Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, whatever there's been said about actual rpg gameplay seem to point to there being very little reactivity. Also I note a distinct lack of cheerfullness about there being lots of interesting quests and the like. Either that or the people playing and reporting here only care about camera movements and character portraits?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also I note a distinct lack of cheerfullness about there being lots of interesting quests and the like.
The quests... are just there. You see that they were trying, and it's not a bunch of fedex shit or something lame like that, but they really are nothing special. The plot is okay, but honestly the previews that Fargo did on the factions already tells you who you're dealing with, so the big mystery is more or less revealed already...

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, yeah, I basically paid 55$ for something that I could buy tomorrow for 20 bucks. That's classy. You know why I backed? Because I thought, ah, let's not pirate this one! Let's actually pay! And now that. Fuck off.
Really? I paid $500 for the chance to actually "kickstart" a new cRPG Renaissance. I wanted to help usher in this new era so in the future we would get more actual cRPGs that were/will be/are :incline: (P:E, AoD, D:OS, DS, etc.) rather than the typical AAA :decline: we've gotten for over a DECADE! I was (and still am) investing in the future of "old school" games I actually want to play. Man, the entitlement generation really makes me go... :rpgcodex:
Congratulations on having a lot of disposable income.

Really doesn't matter if one pledged $20 or $10,000. The whole point of Kickstarting this game was to try and bring back the type of games we played and enjoyed that aren't made anymore. It was not about pre-order exclusives, limited beta exclusives or even the physical stuff (I know, I'm shocked I even said that!) but about the vision of future cRPGs. Whining about the beta being accessible to everyone (which will help make the game better) is what I mean about people feeling entitled.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Also I note a distinct lack of cheerfullness about there being lots of interesting quests and the like.
The quests... are just there. You see that they were trying, and it's not a bunch of fedex shit or something lame like that, but they really are nothing special. The plot is okay, but honestly the previews that Fargo did on the factions already tells you who you're dealing with, so the big mystery is more or less revealed already...

Thanks. Well, that's depressing. Interesting questlines are a bloody must for any rpg in my book. Vampire, Torment, Arcanum and, indeed, Fallout are rpg classics partly because they have those.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
What is wrong with slow health regen? It is not something like dragon age where our party got fully healed after every battle.
They just need to take out some healing items (hoards much more easly than stimpaks in FO) and let main healing source be skills.

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
Whining about the beta being accessible to everyone (which will help make the game better)
Will it though? As it made Blackguards good? Releasing the beta to the backers that paid for the game's creation and by default are people who like the type of game is good. Their feedback will be more or less usefull.
The feedback of every random Skyrim fan? Not so much. And i don't trust Fargo to pull a VD and say "you are not part of my target audience, fuck off" to every steamtard out there.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
If you look around when you are at other random encounter areas you will also notice that they have areas that you cant get to.
because they use the same map for multiple encounters. the first map (the broken highway with a lot of car wrecks) is broken up in two big and one small area. the small area is used for a merchant encounter, the big ones have (so far) three different bandits encounters: bandits attacking, bandits attacking you and a mob of survivors, bandits and survivors dead.
what's wierd is that they put containers in the two bandit encounter areas and you can only loot those once since afterwards they stay open...... not sure if that is intended

skyst

Augur
What is wrong with slow health regen? It is not something like dragon age where our party got fully healed after every battle.
They just need to take out some healing items (hoards much more easly than stimpaks in FO) and let main healing source be skills.

The issue is that the health regen is disturbingly quick. My party entered the Rail Nomads encampment at ~35% health after walking through miles of severe radiation and mostly healed back to full health before I could do a full sweep of the town. It's like my rangers have super mutant healing powers. Also of note, no further consequences for nearly dying to the rads (I could have missed something)? No sixth toe?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whining about the beta being accessible to everyone (which will help make the game better)
Will it though? As it made Blackguards good? Releasing the beta to the backers that paid for the game's creation and by default are people who like the type of game is good. Their feedback will be more or less usefull.
The feedback of every random Skyrim fan? Not so much. And i don't trust Fargo to pull a VD and say "you are not part of my target audience, fuck off" to every steamtard out there.
I'm hopeful. Looking over the past 18 months of people bitching on the forums, I haven't seen inXile really change anything non-superficial. They've listened and responded to stuff like UI design and the options menu, but no core gameplay systems have been changed that I can think of because of fan bitching. Fargo may not be as blunt about it as VD is, but I really don't think he cares about the dumb people.

uaciaut

Augur
Really doesn't matter if one pledged $20 or $10,000. The whole point of Kickstarting this game was to try and bring back the type of games we played and enjoyed that aren't made anymore. It was not about pre-order exclusives, limited beta exclusives or even the physical stuff (I know, I'm shocked I even said that!) but about the vision of future cRPGs. Whining about the beta being accessible to everyone (which will help make the game better) is what I mean about people feeling entitled.

Noble of you but that is your opinion. While i would have donated anyway to these kickstarters i'm donating specific ammounts because i DO want the rewards corresponding for said ammounts and if kickstarter was a service that thrived on donations without any rewards there would be no rewards in the first place.

So your take on the matter doesn't have to be everyone else's and if i had donated enough for a beta access specifically because i wanted it then the news of beta being made public at potentially lower costs would have pissed me off too. Fortunately Fargo isn't retarded or a douchebag and that's not the case.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
MLMarkland I wish you guys will rethink the whole health regen thing. I mean, it has place when you do dedicated resting, or if it's for the overworld only and uses water or something.. But just having it regen while walking around isn't the smartest design choice.

hiver

Shrug. Seems like if you dump all skill points into combat, then combat will be easy. That's your choice, not the fault of the game.
:lol:
True moderator materiel.
Youve got your head so far up your loverboy beekers and company ass that its starting to look like a brown motorcycle helmet.

/
anyway, seems that actually... all i said (however harshly) is right, so far? damn, even i didnt really expect such level of accuracy.

Inventory sucks donkey ass you say? Who would have thunk it? Lists are horrible shit eh? Damn...
And no C&C and reactivity? It was all just empty hype? and health regen!?

:hmmm:

:hearnoevil:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Biggest complaint so far, I HATE the loot system. I'm saying this after 14 hs of game and completing Highpool (both versions), Ag. Center and the Rail Nomads; playing solo, duo and with a full party, always on Ranger (hard).

I mentioned this on the other thread, but is the biggest problem of the game so far for me. I wish for hand-placed loot, but I get that random is easier and increase replayability, but the way it's now is just lazy. There's only one loot table, that every goddamn loot container in the game shares. Unless it's part of a quest, every chest/safe/dirt pile in the game will give you a combination of these: 1 blood pack/painkiller / 1-10 entry level ammo (no sniper) / 1-10 scraps / *nothing*. That's it, seriously, on ALL OF THEM.

Dig a pile of dirt on the first area, you get that. Six hours later, after finishing Ag. Center and returning to get previously unreachable containers, you'll get the same shit. To "solve" this and reward the player more, they took the laziest route possible and just placed 4-5 containers in hard-to reach areas. So by being "clever" and using skills to reach a off-path area wields you this:

GJhOnOB.jpg

Fucking 4-5 containers with the same shitty loot, that you have to send someone to unlock and collect. Unlock safe (40% chance), get two 12ga bullets, unlock next safe, get three 9mm bullets... is lame, annoying to wait for a character to open all of them, and even more, it's fucking boring. This should be a "reward", it should be just 1-2 containers (one open, one locked) with better loot; a bigger stash of ammo, a expensive item, maybe a gun or even just the equivalent of those 4-5 containers in one, so you can open it and for once feel you find something decent.

The way it's now, it kills any will to even open them. Why waste like 2 minutes trying to open a safe, is you know you'll only get like 3 bullets? And I doubt this is a beta issue; no way they added a lot of containers just for the beta and will remove them and re-balance the loot for the full release. This must be fought, nau!

Gord

Arcane

Noble of you but that is your opinion. While i would have donated anyway to these kickstarters i'm donating specific ammounts because i DO want the rewards corresponding for said ammounts and if kickstarter was a service that thrived on donations without any rewards there would be no rewards in the first place.

I guess we should wait until the pricing for the Early Access version is revealed (still might be in the 50$), but personally I could kinda understand backers that payed extra for beta getting upset if people buying it at Early Access get it substantially cheaper.
Of course, some people just back to see the game being made and don't care about rewards, but other people do nd backed specifically for a certain tier.
Should they make EA (lol, EA, see what I did there :M ) cheaper than Beta-KS tier, then they might seriously consider going the Larian route and offer optional refunds.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah there is a lot of popamole, as much as I hate to say it. I hope Codexia in general manages to convince inXile to lose most of it, but looks like a lot of these devs have been playing too many mainstream games and forgotten where their country is.

:rpgcodex:

People are throwing around excuses left right and center - it's a beta, blah blah - but nothing excuses half of the design decisions that are present in the game so far.

The stuff I think that is good is mostly not design related - music, writing (as in the actual quality of sentences, dialogs etc), atmosphere. Some stuff is on the right track, but needs a little steering. I don't mind the dialogue system actually but the original UI for it was the best.

I still am enjoying it but my complaints are rooted in the fact that this could be SO much better.

I have been submitting bugs and suggestions, but I have a feeling that if a certain dev reads them they'll be tossed in the bin ;)

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't think that it includes container loot... there are enemies that don't drop loot, and the value of stuff is weird, but I'd say the loot tables are as intended. Especially because of the 4-5 containers everywhere. The areas are clearly made for many containers, so they won't remove them and leave just one. And if they change the loot tables without removing the containers, you would get too much loot.

Besides, if you take that KS update by heart you won't report anything, because everything is being "worked on"...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Besides, if you take that KS update by heart you won't report anything, because everything is being "worked on"...

Far from it. Everything should be reported regardless of that update. Just saying nothing's set in stone. Removing containers with random items is hardly a lot of work.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Being "worked on" is no reason not to report it, because especially on points we know the game's not too strong (like the inventory UI) or unfinished (balance) it's good to get feedback with solid points on how to improve it (like armor being wonky right now, which makes agcenter so much easier than highpool). Your point is a good one so definitely put it in CenterCode if you haven't already. I'm fairly certain loot tables are part of the overall world economy balance, including the fact that every container is on one loot table, so that's not necessarily representative of the final product, but if you want to push for more usage of static loot along with randomized for choice containers then by all means.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Just rename this thread to 'Wasteland 2 butthurt thread' to get some actual feedback on it.

Removing containers with random items is hardly a lot of work.

Maybe the reason for the amount of locked containers is that it's their way of making the non-deterministic skill checks "work" (one 20% lockpick chance every now and then is doable, 5 in the same location becomes a real hassle)?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So far the containers feel like a gamist system used as a backup so people don't end up without consumables. Out of ammo? Hey, just go and hunt for some barrels.

skyst

Augur
The stuff I think that is good is mostly not design related - music, writing (as in the actual quality of sentences, dialogs etc), atmosphere. Some stuff is on the right track, but needs a little steering. I don't mind the dialogue system actually but the original UI for it was the best.

I would be interested to hear what more people thought about the writing - I didn't really care for it. I find that all of the characters I have encountered so far (have not finished a playthrough yet) have a very similar way of speaking that doesn't do much to differentiate them. Also, the descriptive text feels very blatant and uninteresting to me. Good writers show, not tell... WL2's writing, so far, feels the opposite. Expeditions: Conquistador, despite it's flaws, has some of the best writing in gaming that I have found lately; the way they describe characters and situations is top notch and you end up feeling like you really understand some of the NPCs and their motives without it being shoved down your throat.

imweasel

1. The inventory especially, but really the entire UI. It look's like crap, non functional and has an unacceptable amount of unnecessary/unintuitive over design added;
2. The World map, same as above, horrible mess from top to bottom, the entire design should be scraped in favor of a 2D map;
6. Health regen... :decline:
The HUD is ok, but the UI is pretty bad and should be replaced.
I like the map. It's looks nice and it works. I can't see anything wrong with it with it either.
I'm playing on ranger difficulty, and health regenerates very, very slowly, i.e. 1-2 HP every two or three minutes. The benefit is practically non-existant, but it would probably be better to remove it anyway (on ranger difficulty at least).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom