Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I couldn't find a single fucking thing. I even lowered my standards several times. Amazon is giving away better games next month.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Pondering if I should get the Realms of Arkania HD games. Got the originals on GoG. ERYFKRAD ?
Alternativly maybe Pillars of Eternity+White Run maybe? Though I read that Mr UbarBalance Josh Saywer took all the fun out of a BG spiritual successor game.

The White thingy has gotten seriously high praise. I think Sawyer dialed back on a lot of the shit PoE got at release (trash mobs, no hard counters). I've considered picking up the expansions and giving them a go (but probably not soon). I wouldn't pay a ton for the base game.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Halloween sale ultra shit for anyone else as well? I had weekend sales with more deeply reduced games before.
Join date suggests that you might actually be 1 year old, but this has been the case for a long time already: dailies usually give better discounts than seasonal sales. Those went to shit pretty much at the point when they removed flash sales.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Pondering if I should get the Realms of Arkania HD games. Got the originals on GoG. ERYFKRAD ?

His REALMS OF ARKANIA HD stick is ironic. The HD remakes were horrible at launch, beyond awfull. They have received a lot of patches since then, but they still somehow feel more clunky and outdated than the originals from 1992.
If you are allergic to DOSBOX then the HD remakes are now fine, after dozens of patches, but otherwise an emulator still prooves superior.

Alternativly maybe Pillars of Eternity+White Run maybe? Though I read that Mr UbarBalance Josh Saywer took all the fun out of a BG spiritual successor game.

I think the first run in mr :balance: mellow ride is ok, only on a replay you will realise that most of your choices in character building did not matter.
Expansion even has good reputation here. So compared to ROA HD it is clearly superior.

Halloween sale ultra shit for anyone else as well? I had weekend sales with more deeply reduced games before.
Join date suggests that you might actually be 1 year old, but this has been the case for a long time already: dailies usually give better discounts than seasonal sales. Those went to shit pretty much at the point when they removed flash sales.

Idk, seasonals have stayed decent for me. No longer -90% off decent, but I got multiple -75% each time with my 100 game wishlist. Particularily Winter and Chinese New Year have been great for me, although if they make a fall themed sale I usually find some stuff aswell. This one has been beyond awfull for me, 20 games reduced but all at -20%.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'm talking about dailies vs seasonal. When they made seasonals flat, it became fairly standard that dailies offer 10-25% better discounts. You'll often get the same discount, but cases where seasonal offers a better deal are super rare, if they exist at all.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
RPGS from my waitlist that either matches or is new best price:

Really only a good sale for picking up old stuff that you have been wanting for the past 3-4 months.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Same here. I bought some stuff in the end, but expected more.

Oddly enough the only one I am not enjoying currently is Theseus, not a big fan of CYOA style games without character creation.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another old Apogee game got an HD remake. Monster Bash HD:

ss_69621f50c68c8a478a5560b656444defffaa9fa2.600x338.jpg
ss_9361dda01f168119b8d5901eef725efba84bf205.600x338.jpg

Jinn

Arcane
Oddly enough the only one I am not enjoying currently is Theseus, not a big fan of CYOA style games without character creation.

Would love to read some of your brief impressions on Monster Sanctuary sometime! I think there's a thread for it in the JRPG forum.

Retardo

Learned
RPGS from my waitlist that either matches or is new best price:

Really only a good sale for picking up old stuff that you have been wanting for the past 3-4 months.

Resonance of Fate looks quite promising, but there are threads in steam discussions with people saying it has stutters and/or frequent crashes. Have you experienced any?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah the hardcore Rogue hipsters are a rather... interesting bunch. The number of people who played any of the original Rogue versions is so tiny, and sales of the Epyx port were so small it was considered a commercial flop even by the numbers of the mid-80s. Pretty much everyone who got exposed to it did so either through an abandonware version of the Epyx game (most probably through the internet, ie late 90s) or through a later UNIX distro (so also 90s). Getting defensive about the "original" Rogue would be like someone calling for boycott of Nethack because it deviates so much from the original Hack.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
Another old Apogee game got an HD remake.

While I was showing my new game at PAX West a month ago the owner of Apogee came over to my booth and I told him "I remember playing Apogee games when I was a kid, I had no idea you were still around". I wasn't trying to be insulting but he took it the wrong way and got pretty passive aggressive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Puukko

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom