Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Infiltron, MarkMarkland-> I mean an early review. Some people here have already posted their first impression about the atmosphere, quality of combat and writing. Having a general feeling after 5 h of gameplay isnt nothing strange to demand of. I think usually we judge games even earlier.
I just barely can wait! Yes, I am overexcited and have barely slept today waiting and watching stream. Music is great ! But it is like watching somebody playing chess not knowing how all the pieces are moving.
Markland, does the new info about beta playthrough time also show 10 -12 h, now??

Yes. I've heard of 15 hour playthroughs to the end of Rail Nomads. I've not seen anyone do it faster than 10 hours. Definitely depends on how much exploring and reading you do and how well you build for combat and handle the combat.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Wait... people are complaining about using WASDQE to move the camera around? That is literally the easiest way to do it. You want to move the mouse all the way to the edge of the screen and use some click and drag method to rotate and move? That is some tablet shit right there. Edge panning is not better than moving the camera with WASD.
I've complained about the camera, but not for that reason. I agree with you: WASD is a good way to move camera in a cursor-heavy game.
What I don't like about the camera is the need to constantly rotate/zoom it to see objects you have to interact with.

LivingOne

Savant
I've played it for a couple of hours,and I quite liked it.

Not much to add in regards to feedback:I agree with has been stated regarding the slight annoyance with the camera and inventory but it's not too bothersome.Combat is fun and encounter design seems solid for early game(best moment was when a toad stole one of my rangers' gun during combat.Hope to see more of this later on:)).Exploration is...better than I expected after seeing the last demo but I wouldn't mind finding more often something more intresting than scrap.I like that there doesn't seem to be too many points to spends.

As for bugs I had the game unable to load past the last step of character creation for a bit,the rest was ok.Loading seems a bit slow.

Last edited:

LivingOne

Savant
Nothing particularly bad but so far it seems a grid would have been a bit more practical.Don`t care much tbh though...

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That certainly looks like a character from a guy whose nickname is Sensuki :-P

All my characters are retarded looking females.

6xEWgNQ.png

Gave this one some generic indian name

nSV2aJ2.png

and this one is called BRUTAL DEATH in caps.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
wIszhUI.jpg

[PERCEPTION] This area looks unfinished.

0vtpwOa.jpg

Meanwhile, my poor solo character couldn't stand the onslaught of cheating Wrekers using a crowbar to fire bullets through buildings.

Why all that talk about how square grid was better for cover mechanics if you're going to place the wall in a diagonal?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I took some screens of it too, just haven't uploaded them to centrecode yet.

2zWQAP3.jpg

Has multiple area transitions that you can't get to.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah found that area also.

If you look around when you are at other random encounter areas you will also notice that they have areas that you cant get to.

Not sure how it works as i have never been able to get to one of the "small" areas on the same map.

Maybe someone have found a way or have been able to spawn at another location?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
lolllllllllll it wasn't just a made-up example, they actually kept
33js6xe.jpg

This is my face right now:
3d017f7ba5a9cd33184a37342b2f7d50839cca41_full.jpg

hiver

According to sea, and this regarding the 20% of the game they made available, there is little to no consequences besides a few key sequences, also reactivity... not so much. but apparently all that will be patched in. +M

Oh,... just great.

Fantastic.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
in combat I wished there were some animations for dodgin attacks, like ducking, jumping, sidesteping or just a wheezing animation because it is kind of lame watching a guy with a crowbar try to hit a giant fucking frog only to miss and see it drift through it without tje frog reacting at all to the near miss
When I used to DM I would always say stuff like "...and the zombie takes a swipe at you, what do you do? Roll the dice" my player would roll the dice and he would say somehting like "I duck down" or "I pull my shield up" I would check my chart and reply with "you are not fast enough and but the zombie claws just graze your arm for slight damage" I would write down in my chart -2 HP from his total and go to the next player.
They used to like that little reaction instead of "the zombie hits for 2 points of damage"...getting kind of nostalgic here now I will stop ;)

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
I haven't encountered any C&C so far (besides the advertised save the X choice). So much for the reactivity.

If there wasnt any reactivity in the quest design to begin with, that is a worry.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
SUP http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/12/12/wasteland-2-comes-to-steam-early-access-tomorrow

Looks like non-backer plebians will have a chance at getting this sooner than expected! Brian Fargo's about to make a cool couple of million.
So Fargo's fucking over everyone who backed Wasteland 2 without springing for the beta, eh?

Also, congratulations people who paid extra specifically to play the beta, you got to do it a day earlier than anyone else. Hope it was worth it.

Sensuki

Arcane
I'd say it's a fair point tbh, I am one of those people :smug:

$25 for one day of beta!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom