Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

ZoddGuts

Augur
They were handheld games, the limitations of the hardware hurt the sequels.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I can guess ,you moved all characters every turn,I did the same first time.Game is not designed that way or they did poor job with giving a lot of characters and deploy points and made unlocking the good stuff slow and for the game+ mode.All tactical/strategy games have that scenario/map structure that if you don't want to replay them to see where and when the ambushes/choke points/spawns directions etc. are, you have to move slow and cautiously.In RTS case it's first turtle,defend the AI scripted push then amass units and go crush ,repeat for next mission.
In VC you pick 2-3 OP characters(good potentials-double move,double shot,ammo replenish,never miss,evade) and use them a lot with OP orders(unlock potential,scout,mortar,def up) to clear maps fast.But that require to like the combat/gameplay in first place and strong will to endure the animu shit(that is not that bad compare to most).

omega21

Arcane
What got me was how the rankings were designed around speedrunning, and yeah how it's not necessarily optimal to use all your force.

deuxhero

Arcane
Yeah, you could lose your entire squad, minus the gameover if killed, and still get an s-rank if you got a scout to the flag in time.

Grinolf

Arcane
I used to sent shocktroopers firs as scouts were very vulnerable to interseption fire and before getting 7 shots upgrade struggled against ebemy shocktroopers. But since dangerous interseption fire at release was just a bug that was fixed just sending scouts could be more effective now. Didn't play the game after a fix to be sure about it.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
That's kinda what I'm experiencing now. A scout can just move that much farther if you plan a little bit (taking out one or two dangerous enemies with a sniper, for example), leaving shocktroopers far behind on the map.

Grinolf

Arcane
Snipers are very unreliable before getting their skills and upgrades and could easy waste 2-3 AP before killing a single enemy. While Shocktroopers could kill every infantry enemy with close to 100% chance as ling as they are in range. And sniper usefulness is very dependant on map. Also they have stuff like flamethrower that could easily kill 2-3 shocktroopers in the cover just for 1 AP.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
With double movement scout like Aika and good weapon you can probably do it in one turn.

Perkel

Arcane
With double movement scout like Aika and good weapon you can probably do it in one turn.

Once you git good in vanilla VC you can finish 50% of missions in one turn. In modded it isn't option anymore

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://gematsu.com/2015/11/sega-trademarks-valkyria-azure-revolution

Sega Games has filed a trademark for “Valkyria: Azure Revolution” in Japan following its trademark for “Aoki Kakumei no Valkyria” in mid-October.

“Valkyria: Azure Revolution” would be the official English title for “Aoki Kakumei no Valkyria.” We previously translated it as “Valkyria of the Blue Revolution.” “Aoki Kakumei no Valkyria” and “Valkyria: Azure Revolution” are two separate trademarks filed by Sega.

Perkel

Arcane
Weird.

Maybe after PC release and overall sales of VC1 they changed their minds and decided to do actually proper VC game instead of shitty handheld spinoffs ?

It's not like they need new engine or do realistic graphics.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
It's Sega, they couldn't find their own ass with both hands, whatever it will be it won't be on PC. I just feel it.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok i just found out that VC sold 500 000 coppies on steam (via steam spy).

Basically game sold more than 1mln coppies and went into very profitable territory for SEGA considering it wasn't super expensive title to make.

All hype aboard. I think this will be proper VC in vein of VC1 not VC2 or 3 and will be PC/console game. Maybe they will go into deal with Sony to promote game on consoles (which means no xboxone version).

If they will go into deal with Sony i assume they will reveal it at Sony E3 press conf and will probably release game something like summer (fall is usually overcrowded by biggest games)

:yeah:

Perkel

Arcane
More interesting stuff.

Trademark was made by SEGA Games not SEGA networks. Later one is their mobile division which only does mobile games where first one doesn't do any mobile games.
So we are looking at either handheld game 3DS/Vita or proper PC/console release.

Why i think it is not handheld ?

- VC2 and VC3 sold even worse than VC1 on proper consoles.
- 3DS crowd is mostly DS crowd which didn't play PSP games thus no following
- Vita is dead basically so releasing anything other than port on it is idiotic.

Meanwhile:
- PC is probably currently the best selling (# wise not money wise) platform for VC which means should sell a lot when they release sequel
- They can struck deal with Sony for promotion (which doesn't mind PC versions of games) and get E3 stage
- Creating game for both handhelds and PC/Consoles is like making two games so either handheld OR PC/consoles

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom