Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Ivan

Arcane
Lies of P was a good time. Some 3 hours of "we have Bloodborne at home honey"

lightbane

Arcane
Back to the Dawn is good. Prison Break meets Blacksad and it's a RPG with C&C. You can even get an ending right at the start of the game if you do the obviously evil thing and get away with it. However, the creators seem to be Japs and yet the game IS NOT a JRPG nor a Souls like so Codexers will throw a fit.

Modron

Arcane
This was decent little srpg despite the goofy name, character leveling, stealth, optional mission objectives, mission performance yields research points and parts you can use to synthesize and upgrade consumables (grenades, healthpacks, trip mines, weapons platforms, et cetera).

This game was alright, says it's a deckbuilder but only in the loosest sense, it's much more a JRPG inspired affair.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Here's one for Sukhāvatī, seems like a well done nod to early/mid 90s run and gunners. Weapons and shields have variable stats, you have a small inventory to hold them and 3 slots to equip. Find some real quality versions of them in secrets.

Edit: I spoke too soon the third mission was a full on space sim and the screen shots show bike segments, pretty ambitious little game. Demo has 3 stages, 2 run and gun platformers and ends with the afformentioned space sim segment.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

So does the GingaForce look like this

gettyimages-165961400-1024x1024.jpg

or this?

imaginary-army-of-redhead-women-ai-generative-2pg927a.jpg

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I tried the following (+ thoughts below):

- Cyber Knights: Flashpoint: I was pumped for this, but after playing the demo for an hour and half, I don't think I'll get it after all. It's not that it's a bad game. It's just that it feels like a run-of-the-mill tactics game with puzzle elements, like Hard West and XCOM. Kinda weak on the cyberpunk aesthetic too.

- Broken Roads: not my cup of tea. I should be excited because it looks like Jericho: The RPG, but I didn't feel connected with any of the characters, which should be the bread and butter of a storyfag game like this. Combat and exploration pillars felt too simplistic too.

- Project Planet: interesting concept for a local multiplayer game, and it has an immersive feel. However I don't know who I'd play this with, and thematically it seems to take itself too seriously.

- Revival: Recolonization: Didn't spend too much time with it. Feels like a generic 4X game.

- Strategic Mind: Spirit of Liberty: Pretty cool hex and chit wargame that allows you to level up your units. I have my eye on this.

- Quasimorph: Didn't spend too much time on this roguelike. I think I only scratched the surface, but I didn't feel compelled to play on after my first death.

- Fortune's Run: Can read more of my thoughts here.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Back to the Dawn is good. Prison Break meets Blacksad and it's a RPG with C&C. You can even get an ending right at the start of the game if you do the obviously evil thing and get away with it. However, the creators seem to be Japs and yet the game IS NOT a JRPG nor a Souls like so Codexers will throw a fit.
Just gave it a spin. This is pretty good, thanks for the recommendation!

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I think the more likely cause of people throwing a fit is the furry artstyle.

deuxhero

Arcane
This looks fun. Will give the demo a try later today.

Edit: Oh wait, it has a minimum of an RX 580 and I'm stuck on an RX 480. Maybe next year then.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I love it
people play vidya so they don't have to look at brown people - making it about furry things (what would be a majorly brown affair) is the perfect way of getting around it

lightbane

Arcane
The game has animal people but it's not really furry. Characters for example lack tails for some reason.
I think I'll make a thread later as this deserves more attention.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher

Real-time blobber. Looks and plays like some 90s shovelware and has really awful writing. I enjoyed it much more than I should, probably because it's very smooth and relaxed, kinda like the old M&M games. Or maybe I just like my dungeon crawlers way, way too much. Unfortunately the last patch broke my save and I probably won't bother starting a new playthrough, even though I didn't get very far in my previous one.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm playing Bellwright. Very standard survival/crafting stuff but it's a bit of fun. Having a good time building my shitty little shacks and going fucking apeshit when bastards show up to raid me.

That En Garde game looks ace, trying that next.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I played a few but these are the ones that immediately jumped out to me. Might make another post after trying out some more demos later.

Crypt Lord: This is a rather low budget, real time, free movement dungeon crawler with a decent amount of effort put into the setting. Sadly the combat could use some work. Attacking is a simple affair where clicking MB1 will perform an attack and MB2 blocks. Mouse positioning does not cause you to swing from different directions (like Ultima Underworld) and blocking is painfully slow which is something I would like to see fixed in the final game.

Skies Above The Great War: A World War 1 flight simulation game with a campaign mode. What is most apparent is a lack of options menu to explain controls to the player. In fact the game does not explain much at all which is a big issue for a game such as this. Most notably, playing the game was something I had to figure out through clicking random icons and pressing keys at random. Eventually I realized clicking on the XBox controller icon which appears upon selecting planes near No Mans Land allows you to start a battle (because Xbox was around during WW1). I cannot recommend this game at the moment due to how barebones it is, just another developer treating the demofest as way to show off their alpha stage game.

A-Space First Assault: A space combat sim which is another barebones proof of concept. The demo has a skirmish mode which allows you to select your wingman and enemy combatants, as of now there are no missions but apparently the game has a level editor so that is a bonus. A-Space controls fine but for some asinine reason the mouse cannot be used to select menus while you in a skirmish. Ask any Freespace or Tie-Fighter veteran and they will tell you how many keybindings a game like this can have. So not being able to quickly navigate what is clearly a mouse centric UI while in combat is annoying. I cannot recommend this game at the moment due but it might be worth checking out in a year or two.

The Legend of Capa Negra: A dark fantasy Diablo clone that, according to its Steam page, has Soulslike elements. To get the cat out of the bag, this game is entirely derivative in all aspects. This game is your standard ARPG through and through with the addition of being able to retrieve your gear upon death which is quite obviously borrowed from the Dark Souls series. Unlike in those games however, Capa Negra provides no lore reason behind this. Dying in Dark Souls has you respawn at a bonfire which makes sense in that games context due to the player character being an undead who is revived upon "dying." After dying in Capa Negra the character respawns at the levels entrance. No frills or originality, HP goes to zero then boom back to the locations beginning. Despite not usually being a fan of games of this genre, I did find this demo fun purely because of combat. Capa Negra allows you to chain attacks, effect enemey movement through magic, and shove enemies which will disrupt their balance. I might also just be interested in an ARPG which includes these elements so time to find some.

Stellar Wanderer: A Freelancer clone, don't see a lot of those, that seems to be in development hell but has recently picked up a publisher. The game is very similar to Freelancer in the fact it has arcadey flight physics, a combination of combat/trade missions, and themed system named after real life places. AI is in need of serious improvement. Half the time they would engage me combat then proceed not to do anything. Another problem is this games overabundance of UI elements. Immediately upon entering space you will not first notice the colorful starting system but instead see fifty target icons all telling you what is in the system. Who needs organic discovery in their games? Just immediately show where everything is so the window lickers won't get lost! Overall I have my apprehensions about this game but still will maintain some interest

Naheulbeuk's Dungeon Master: A comedy focused Dungeon Keeper clone that is not an obnoxious meme filled mess like the Dungeon series. I have mixed feelings on this, the demo never gives you full control since it is just a glorified tutorial. What is present has potential but I will have to wait for the full game to release to make any concrete calls.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Demiurges is an interesting indie HoMM somewhat procedurally generated lite deckbuilder.

Space Prison was better than I thought it would be, not really an RPG but a roguelike affair with some story and quests to it. A fair amount of choice of what gang to join, upgrades to pick from them, the ability to fight anyone and everyone or befriend them, et cetera.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane

Very cool looking first person puzzle game, somewhat similar to Superliminal, but goes way beyond just playing with perspective.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom