Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Grabbed Limbo from GG on Saturday for slightly cheaper than the current Steam price. Good fun and not as bad as some people's comments lead me to believe. Also while not very deep, it's still much better and less pretientious than Braid as an art game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's something I wouldn't mind in an indie bundle but it's just another in a long line of atmospheric puzzle platformers. And it's three hours long. There are far too many of these as it is plus you have a lot of two and three man teams raising the bar with that can be done on a shoestring budget a la Dredmor, Terraria, etc.

Multi-headed Cow

Sweet Jesus, Dungeon Defenders Christmas DLC is on Steam for $10 (after 25% discount). That's not free! That's not free at all!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It was pretty obvious that was going to be a cash milking scheme when they charged $4 for variations on the four classes and $2 for existing maps with their modes changed. What's sad is the expansion isn't that much content. They're selling it in four parts and the first part only has one actual campaign mission, a defense challenge, monster fest challenge, and PvP (which is horribly broken in that game).

In other news people who have been datamining have found there's going to be another 'Treasure Hunt' sale of sorts for the Holiday event. Basically you get achievements in games, they can either unlock gift certificates for games or a 'lump of coal' -- these basically act as tickets/entries into a big giveaway at the end with a grand prize of all games on steam and various top X games on your wishlist.

Multi-headed Cow

Cool beans. I had noticed a bunch of Christmas achievements showing up, I'd probably have fun doing another Steam achievement whore party for wonderful prizes of maybe one game, one or two pieces of good DLC, and a bunch of really bad DLC.

Ooh, hell, Dredmor expansion might even be a prize. That'd be nice.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
http://steamtreasurehunt.wikia.com/wiki ... Objectives

Epic Holiday Giveaway
The Steam Holiday Sale concludes on January 2nd with the Epic Holiday Giveaway.

"How to enter:
Entries will be based
on the number of coal
remaining in your
Steam Inventory on
January 2nd at 10am
PST."

"You must also have 10
items on your Steam
wishlist at that time to
qualify"

"Click here for complete
contest rules."

Grand Prize
1 winner
Every single game on Steam
First Prize
50 winners
Top 10 items on wishlist
Second Prize
100 winners
Top 5 items on wishlist
Third Prize
1,000 winners
Valve Complete Pack
-------------------

Gifts
Congratulations! You got a gift.
Here is what you can do with it:
Use it
"The Great Gift Pile has both full games

and coupons. You can simply use them."

Trade it
"You can trade both gifts and coal with your friends
for all kinds of things. Steam Trading makes this easy."

Give it
"Feeling generous? Send your
gift to a friend, or give it to a
stranger. Just image the
karma!"

Coal
"You got a lump of coal? Don't despair.
Here are three things you can do with it:"

Craft it
"Seven pieces of coal can be crafted into
a gift from the Gift Pile. Don't worry, you
won't get coal again."

Save it
"Or you can save it all up. Each lump of
coal is an entry into the Epic Holiday
Giveaway on January 2."

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Fucketh me. I'm in Mexico, no X360 pad close, and they keyboard for this laptop sucks for Super Meat Boy. Managed to complete only one of the hard as fuck xmas levels, and the others look worse. I really don't feel comfy doing it this way.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Just finished Shank... all 2.5-3 hours of it. The combat is pretty fun, boss fights are terrible (basically hit X when Y weakness comes up), and there's a decent amount of stupid jump/grapple filler, too. Anyone who paid $15 for it got ripped off bigtime.

Satan

Educated
Magicka for 2.5€... hmmm... I didn't like the demo, but I heard it's really fun on multiplayer, so I don't know...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Just got Stazius from Steam. All I can say is :yeah:
If you are a fan of old school horizontal shmups then this game is for you. My only complaint is that bosses can be easily killed off with special charge up weapons (playing on Normal) but there are 2 other higher difficulties so I'm sure that wont be a problem then. Not to mention that it can be rather difficult to get to the boss fight in the first place, which can be considered part of the boss fight too.

P. cool music, really fun weapons (you can customize your ship with whatever guns you want, and unlock more from bosses), well designed non-frustrating but challenging levels and all the enemy designs look cool. Game feels suitably challenging on Normal, like it'll always be a challenge but wont make you ragequit.
I recommend it. It's only 6€.
:thumbsup:

WhiteGamer

Educated
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Shogun 2, 13 Euro dollars or so, does it worth? I'm quite suspicious as to if it's worth it due to the great disappointment that was Empire.

Get it. For sure.

If not, SHAMEFUR DISPRAY.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Looks like the Xmas sale just started. Like the Summer Event, you can complete various achievements in selected game to collect some tokens and win some stuff.

Edit: being currently in Mexico with a non-gaming laptop kinda suck but I managed tonab some. Some are gonna give me trouble, like the Dow2: Retribution one, since I can pretty much launch the game but not really play. Anyone who wants to start a game on one of the selected maps and wait for 30 mins until we get it?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What did you guys get as a gift?

I got a 50% off one Valve title coupon.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Haven't redeemed it yet - waiting for the servers to calm down. Seems like you got a good one as I've heard they stack with the promos. Anyway, first set of dailies are pretty standard: Just Cause 2, Sam & Max, Metro, Singularity, Rift, Amnesia, Orcs Must Die, Max Payne, Portal 2, an indie adventure game pack, Bunch of Heroes, and Fable. Interesting enough Fable: The Lost Chapters (which I guess is Fable 1 for Windows) was recently added and, with the promo, is only $2.50. I'll probably grab that.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Dunno, I can't access my inventory at the time being :D

Anyway I found this page to be pretty useful to check the various achievements: http://steamcheeves.com/. The page still need to be updated and some achievements may not relate to the sale, but all were added recently and most have a christmas theme.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And, actually, those coupons are pretty bad. Friend of mine looked at the fine print: Can't use it until AFTER the sale ends and it isn't good on any Valve titles released in the future, just past stuff. Lol.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Metro said:
And, actually, those coupons are pretty bad. Friend of mine looked at the fine print: Can't use it until AFTER the sale ends and it isn't good on any Valve titles released in the future, just past stuff. Lol.

kHSo0.jpg

I'd get a screen shot of the coupon, but I can't view it in my inventory anymore. I also got another gift, but I can't see it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom