Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

vota DC

Augur
Cool, can you add dialogue too? If you make speak even rats you can do a Mickey Mouse mod!

newtmonkey

Arcane
ADG is both incline and decline. He's incline because he covers DOS games, but decline because his taste is godawful. My biggest issue with him (besides his taste) is that he sets up this whole thing about testing every "ideal" sound mode, but then in every case just goes "just choose adlib/sound blaster cuz that's easiest." No way, especially now when we have MUNT working basically perfect, the optimal choice for most of the games he covers is MT-32; especially if you are just gonna use DOSBOX (which he always uses) why wouldn't you use MT-32???

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gave the ADG video a watch:

I consider it a one-player action RPG, given its reliance on stat numbers and leveling combined with the real-time gameplay.

:what:

Given also that he spends a whole minute whining about how expensive physical copies of the game are, how his summary of the backstory borderline butchers it and that he didn't play the game through (he didn't even reach the third floor), I have a hard time recommending it to any seasoned (or even novice) Ultima Underworld fan.

Yeah. I like the guy but he's not very knowledgable about some genres.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
He straight out admits in some of his episodes that he's not very good at RPGs and Strategy games. Despite his not liking my two favorite genres, I do find his coverage of DOS games to be interesting enough, and I'm happy he at least covers them.

Wunderbar

Arcane
maUSErj.png

Just finished Ultima Underworld 1. GOG version without new controls hack/mouselook, only messed around with sound configs to make music less awful.

Played as a Druid, though i may as well be playing as a fighter cuz i've never ever used rune magic and only leveled Attack, Defence, Mace and Lore.

I'm not really an oldgamer (this is the oldest video game i've completed), and it really blew my mind with the amount of stuff devs managed to achieve back in 1992. Full 3d with textured walls, ability to look up and down, geometrical verticality with inclines/declines and platforming, environmental interactivity, physics simulation. You can pick up stuff, hold it in your hands, and then either put it in your inventory or throw it away. You can use interconnected subterranian rivers to quickly get from A to B if you know where to swim. You can return back to previous floors and find something you've missed earlier because now you have the ability to fly, new keys or a new knowledge. You control your character with some kind of WASD scheme, while other games were controlled using arrows. This has to be the most innovative video game ever made.

There were quite a few things that i wasn't a fan of, like a confusing levelling system where you must rely on finding specific mantras, useless skills, mandatory quest items being hidden behind secret walls, etc. Oh well that's 1992 for you, i guess you can't be perfect and innovative in every aspect.

I've encountered a notorious "Underworld internal error - problems in object list" bug after hitting the 6th floor, but for some reason it never removed any item from my inventory (checked after every floor transition). GOG version is supposed to be patched, so maybe the game warns you about reaching the old (pre-patch) limit.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
maUSErj.png

Just finished Ultima Underworld 1. GOG version without new controls hack/mouselook, only messed around with sound configs to make music less awful.

Played as a Druid, though i may as well be playing as a fighter cuz i've never ever used rune magic and only leveled Attack, Defence, Mace and Lore.

I'm not really an oldgamer (this is the oldest video game i've completed), and it really blew my mind with the amount of stuff devs managed to achieve back in 1992. Full 3d with textured walls, ability to look up and down, geometrical verticality with inclines/declines and platforming, environmental interactivity, physics simulation. You can pick up stuff, hold it in your hands, and then either put it in your inventory or throw it away. You can use interconnected subterranian rivers to quickly get from A to B if you know where to swim. You can return back to previous floors and find something you've missed earlier because now you have the ability to fly, new keys or a new knowledge. You control your character with some kind of WASD scheme, while other games were controlled using arrows. This has to be the most innovative video game ever made.

There were quite a few things that i wasn't a fan of, like a confusing levelling system where you must rely on finding specific mantras, useless skills, mandatory quest items being hidden behind secret walls, etc. Oh well that's 1992 for you, i guess you can't be perfect and innovative in every aspect.

I've encountered a notorious "Underworld internal error - problems in object list" bug after hitting the 6th floor, but for some reason it never removed any item from my inventory (checked after every floor transition). GOG version is supposed to be patched, so maybe the game warns you about reaching the old limit.
Paladin is one of the better classes, as it gives you a chance to get 30/18/12 (S/D/I), making you a fair monster when it comes to close combat. The 30 Str really helps with carrying stuff, if you are that way inclined (I am :D ).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Druids also can get 30 STR, and IIRC they start with more useful skills than the Paladin does.

. You control your character with some kind of WASD scheme, while other games were controlled using arrows. This has to be the most innovative video game ever made.

Last time I played it I used the mouse exclusively. It's a very elegant UI.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Ugh, managing weight was a pain in the butt, had to throw away a lot of stuff. I also found out about magic items only in the end, never even checked items that were lying on the floor unless they were looking better than my current gear. What is that, excellent plate gauntlets of thick skin? all this time i've been skipping potentially powerful items?

Druids also can get 30 STR, and IIRC they start with more useful skills than the Paladin does.
i wasn't aware about raising main attributes, in the end had 23 STR.

Cael

Arcane

. You control your character with some kind of WASD scheme, while other games were controlled using arrows. This has to be the most innovative video game ever made.

Paladin is Med Dex, Low Int.

Druid is Low Dex, Med Int, IIRC.

Dex has an effect on movement, I think. And since you aren't going to be using spellcasting much, 12 Int is no hinderance.

Zer0wing

Cipher
It is but juggling your bags like in UVII or trying to fight or spellcast with only cursor swings without keyboard can be tedious.

Also, the sequel has better story and writing, IMO.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Should i play UU2?
It looks like a mission pack rather than a full blown sequel, and i've heard its story is connected with main series which i've never played.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Definitely play UU2.
It is better is some way and worse in other ways, but overall only slightly inferior to UU1.

It ties in with Ultima 7, so you may want to play that first if you can stomach it (I couldn't) or read an LP. CRPG Addict is currently playing it.

Cael

Arcane
Go to LP Archive and look up Nakar's take on the Ultima series. He plays it from 4-7:2, and it is the most hilarious thing you will ever read in a good long while.

UU2 is far better than UU1 in many ways. My only gripe is the best magical armour is leather :(

Zer0wing

Cipher
It is better is some way and worse in other ways, but overall only slightly inferior to UU1.
The bigger view window alone makes it better than UU1.

Also, those who think the music sucks should fuck around with MUNT and find the MT32.rom to feed it and setup dosbox.conf to use munt as primary midi device. Also brings the sfx back. UU1&2 uses mt32 to play sound effects.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've encountered a notorious "Underworld internal error - problems in object list" bug after hitting the 6th floor, but for some reason it never removed any item from my inventory (checked after every floor transition). GOG version is supposed to be patched, so maybe the game warns you about reaching the old (pre-patch) limit.

I've come across this bug message numerous times in the ~30 years I've played UUW1, but only once has it affected me - by having full inventory bags disappearing into thin air.

I know what caused it: I was hoarding too many items in the same location. Apparentely the game doesn't like that, so please don't do it. Have smaller hoards scattered about.

I'm telling you this because this can also happen in UUW2. 9/10 the message will start when you descend to the third floor of the Pits of Carnage.

UUW2 has gameplay and interface improvements over UUW1, but in terms of setting and story it's inferior due to its dependance upon Ultima 7. It serves as an 'interquel' to Ultima 7 Part 1 (The Black Gate) and Part 2 (Serpent Isle), and uses plot elements and characters from The Black Gate, and hints at events in Serpent Isle. Otherwise UUW1 and UUW2 are not connected at all, save for a single character you meet very late in UUW2.

Zer0wing

Cipher
UUW2 has gameplay and interface improvements over UUW1, but in terms of setting and story it's inferior due to its dependance upon Ultima 7
Dependency is not a function of quality measurement. UU1 having no connection to Ultima series (like, is it even Ultima?) raises more questions than makes it a better game.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Don't think of Underworld 1 as an Ultima game. It wasn't supposed to be before it became part of Looking Glass's deal with Origin.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
UUW2 has gameplay and interface improvements over UUW1, but in terms of setting and story it's inferior due to its dependance upon Ultima 7
Dependency is not a function of quality measurement.
Oh but it is. For all the gameplay innovations, the setting of the Ultima series is retarded as fuck. UW1 is much better off for having only superficial connection to it (though hurt by shoving that connection in).

UU2 is okay, but I would say quite a bit inferior to 1. Level design is overall weaker, there’s about 10x more plot exposition/stupid LB nonsense, and the segmentation of the worlds works counter to the original’s design goals and atmosphere. UI improvements are really nice though and make it hard to go back to 1.
All in all if UU1 is a 10/10 (which it is) I’d say 2 is a 7.5. 8 if I’m feeling generous.

Cael

Arcane
The worst thing about UU2 is the stupid game breaking bug that is only in the game because fucking spector wants to take a dump with his sjw shit all over the game.

Comte

I replayed UU1 and UU2 a few years ago and really enjoyed both but UU1 is the superior game. UU2 has some nice moments I really like how the garden turns to crap in the castle without sunlight and how all the food in the castle starts going bad the more time you play. I really liked the sewers in UU2 and the Tomb world the most but overall it is much weaker the UU1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom