for GOTY but I'm curious about some other tips.

Grimoire, like every year :ibelieveincleve:

Unfortuntately Steam stopped being retarded and now, when it comes to 2020 GOTY, they only allow - shock! - games that actually came out in 2020.

Still the GOTY in my heart, and V3 came out this year :M

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wanna vote for Kentucky Route Zero but the store page has its episode 1 release date in 2013, so it's not eligible for GOTY :negative:

Doesn't help that the majority of 2020 games I anticipate are coming in December (Call of the Sea, Unto The End, Suzerain, Phoenix Point, Empire of Sin).

Was going to pick indie games only (because I think AAA games have enough recognition already), but found it too difficult for a Most Innovative Award pick, so I went with Death Stranding.

GOTY - Outer Wilds
VR GOTY - Boneworks - the only VR game I got to play, inconsistent at times but pretty carthatic
Labor of Love - Kentucky Route Zero
Better with Friends - Deep Rock Galactic
Outstanding Visual Style - Beautiful Desolation
Most Innovative Gameplay - Death Stranding
Best Games You Suck At - F1 2020
Best Soundtrack Award - Wasteland 3 (solely becaues of Battle Hymn of the Republic)
Outstanding Story Rich - Paradise Killer
Sit Back and Relax - Post Void

PrettyDeadman

Troubleshooter is the best candidate for labor of love. They continue to put a lot of work into the game after it released while being extremely polite and attentive in communications with community.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Troubleshooter is the best candidate for labor of love. They continue to put a lot of work into the game after it released while being extremely polite and attentive in communications with community.
I just started Troubleshooter and I really like it, play smoothly, charming characters, Masteries and multiclasses with the sheer quantity (and looks like there's a lot of quality in there too), kickass soundtrack, and the terrain types are a nice substitute for Firaxis' XCOM's destructible environment. I was hesitant to fire it up so close to Phoenix Point's launch, but so far I'm digging it much more than Chimera Squad (ran out of steam after 15 hours) and Gears Tactics (barebone mechanics outside of combat) :greatjob:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just started Troubleshooter and I really like it, play smoothly, charming characters, Masteries and multiclasses with the sheer quantity (and looks like there's a lot of quality in there too), kickass soundtrack, and the terrain types are a nice substitute for Firaxis' XCOM's destructible environment. I was hesitant to fire it up so close to Phoenix Point's launch, but so far I'm digging it much more than Chimera Squad (ran out of steam after 15 hours) and Gears Tactics (barebone mechanics outside of combat) :greatjob:
Goddamn how I wish this game wasn't so weeby. Do I really need this in my nerdy, precise, logical turn-based tactical RPG?

ss_e229454d8dafd500ca1a545918923a4fec3aeca0.600x338.jpg

Just...why.

PrettyDeadman

Goddamn how I wish this game wasn't so weeby. Do I really need this in my nerdy, precise, logical turn-based tactical RPG?

ss_e229454d8dafd500ca1a545918923a4fec3aeca0.600x338.jpg

Just...why.
Lol, just skip every dialogue. Thats what I do. I have no idea what's going in the game plotwise. Though people say that story personality of characters actually corresponds to their builds which is kinda cool but whatever. I don't have time for that.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Some big mods for Skyrim and other games gets Steam release and now - something from potatolande

There will be English and other languages but no voices.

Yes, Your Grace, "kingdom management RPG":

ss_9538c29f5f4cec661b179e23e3ff8ab6a27d383a.600x338.jpg
ss_6155124fa1e09ef14c6b9f9c3043576b7b92a2eb.600x338.jpg

Is this some kind of unnecessarily complicated derivative of "Reigns"?

Dunno, but I tossed it on my wishlist to keep a vague eye on it. That's a concept that could be a lot of fun, just remains to be seen how the execution is.

:necro:

It's free on game pass now and I've sunk a few hours into it. Still remains to be seen ultimately how much C&C is there (I've seen at least one railroaded point and I'm fairly sure another story beat is mandatory too) but my initial sense after a few hours is it isn't going to be a completely freeform story about kingdom management, it's more along the lines of trying to get an optimal ending via resource management for the main chosen story. Which isn't bad in itself, but it's not a dream KoDP-like or whatever.

Doesn't seem dissimilar to a princess raising game, though not as deadly (So far at least) as... That... One from a few years ago. That was more rigid in fail states (You have 15 points instead of 18 in coquettishness? You got murdered) since Your Kingdom Awaits My Lord seems to err on failing checks leading to penalties which can ultimately spiral to a game over but you can soak up a few. It also seems to lean toward snowballing resources. Gold and supplies (The first two icons on the left screen there) are your primary resources and typically go into story events and listening to petitioners which bumps up morale (The masks on the right) and morale increases the income of gold and supplies slightly. Thus far the balance does seem to favor making nobles and merchants happy since that can lead to larger additional sources of revenue rather than wringing an extra coin out of the peasants, but you get the idea. You also get a few other plates to spin in the form of the map (Right screen) where you can send agents to do shit (Sometimes gets resources, sometimes solves/stops events, etc) but you have finite agents and events can take multiple turns to solve, and agents can also be used to settle petitioners. On top of that, you have a limited number of pigeons you can send each turn to try to coax neighboring kingdoms and lords to ally with you which can give you some higher-level goals to shoot for. Ultimately it looks like you need to get a strong enough army to survive an attack at the end of the game, but alliances look to bring in extra soldiers as well as potentially extra gold/supply income. And on top of all THAT you get some extremely light adventure gaming going on (Not to spoil it but a major story beat involves puttering around the castle and interacting with it more actively than just clicking through the regular gamey interface. Which is fortunate because otherwise there'd be no damn reason for them to let you/make you point and click your way around) which may or may not continue after this one story beat, but it's a bit cool it's there.

Overall pretty positive. Not a dream game but looking damn good for free game pass and unless it shits the bed later on, not entirely awful for the $20 asking price, or if you see it in a bundle at some point consider it a nice addition. The music's quite nice too.

GrainWetski

Arcane

It's free on game pass now and I've sunk a few hours into it. Still remains to be seen ultimately how much C&C is there (I've seen at least one railroaded point and I'm fairly sure another story beat is mandatory too) but my initial sense after a few hours is it isn't going to be a completely freeform story about kingdom management, it's more along the lines of trying to get an optimal ending via resource management for the main chosen story. Which isn't bad in itself, but it's not a dream KoDP-like or whatever.

Doesn't seem dissimilar to a princess raising game, though not as deadly (So far at least) as... That... One from a few years ago. That was more rigid in fail states (You have 15 points instead of 18 in coquettishness? You got murdered) since Your Kingdom Awaits My Lord seems to err on failing checks leading to penalties which can ultimately spiral to a game over but you can soak up a few. It also seems to lean toward snowballing resources. Gold and supplies (The first two icons on the left screen there) are your primary resources and typically go into story events and listening to petitioners which bumps up morale (The masks on the right) and morale increases the income of gold and supplies slightly. Thus far the balance does seem to favor making nobles and merchants happy since that can lead to larger additional sources of revenue rather than wringing an extra coin out of the peasants, but you get the idea. You also get a few other plates to spin in the form of the map (Right screen) where you can send agents to do shit (Sometimes gets resources, sometimes solves/stops events, etc) but you have finite agents and events can take multiple turns to solve, and agents can also be used to settle petitioners. On top of that, you have a limited number of pigeons you can send each turn to try to coax neighboring kingdoms and lords to ally with you which can give you some higher-level goals to shoot for. Ultimately it looks like you need to get a strong enough army to survive an attack at the end of the game, but alliances look to bring in extra soldiers as well as potentially extra gold/supply income. And on top of all THAT you get some extremely light adventure gaming going on (Not to spoil it but a major story beat involves puttering around the castle and interacting with it more actively than just clicking through the regular gamey interface. Which is fortunate because otherwise there'd be no damn reason for them to let you/make you point and click your way around) which may or may not continue after this one story beat, but it's a bit cool it's there.

Overall pretty positive. Not a dream game but looking damn good for free game pass and unless it shits the bed later on, not entirely awful for the $20 asking price, or if you see it in a bundle at some point consider it a nice addition. The music's quite nice too.
How is it free when you're paying?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

How is it free when you're paying?
After you've paid, it's free, okay? This is capitalism, not some commie stuff, ye hear me?!

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
How does it compare to AC7?

It doesn't look as good as AC 7 but you have to remember this probably had a fraction of the budget. It doesn't have expensive cutscenes either. Still looks good enough. (That's the mission start you don't have black bars during the rest of the mission.)
KnDKeac.png

The gameplay is literally like in Ace Combat 5-7, like 1:1 copy. It even has enemy aces squadrons like in Zero. I love it! The full game can be played both in VR and in normal display. Aircraft is modelled accurately but uses fictional names i presume to avoid paying licensing fees.

Original aircraft do not steal!

The story and presentation are very Ace Combat instead of Strangereal it takes place in a post apocalyptic setting with nations like Cascadia. They even managed to replicate the campy dialogue.

Overall i'm liking the game a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom