Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Combat improvements I just suggested on centercode:

Another beta tester had an idea for increased cover that I thought was really good. Accuracy should be decreased if you are trying to shoot through other people/animals/robots/targets.

In addition to that idea, I think ranged accuracy should be decreased if an enemy is adjacent to you. Right now there is no down side to letting an angry sucker with a giant lead pipe bash on your sniper other than his health going down. With a penalty to hit from having an enemy right next to you it would really increase tactical decisions. Do I try to shoot him point black with the lower accuracy, or move away and shoot him (maybe losing attack in the process)? Do I use my melee guy to clear off my ranged guys, or do I rush their ranged guys? There's probably more I'm not thinking of.

Another thing I would like to see is a penalty to accuracy if you've moved on the same turn. This would synergize with the above suggestion. It would also mean snipers are less over powered. Right now their penalty to close combat is pretty easy to overcome, but if they had a lesser penalty for moving, it would again make tactical decisions more interesting.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
They should really look at what made Fallout 1 + 2 great combined and then just expand on those mechanics and functionalities for WL2..

Fallout 1 + 2 top RPG EVER ! :)

Did so much right.

Fargo said
For logistical reasons we turned the beta "add-on" off in the store but we'll look into re-instating it for a time for our backers.

so now we know why was that change.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there ANY reason why target fire is not in the combat in this game ???
Yep. In Fallout it just became a game of "shoot the eyes every single time" because why wouldn't you? It's essentially a fluff mechanic. In Wasteland and Wasteland 2 the assumption is that you always want to make the most lethal shot possible; it's abstracted a little more, but requires less user input for the same result.

Tigranes

Arcane
You didn't shoot for the eyes every time unless you always played a Gifted High PER Small Guns character with a Gauss Rifle. See AOD for various targeted attacks done right.

I want to reserve my opinion until I play through the whole thing, but after a few hours I'm increasingly thinking that WL2 in its current state is meh in every major area. Hope it changes my mind.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another thing I would like to see is a penalty to accuracy if you've moved on the same turn. This would synergize with the above suggestion. It would also mean snipers are less over powered. Right now their penalty to close combat is pretty easy to overcome, but if they had a lesser penalty for moving, it would again make tactical decisions more interesting.
It's been a while since I played, but I seem to remember Underrail having something like this and the penalties are different for each weapon type (slight for pistols, major for sniper rifles). It really makes a big difference in how you use the weapons.

In fallout, when You are in Hub and try to take down that single Deathclaw with w quite low level character, shooting in legs to disable them, and them finishing him off while running seems like a better strategy than shooting in the eyes. But I think it is the only place in the whole game that strays from shoot in the eyes tactic.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The combat doesn't even feature skill-shots, knocking people unconcious, or so... man... Playing fallout 1 + 2 again makes me realize how perfect a game those were for it's time and still is..

fucking solid. Recopy what Fallout 1 + 2 did right and expand, throw out the things that didn't work, and then input wasteland 2 quest + lore and C&C..

Done.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yep. In Fallout it just became a game of "shoot the eyes every single time" because why wouldn't you?

Why shouldn't you is not a valid reason for not having it.
How about for example making it much harder to go for vital parts than it was in Fallout?

And what this guy said:
You didn't shoot for the eyes every time unless you always played a Gifted High PER Small Guns character with a Gauss Rifle.

...sorta. Because it was much easier to always go for the eyes than how he makes it sound.
Also you could get Fast Shot which meant no targeting at all.

It's broken let's remove it is popamole next-gen design. Not that W2 should necessarily have it, just this motivation always makes me rage.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
FWIW Zombra was the guy saying that if you make a competent character then combat should be easy a few pages ago, so I'm not surprised he said that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Problem with that is that if you have a 10-point scale things might be too finicky with respect to player skill level vs. container level.
And why is that a problem? Speech checks are already like that. Either you have 2 Hardass/Kissass skill, or you don't get the awesome pistol at the start (unless you "cheat" and just type the word on the skill check - silly beta).

felipepepe out of curiosity are you reporting your thoughts using the Centre form or on their official forum? I'm too lazy to do that and you seem to really know what bothers you and why...I think it could do some good.
Yes, I am. I'm playing with a notepad besides me, and everything I find weird/bad/wrong/not to my exquisite tastes I'm reporting.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Is there ANY reason why target fire is not in the combat in this game ???
Yep. In Fallout it just became a game of "shoot the eyes every single time" because why wouldn't you? It's essentially a fluff mechanic. In Wasteland and Wasteland 2 the assumption is that you always want to make the most lethal shot possible; it's abstracted a little more, but requires less user input for the same result.

Going for the eyes should have an added catch.. Like if you want a surefire hit.. aim for the torso.. Fallout was bugged, because aiming for the eyes was just as easy hitting as the rest of the body.. (at high enough stats)... Tweak WL2 so that making targeted hits have an added risk.. but also a reward should it pay off... it's a calculated risk.. it shouldn't be something you do every time in firefights, but sometimes.. even as a high range, awareness type of ranger.

No penalty for moving and shooting on the same turn seems completely :retarded:
Why should there be a penalty?

Kiting faggotry.

In fallout, when You are in Hub and try to take down that single Deathclaw with w quite low level character, shooting in legs to disable them, and them finishing him off while running seems like a better strategy than shooting in the eyes. But I think it is the only place in the whole game that strays from shoot in the eyes tactic.

WhiteGuts

Arcane

Not for me. I think that's a fair cost of admission, considering backers had to pay almost that much for beta access. I missed the original KS but added WL2 beta access to my Torment pledge, so I'm satisfied.

Yeah that's why I said I understand it. But still, they're fgts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom