Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wat, seriously? Sixty American USD Dollars ? I assume the finished game will cost less than this, so why are they selling the bug ridden demo for such an exorbitant price? Is this common practice for Early Access games?
Well, backers who pledged 18 months ago paid $55 for "early beta access". It would be kind of a kick in the teeth to them if Joe Pinchpenny got the same product one day later for a lower price.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
#3 best seller.

Wat, seriously? Sixty American USD Dollars ? I assume the finished game will cost less than this, so why are they selling the bug ridden demo for such an exorbitant price? Is this common practice for Early Access games?

Backers had to pay at least $55 to get beta access and they don't want to screw their backers, it's as simple as that.

As much as $55. You could get the beta cheap with a $15 tier + $20 beta addon = $35.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eh. So we can abstract a guy making two nonsimultaneous overhand swings with a sledgehammer, but we can't abstract a guy taking two steps and then aiming and firing a pistol? That seems like changing the model to fit your desired outcome.
The whole thing is an abstraction. Sometimes it means one thing, sometimes it means another. Certain things are happening simultaneously.

As for the gameplay argument, re: interesting choices, that does hold water to a point, but it kind of sucks in a variable AP system. If Character A has 3 AP and fires his pistol for 3AP, and Character B has 5 AP and wants to fire his pistol for 3 AP, why should he be penalized for using his other 2 AP to move? This creates a situation where faster characters are, on the average, worse at attacking.
1) Don't spend the extra AP, and he's exactly the same, so that's really not a problem.

2) Move after attacking, and you're fine. With the other proposals I made regarding positioning, you should be able to deduce how this would still be interesting.

Tigranes

Arcane
Used to be mostly fine, now that I've started a new game since the Update it's crashing every 3 minutes, and graphical bugs besides, it's getting unplayable. Are there any general tips for avoiding CTDs?

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The whole thing is an abstraction. Sometimes it means one thing, sometimes it means another. Certain things are happening simultaneously.
So it means whatever the devs intend it to mean? Fine with me. In this case, moving and then firing appears to mean moving and then firing, even if you don't want it to.

As for the gameplay argument, re: interesting choices, that does hold water to a point, but it kind of sucks in a variable AP system.
1) Don't spend the extra AP, and he's exactly the same, so that's really not a problem.
It is a problem if I spent Attribute points on a character to increase his AP to make him be able to do more things, and then I start taking penalties when I do more things.

2) Move after attacking, and you're fine. With the other proposals I made regarding positioning, you should be able to deduce how this would still be interesting.
I didn't see your other proposals yet, but I concede that it could be interesting. I maintain that it is not necessary for an interesting system, and the way it is now isn't some kind of problem.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Re: Eye shots in Fallout/Fallout 2:

Everyone seems enamored with them, but I never bothered. When playing with a min-maxed gun build or the classic diplosniper, I preferred Fast Shot, and my favorite tactic was to unload SMGs into people at point-blank range. This "hurt" me later on in the game when going for the eyes would have been significantly more efficient, but I really didn't give a damn.

It also enabled me to get away with allocating fewer points to gun skills initially.

aratuk

Cipher
IS IT GOOD? Please be good.

It looks like it has the potential to be good, if influenced in the right direction. I'd like to believe it's going to be good when it's done. The beta is kinda fun, but there is a lot missing. I think "alpha" is probably closer to the right description than "beta".

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So it means whatever the devs intend it to mean? Fine with me. In this case, moving and then firing appears to mean moving and then firing, even if you don't want it to.
It means it's ~abstracting~ what's happening, ie it's not a literal representation.

The argument, "I did x, then y" holds no water within the context of a single turn.

It is a problem if I spent Attribute points on a character to increase his AP to make him be able to do more things, and then I start taking penalties when I do more things.
Only certain things. If you have 6 ap, you can shoot twice. Moving and shooting might still be valuable with a penalty. Getting closer could be more advantageous than the penalty is harmful, getting a better firing angle, or finding cover are all useful things. Except..

I didn't see your other proposals yet, but I concede that it could be interesting. I maintain that it is not necessary for an interesting system, and the way it is now isn't some kind of problem.
The system is kind of boring and there's not many tactical decisions to make. For the most part the only thing that matters is attacks per turn, which means that moving and attacking in one turn rarely does anything for you.

My full proposal: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...cess-now-available.88397/page-20#post-3006128

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
1) Don't spend the extra AP

On a sidenote, I'm a bit out of the loop with this matter... Do unspent AP count towards evade - like in Fallout, where unspent AP counted towards AC? As in, is there a benefit to not use AP?

tuluse

Arcane
On a sidenote, I'm a bit out of the loop with this matter... Do unspent AP count towards evade - like in Fallout, where unspent AP counted towards AC? As in, is there a benefit to not use the leftovers?
I don't think they do anything as yet.

Zombra

Patron
Yep. In Fallout it just became a game of "shoot the eyes every single time" because why wouldn't you? It's essentially a fluff mechanic. In Wasteland and Wasteland 2 the assumption is that you always want to make the most lethal shot possible; it's abstracted a little more, but requires less user input for the same result.

That's because eye-shots become ridiculously easy around the second town of the game (if you have less than 100% small guns/melee/unarmed in Junktown/Den you're doing it wrong), and once you get more skill and better, more accurate weaponry, it only gets more ridiculous from there. Many balance mods make eye-shoots HARD, through.

I also remember that when you're sniping lots of enemies from far away, leg shots are awesome, actually a bit too cheesy because some enemies just mill around and stand while being shot if their legs are crippled. Also groin shots are a excellent way to get a knockdown, good way to take a buff and dangerous enemy out of the game for a while until you kill the weaker ones, or to kill a hard-to-hit enemy by knocking him down and whaling on him. Eye shots are not exactly magical, I remember many of my eye shots dealing pathetic damage and no cripple.
So we agree that hit locations can be cheesy and gamebreaking. I'll concede, though, that it is also possible for them to be brilliantly balanced such that they only enhance the depth of the combat system, never hurting it. My answer to that is: Wasteland 2 is already going to have a hard time keeping things balanced and interesting, and adding this now would introduce gigantic headaches for the dev team, QA, and we the testers, and postpone release by god knows how long.

Leaving that argument aside as a practical one and returning strictly to theory, I maintain my other argument: that the game is already complex enough without adding more layers. Remember, the devs have always said that combat is not intended to take hours, so more complexity for the sake of more complexity is not part of the vision. It may be part of a given player's vision of an ideal game, but Wasteland 2 was never intended to be Jagged Alliance 3. I for one don't want to have an extra 3 buttons to click every time I take a shot with each of my 7 characters. I just want to shoot a dangerous dood and make him dead, then move on to the next one. We already have positioning, cover, weapon loadouts, a ton of character variables, weapon types and armor vulnerabilities. It's already way more complex than Wasteland 1. Maybe not complex enough for everyone's tastes, but enough to satisfy old school RPG enthusiasts in my opinion.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
On a sidenote, I'm a bit out of the loop with this matter... Do unspent AP count towards evade - like in Fallout, where unspent AP counted towards AC? As in, is there a benefit to not use the leftovers?
I don't think they do anything as yet.

I'd hope that they'll do, eventually. I've been, out of habit, playing as if they did.

It's first. So we dont have to worry that Fargo will lack money for development. We are on the righ track I think. Does anybody actually know how much money being first on steam can bring per day?

:drink:

Gord

Arcane
Only certain things. If you have 6 ap, you can shoot twice. Moving and shooting might still be valuable with a penalty. Getting closer could be more advantageous than the penalty is harmful, getting a better firing angle, or finding cover are all useful things. Except..

Kinda siding with Zombra here, I could get behind stuff like snap-shot/normal shot/aimed shot costing progressively more, which would be a better way to abstract simultaneously actions in a AP-based system, imho.
Snapshots would allow for relatively much movement, but reduce aim greatly, normal shot would probably leave you with enough AP for some short movement, and aimed shot would take up so much AP that you don't have much left for walking anyway (but give you much better aim, obviously).

The problem with abstraction is that it can go both ways, as Zombra has already pointed out - some actions might make sense to assume that they are happening simultaneously, others not so much. Where do you draw the line?

Zombra

Patron
It means it's ~abstracting~ what's happening, ie it's not a literal representation.
The argument, "I did x, then y" holds no water within the context of a single turn.
I don't get why "I moved, then fired" holds no water, but "I swung a sledgehammer, then swung a sledgehammer " holds a gallon.

tuluse

Arcane
Kinda siding with Zombra here, I could get behind stuff like snap-shot/normal shot/aimed shot costing progressively more, which would be a better way to abstract simultaneously actions in a AP-based system, imho.
Snapshots would allow for relatively much movement, but reduce aim greatly, normal shot would probably leave you with enough AP for some short movement, and aimed shot would take up so much AP that you don't have much left for walking anyway (but give you much better aim, obviously).

The problem with abstraction is that it can go both ways, as Zombra has already pointed out - some actions might make sense to assume that they are happening simultaneously, others not so much. Where do you draw the line?
I draw the line right where it would be more interesting. Which I've explained in detail multiple times now.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Dat ladder climbing animation! Did they hire prosper to do them? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom