Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Just play the damn game or fuck off already.

Yes (Stick Of Truth being the best example) but by adding a difficulty setting you at least acknowledge than not everyone is a fuckin casul. Just look at http://www.insanedifficulty.com, a whole community of modders who tweak jrpgs to make them more difficult. Even the western games have major realism/difficulty mods on the Nexus.

I never knew this site existed. I'm eager to try some of these out, gracias.

deuxhero

Arcane
I looked at Valkyria Chronicle's PC manual (You should be able to DL it from Steam with just this link). There's actually a reference to not putting the disc in a CD player. I think this is just from Sega Europe copy-pasting the legalize page and not that there were any plans for a physical release.

(also: while looking for other Sega manuals to confirm that, I realized Binary Domain has a config thing. The sound didn't play because it tried to output sound to some speakers I no longer use instead of HDMI. Maybe I should play it now that that's fixed)

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Just got this game, it's pretty interesting. The rating system is indeed a piece of shit though.

Cynicus

Augur
I don't let the ratings get in the way of my waifu enjoyment. It seems like the ratings are there primarily to troll perfectionists.

Deleted member 7219

I quite like it so far, can't quite figure out why though. I'm still very early in the game, have barely played 2 hours.

I've installed a few mods to update the character models, icons and to get rid of the canvas/blurry shit in normal gameplay, but it is still there in cutscenes and it is really, really horrible.

I'm also doing 1x downsampling, so when I am actually in gameplay, it looks quite nice.

There seems to be a lot of arsing about though. I don't mind cutscenes, but there are these strange dialogue scenes that play out like Japanese visual novels and they are quite boring.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I don't let the ratings get in the way of my waifu enjoyment. It seems like the ratings are there primarily to troll perfectionists.

I don't care about it for playing the game itself, but it does irk me how it only counts round spent as a variable as a design choice.

Last edited:

marux

Augur
Got it about a week ago on sale.
This game is worth 10€.

After playing for like 12h and then not having the chance to play for 2 days, it started to feel like i had abandoned Europa, and had to get right back to it.

Story/Setting/Characters are interesting.
Love the combat.
Difficulty is ok, don't get why people are complaining. (and combat definitely does not get boring)

One of the few single-player games i have enjoyed in the past few years.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Think you can stop me?

uk1U1Bn.jpg

Once more, with feeling!

Lyc5fCm.jpg

It took me 3 full playthroughs to unlock all fucking personal bios and royal weapons.Worth it.

Picked this game up over the Steam summer sale, but just sat on it while I played MMX and Dragonfall. Finally started this sucker up 8 hours ago and it is fucking fun, but maaaaaaannn that default control scheme.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My fucking god, the Desert mission...

Thought there was no hope left, my tank stuck somewhere almost half-way but unable to proceed due to terrain, having lost a couple of guys to snipers (medevac'ed out though), and barely managed to destroy the three enemy tanks.. the AI started turtling at their base, spawning snipers constantly (!). There was no way I could have killed them with my own snipers and impossible to come close. My last save was at least 10 turns back.

I thought, OK let's see if a scout can perhaps close enough for a grenade attack - long shot because there were still two heavy gunners entrenched in front of the base. Well, having moved literally two meters out of the trench on a scout suicide mission, came the sandstorm. It was fucking glorious. Quickly, I rushed the heavy gunners first, ended them with grenades - one scout each side.

Then I moved the rest of my men waifus more forward. Sandstorm ended quickly though - now was the decisive push, it had to be done this turn. But fuck rushing the flag, they all deserved to die. Another rush/grenade attack with the scouts - picking the surviving two guys off with my snipers from a distance. Then walking up and raising the flag. It was all worth it in the end.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
You can finish that mission in two minutes by capturing the small base, calling down mortars on the enemy main base and sending scouts along the right side of the map where the enemy ace is.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
My fucking god, the Desert mission...

Thought there was no hope left, my tank stuck somewhere almost half-way but unable to proceed due to terrain, having lost a couple of guys to snipers (medevac'ed out though), and barely managed to destroy the three enemy tanks.. the AI started turtling at their base, spawning snipers constantly (!). There was no way I could have killed them with my own snipers and impossible to come close. My last save was at least 10 turns back.

I thought, OK let's see if a scout can perhaps close enough for a grenade attack - long shot because there were still two heavy gunners entrenched in front of the base. Well, having moved literally two meters out of the trench on a scout suicide mission, came the sandstorm. It was fucking glorious. Quickly, I rushed the heavy gunners first, ended them with grenades - one scout each side.

Then I moved the rest of my men waifus more forward. Sandstorm ended quickly though - now was the decisive push, it had to be done this turn. But fuck rushing the flag, they all deserved to die. Another rush/grenade attack with the scouts - picking the surviving two guys off with my snipers from a distance. Then walking up and raising the flag. It was all worth it in the end.
Playing it vanilla or with the rebalanced mod?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You can finish that mission in two minutes by capturing the small base, calling down mortars on the enemy main base and sending scouts along the right side of the map where the enemy ace is.
What do you mean "calling down mortars"... I had the small base of course, and the ace was no problem... my tank was stuck too far away to be able to shoot a mortar round.. or is there some other way ?

WhiskeyWolf: Vanilla, first blind playthrough.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
What do you mean "calling down mortars"... I had the small base of course, and the ace was no problem... my tank was stuck too far away to be able to shoot a mortar round.. or is there some other way ?

WhiskeyWolf: Vanilla, first blind playthrough.
There is an order you learn that let's you call down artillery anywhere on the map.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Now you can play VC3 young autist.

I've crawled my way just over halfway through that, but the cameo-driven plot is driving me crazy.

It is getting to the point I'm not sure I'll be able to play jRPGs that were made past the late 2000s.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Played it on PS3, but never got around to DLC. It's cheaper to just buy it discounted on PC than trying to get all the DLC for the original version.

So thanks for discount info.

Deleted member 7219

If you buy this for PC, make sure you follow the recommendations on this page:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Valkyria_Chronicles

Gedasato downscaling, along with the high res characters and remove canvas mods make the game look absolutely beautiful when in normal gameplay.

The low res, blurry border prerendered cutscenes cannot be fixed, unfortunately.

Perkel

Arcane
I've crawled my way just over halfway through that, but the cameo-driven plot is driving me crazy.

It is getting to the point I'm not sure I'll be able to play jRPGs that were made past the late 2000s.

Frankly played all 3 of them and i can safely say that 3rd one is also not worth to play.

Story isn't anything amazing and shares same gameplay problems like 2nd one.

Honestly for anyone playing i thing they shouldn't bother with psp games.

Big difference aside from story is just how fucking repetitive missions are. Where VC1 deliver diverse and new maps every new mission here you will be playing same maps over and over again with bullshit objectives just to pad game.

Lack of solid non bullshit objectives is what make those games worse in ebery way.

Also lvl desing and just how small maps are in those swirls

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, found mission 7 was alot easier than the first time I played it on the PS3 a few years ago, primarily because I got Rosie in the trench opposite where the enemy spawns both times, and she'd just shoot to pieces absolutely anybody and everybody who ran past, since the AI kept 'thinking' it could make it through that gap without getting killed. Got cut to ribbons not too long afterwards by Selveria, for sure, but she was alot more manageable.
I don't know, having some trouble still - most of the time the enemy tank chooses to attack my tank instead of the collapsed ruin walls, thus not opening the last radiator. By that time, Selveria has wiped out most of my men. Not to mention that after the last radiator, you still have to take out the tank itself.

EDIT: Nevermind, lads! Carry on!

VWiYTSt.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom