Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Monad

Learned
who would think to do a thing like that?
The Kingdoms of Amalur devs, of course, why do you ask? :troll:

BTW: did they really say they're gonna "patch in" reactivity later? Because I find the idea hilarious to say the least.

Well, if by that they mean they will be patching in more content later, that makes sense. This is only a small portion of the full game.

Can we all agree that armor is completly broken ATM?

How does the armor system work? I tried googling, but all I could find in the wasteland 2 wiki was that each point of AC shaves off one dice from the damage calc, but I guess that was from w1 (hard to tell in that wiki).

Bitcher1

Cipher
Well, if by that they mean they will be patching in more content later, that makes sense. This is only a small portion of the full game.
I dunno man. If you can currently play the game without the "reactive" elements with the quests nevertheless retaining coherence then I have problems fathoming how those elements can be more than cosmetic really. Unless it's obvious now that in some places you're meant to make a choice but there's only one option available at this time. Is it so?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I've found 4 types of armor so far, one of them extremely expensive ($5000), but they all give 10 AC. From what I'm seeing, it's a straight damage reduction, so you subtract 10 from any hit you take... except for melee enemies with axes, or critical hits from guns, you'll always get 0 damage. Seriously, you can solo Ag. Center with a melee character on Hard if you have an armor. And they are easy to find on the map, and the guy on the Ag. Center sells them as well...

Monad

Learned
I dunno man. If you can currently play the game without the "reactive" elements with the quests nevertheless retaining coherence then I have problems fathoming how those elements can be more than cosmetic really. Unless it's obvious now that in some places you're meant to make a choice but there's only one option available at this time. Is it so?

I think it's possible that these quests will look significantly different in the full version of the game given that this is a beta version of the game. However, I haven't really participated in many betas so I don't know how much the beta version represents the retail version in all aspects.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here is sea's post from the old thread:

Are those C&C written but just not implemented yet? Sea, were any new choices added with new patches in beta?
I do know many of my suggestions with respect to gameplay tweaks, small dialogue updates and fixes, character stats, difficulty, quest options, etc. were implemented, and I'm sure the same is true of the other suggestions given by whoever else was involved in the pre-beta.

My opinion time: The thing with content generation is that it is a lot slower inside the realm of an organized development studio than "just add some more stuff" would suggest. If bugs can get replicated they can get fixed super fast. Content has all sorts of people involved - programmers, designers, writers and possibly artists too. It also has to be tested, even in a beta environment, to make sure it doesn't break anything. That means C&C tends to take substantially more time than tweaks and fixes do to implement. Remember, it's only been two weeks since they even got any outside feedback from anyone.

Sounds to me like inXile are bad planners.
Significant C&C story/structural stuff is already implemented and was certainly planned months in advance. There is one major piece of C&C in the beta already, which is on a scale that most games do not do. The issue that exists right now, in my opinion, is that there aren't enough things like follow-up side-quests to decisions are made, or enough bits of flavor dialogue; it's missing a lot of those little things that follow you around as you play.

More of my opinion time: You tend not to notice a lot of that stuff, especially in your own work, until you have the time to sit back and enjoy it as a player would, or get someone else to give hands-on time and start interrogating it. I had the same issue with Thirst despite having a really good sense of the C&C on a larger scale throughout its development; the smaller bits and pieces of reactivity that add up to create real immersion only happened as I played more and more and found myself asking logical questions like "why can't X happen?" or "hey, Y character would be great for this role instead if he/she survived earlier." In other words, I think very little of that can be blamed on a lack of planning, unless you are positing to sit back and have a game 100% finished design-wise before production ever starts - which is not very efficient.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BRO TIP: Do not use those 3D models custom portraits... after a while they'll bug out, became white and the game doesn't save anymore. :cry:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
So, yeah, I basically paid 55$ for something that I could buy tomorrow for 20 bucks. That's classy. You know why I backed? Because I thought, ah, let's not pirate this one! Let's actually pay! And now that. Fuck off.
Really? I paid $500 for the chance to actually "kickstart" a new cRPG Renaissance. I wanted to help usher in this new era so in the future we would get more actual cRPGs that were/will be/are :incline: (P:E, AoD, D:OS, DS, etc.) rather than the typical AAA :decline: we've gotten for over a DECADE! I was (and still am) investing in the future of "old school" games I actually want to play. Man, the entitlement generation really makes me go... :rpgcodex:
Congratulations on having a lot of disposable income.

poetic codex

Augur
does anyone else get that savegame corruption bug where it stays stuck on the loading screen? The counter keeps going up indefinitely but the save game never loads. Just want to make sure it's not just me.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BRO TIP: Do not use those 3D models custom portraits... after a while they'll bug out, became white and the game doesn't save anymore. :cry:
This also happened to me with imported custom portraits.

You're fucking kidding me right ?
So because I choose hardest difficulty and combat skills, combat should be a push over?
Hey, I missed the part where you chose hardest difficulty. That's too bad.

But yes, if you build a team of combat monsters who can't tie their shoes, combat will be easy for you and shoe tying will be hard. That's how RPGs work.

Why is it when people become mods for something they become so apologetic
I was rationalizing the shortcomings of this game long before I became a mod. :obviously:

does anyone else get that savegame corruption bug where it stays stuck on the loading screen? The counter keeps going up indefinitely but the save game never loads. Just want to make sure it's not just me.
Yeah. A lot of people on the official forum are reporting this. I got it as well. The whole save system is pretty much fucked apparently.

Last edited:

imweasel

I am enjoying the game, but they really need to get it running at a decent frame rate, the input lag is very annoying. This should be their first priority.

The character and inventory screens really need a work-over too. They are quite fugly.

WASD to pan the camera
QE to rotate the camera
mousewheel to zoom
Really? Can you pan the camera with MMB at least?
No, MMB is used to rotate the camera too.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Couldn't play this decently because the game gets below 10 FPS whenever I enter the inventory/appareance screen, seriosuly, how do those crappy models get everything to run so slowly?
Different hardware performs differently, and the game hasn't been optimized much at all as has been stated about a thousand times so far. You'd be amazed how poorly games tend to run without proper driver optimizations, too.

EDIT: New patch today. Wonder if we'll get notes. :3

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
Couldn't play this decently because the game gets below 10 FPS whenever I enter the inventory/appareance screen, seriosuly, how do those crappy models get everything to run so slowly?
Different hardware performs differently, and the game hasn't been optimized much at all as has been stated about a thousand times so far. You'd be amazed how poorly games tend to run without proper driver optimizations, too.

Yep I know but it just seemed kinda strange that most of my problems came from that single screen, though lack of optimization can do amazing things apparently so yeah, hopefully it will get fixed in a few days and it will be playable.

Btw, I really liked level design in the two areas I got to visit, though I am really gonna miss the vent ducts from Underrail, damn.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
I am enjoying the game, but they really need to get it running at a decent frame rate, the input lag is very annoying. This should be their first priority.

Performance and optimization are definitely top priorities right now. One of the benefits of the early beta is that we get performance information from hundreds of people, which helps us identify a lot of things much faster.

The game can run perfectly well on one 3-5 year old system and terribly on another. The backer's systems that most match the ones in our office, or the ones we had performance tests run on at an external contractor, will experience the best performance in the early stages.

Elthosian

Arcane

Performance and optimization are definitely top priorities right now. One of the benefits of the early beta is that we get performance information from hundreds of people, which helps us identify a lot of things much faster.

The game can run perfectly well on one 3-5 year old system and terribly on another. The backer's systems that most match the ones in our office, or the ones we had performance tests run on at an external contractor, will experience the best performance in the early stages.

Hey MLMarkland, any plans to get bigger fonts into the game soon? Aside from framerate that was my biggest gripe with the beta, I ended up with quite a headache after only one hour of gameplay due to it, and some other people have reported the same, too.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Hey MLMarkland, any plans to get bigger fonts into the game soon? Aside from framerate that was my biggest gripe with the beta, I ended up with quite a headache after only one hour of gameplay due to it, and some other people have reported the same, too.

On what resolution are you playing? Have you marked the option for bigger fonts in the options menu?

eremita

Savant
Woooo, I hope you old-timers upgraded your shit since Arcanum release... :kfc:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Quick impressions from last night:

1. The inventory especially, but really the entire UI. It look's like crap, non functional and has an unacceptable amount of unnecessary/unintuitive over design added;

2. The World map, same as above, horrible mess from top to bottom, the entire design should be scraped in favor of a 2D map;

3. The performance, so far Unity games have made their best efforts to melt down my computer (which is plenty powerful to play most games released these days at high settings), the optimization is non existent, and should be one of the biggest focuses during this beta;

4. C&C and overall reactivity, it's apparently non-existent for the most part. The claim that this would be their focus, where all the effort was going into, is backfiring here, even at this stage (beta), and having everything planned down from the start, we should be seeing more of the writing, choices and consequences of our actions at a basic level;

5. Combat is fun, not as deep as ToEE or JA2 but enough for a challenge (although it needs much work balance wise, everything from ammo management to armor values need to be tweaked);

6. Health regen... :decline:

8. Overall game aesthetic, graphics and art design, it's passable, not something i usually take much notice of, in terms of consistency its not as "polished" as AoD for example, but it's good enough not to brake immersion;

9. I like the dialog system, i really do. Nice implementation of a keyword system, reminds me of Morrowind;

10. I want to see skill checks at every other dialog, AoD really spoiled me on this regard;

In terms of suggestions, apart from the need to greatly improve C&C and reactivity, i would say the biggest area in need to adjustment (in terms of balance) is player survivability and economy, specifically:

1. Removal of the health regen mechanic;

2. Make healing resources more valuable, i.e more expensive at stores and mainly available trough crafting. Also make the inventory management a more important factor for healing items;

3. Make ammo more scarce, more valuable, more expensive at stores and something that should be managed very carefully.

4. Rebalance encounters to translate that ammo scarcity, by focusing on melee for low level encounters and having only high level/important enemy characters have access to plenty of ammo to justify the use of guns. Also make the enemy run out of ammo a factor to take into consideration;

5. Add options for the player to use this ammo rarity factor into his/her interaction with enemies and the world. Enemies should not know you dont have ammo on the big gun you are walking around with, the threat of the gun alone should add something to encounters. So for example you can bluff your way through melee guards, or add a penalty to morale for melee characters who start an engagement with heavily armed rangers;

Well, thats enough for initial impressions.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I am sorely aggrieved to see multiple Codexians citing a lack of C&C. The game's been in development for twenty months, and if C&C is thin on the ground at the eleventh hour, I doubt it will be improved much before 1.0. "It's a beta" only goes but so far.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what the limitations of the beta are, and the opinions of a handful of people aren't really enough to judge one way or the other.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am sorely aggrieved to see multiple Codexians citing a lack of C&C. The game's been in development for twenty months, and if C&C is thin on the ground at the eleventh hour, I doubt it will be improved much before 1.0. "It's a beta" only goes but so far.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what the limitations of the beta are, and the opinions of a handful of people aren't really enough to judge one way or the other.

It's been suggested to me that the reactivity, while not as extensive as it could be, is not quite as "non-existent" as appears on first glance. Multiple playthroughs, with actions performed in various orders, may be necessary to appreciate the full depth of it.

Rake

Arcane
What i don't like from what i here is that i get a Fallout Tactics vibe. Combat the best part, quest design and C&C weak?
I was excited for that game exactly for it's quest design and C&C hype, and that's what made the Fallout's good. :(
I give a shit for combat only when all the other aspects are good.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

It's been suggested to me that the reactivity, while not as extensive as it could be, is not quite as "non-existent" as appears on first glance. Multiple playthroughs, with actions performed in various orders, may be necessary to appreciate the full depth of it.

Hopefully it is so, i did mention it was my initial impression. The beta will be here long enough for multiple playthroughs, my second one will be specifically an "opposite decision" of every action/choice i did in my first one (if such a thing is possible) to see how much the world reacts differently.

What i'm missing is more quest and character interaction depth, on that regard they still have a lot of work to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom