Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

set

Cipher
Don't let your rangers ger separated. If battle is initiated while they are, an invisible blue barrier is erected so that your other rangers cannot enter the battle and the game pretty much 'soft locks' if your separated ranger goes unconscious.
Ahaha what
In the Hellhighpool irrigation center, I finished the mission there but didn't clear one pack of radroaches. One of my rangers got separated and aggro'd them while I ordered them to walk to the exit. A blue barrier was erected none of my rangers could walk past while in-combat. The roaches cannot either. Since this ranger was on low health, she went unconscious and I literally could not do anything.

You cannot injure things on the other side of this barrier, all of my ranged weapons were doing 0 damage when they could otherwise 2HKO the roaches. This effectively means anyone trapped in battle has to finish it off. But, if they go unconscious, the roaches will just stand there and you'll have to reload your game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Awesome shit. I guess adding the character to the initiative order when he gets in range of the battle was too much work.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Not really. As far back as May 2012, the devs said that party splitting across levels was probably not going to work. They never said that it would that I know of, and I've been paying attention.
You can split the party between individual buildings etc. within an area, because technically they are all on the same map. Basically like Baldur's Gate. I don't see a point in having everyone in separate areas entirely.

set

Cipher
You can split up parties in a zone, but everyone comes back once you go to the overworld, even unconscious members of the team. The end result is you can have 0 hitpoints rangers walking around, savnig them from dying, if you reach the exit/entrance of an area while they are unconscious.

Seriously what's up with the speech checks? Is it affected by charisma or something so it doesn't work even if you have the level? Or is it just bugged bullshit? Sometimes it works, but a lot of the time I switch to the character with the skill, even back and forth a couple of times to make sure I've got them, no dice.

(Had a hard ass check of 2 and had 3 skill, letters were in green but the box was unclickable.)

Bit of a save issue in the beginning of the game, couldn't save at all until I got to the radio tower or w/e. Other issue is my custom portraits showing up as blank white boxes.(3 out of 4 of them at least.)

Besides those issues I've been enjoying the game, it's not particularly difficult on default setting but I'm still early in; not disappointed so far. Liked that I could use brute force on the locked chests, I assume they were empty because I smashed the items? (Because who would lock an empty chest??)

set

Cipher
If you can't click the box try typing in the response manually.

I've encountered empty unlocked chests, but never an empty locked chested. Brute force must ocassionally destroy things.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can split the party between individual buildings etc. within an area, because technically they are all on the same map. Basically like Baldur's Gate. I don't see a point in having everyone in separate areas entirely.
Right, it's not like you'd ever be faced with a situation where there are two maps demanding immediate attention.

Grim Monk

Arcane
I can't play the Beta, much of the text is so small its :( difficult to read on my 1280 x 1024.

When I try lowering the resolution it gets progressively worse, soon becoming literally illegible.
XYxsxow.jpg

5TXvCFD.jpg

BXcdq0e.jpg

Last edited:

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Reading all the impressions/feedback here makes me wonder what sort of game we'd have gotten if they "only" raised the 1 mill necessary to make the game.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Right, it's not like you'd ever be faced with a situation where there are two maps demanding immediate attention.
:troll:

Still, there's a good argument that a party of two couldn't succeed in those situations, or manage travel across the map split up that way, and you'd need to reach for all sorts of contrivances for explaining the passage of time/the way actions play out simultaneously/etc. to justify it. Might as well complain how you can't send Myron to New Reno to handle some business for you in Fallout 2.

You can split up parties in a zone, but everyone comes back once you go to the overworld, even unconscious members of the team. The end result is you can have 0 hitpoints rangers walking around, savnig them from dying, if you reach the exit/entrance of an area while they are unconscious.
Pretty sure that's a bug, I got that too. Though overall I think the way radiation works is gonna get changed at some point so that stuff doesn't happen anyway.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seriously what's up with the speech checks? Is it affected by charisma or something so it doesn't work even if you have the level? Or is it just bugged bullshit? Sometimes it works, but a lot of the time I switch to the character with the skill, even back and forth a couple of times to make sure I've got them, no dice.
It's bugged bullshit. I've found that you have to initiate conversation with the character who has the appropriate skill; otherwise it won't work. But set's solution above (typing the keyword instead of trying to click it) may work too.

Besides those issues I've been enjoying the game, it's not particularly difficult on default setting but I'm still early in; not disappointed so far. Liked that I could use brute force on the locked chests, I assume they were empty because I smashed the items? (Because who would lock an empty chest??)
I've been finding empty chests everywhere. I think it's random.

Thank You Brother None for bringing so detailed and vital feedback. I d brofist You if I could. In fact, when I have that possibility I will return to this post and brofist it!
You know BN is an InXile PR agent, right.

So did he lied with his example in the spoilers or did he not? If yes, he deserves a lynch, if not then bearing in mind that it was clearly said that C&C will be further improved, it looks that it will be a very strong point of W2.

set

Cipher
Reading all the impressions/feedback here makes me wonder what sort of game we'd have gotten if they "only" raised the 1 mill necessary to make the game.
Can you imagine DF's adventure game with 400k?
SRR with 750k?

I actually think the games would have been better, because we would have had one guy doing all the work. No wasted effort on stupid shit like voice acting and grafix.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:troll:

Still, there's a good argument that a party of two couldn't succeed in those situations, or manage travel across the map split up that way, and you'd need to reach for all sorts of contrivances for explaining the passage of time/the way actions play out simultaneously/etc. to justify it. Might as well complain how you can't send Myron to New Reno to handle some business for you in Fallout 2.

Pretty sure that's a bug, I got that too. Though overall I think the way radiation works is gonna get changed at some point so that stuff doesn't happen anyway.
I'm fine with the design decision. Yes, it would have got super complicated to manage multiple parties and is probably out of the scope for a 3 million dollar budget.

Still, it's pretty obvious why a player might want to try.

bonescraper

I actually think the games would have been better, because we would have had one guy doing all the work. No wasted effort on stupid shit like voice acting and grafix.
I prefer my games with "grafix", thank you. Text adventures are too 80's even for me. And fuck, i love the 80's.

set

Cipher
I honestly don't get why it's out of scope. The only reason it shouldn't be possible is the loading that would go on when you switch parties. But that could have been rectified by using a lighter engine with... sprites. Goddamit, what is with developers and hating sprites?

set

Cipher
I prefer my games with "grafix", thank you. Text adventures are too 80's even for me. And fuck, i love the 80's.

Text adventures can have way more complex mechanics because not everything has to be represented with expensive triangles. Are you sure you like games?

It's bugged bullshit. I've found that you have to initiate conversation with the character who has the appropriate skill; otherwise it won't work. But set's solution above (typing the keyword instead of trying to click it) may work too.
I've been finding empty chests everywhere. I think it's random.
I'll try that solution, otherwise it's kind of annoying to have to use the character to initiate dialogue, if it's just a bug it's no big deal, better than it being a concious design choice.
Blah, empty chests are fucking stupid, in what world does anyone lock- whatever, i hope they fix that. I actually thought it might be a clever mechanic that balances out brute force to picklocking. I'm pretty sure I read that that was the case..
Also you folks getting second hand impressions should play the game, the crowd aint always right, a lot of people have unrealistic expectations and may or may not be over emotional. The game is good, at least a hell of a lot better than other unnamed turn based kickstarters. Bugs are bugs, there's a beta for a reason, derp.

Anyone know what the leadership skill does btw?

Are you sure you like games?
Maybe he likes video games.

bonescraper

Text adventures can have way more complex mechanics because not everything has to be represented with expensive triangles. Are you sure you like games?
You got me there, pal. I actually hate games, i'm just here to troll y'all.

Lhynn

Arcane
Something simpler, probably really pretty, and about 6 hours long.
waitasecond... we already got that

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I honestly don't get why it's out of scope. The only reason it shouldn't be possible is the loading that would go on when you switch parties. But that could have been rectified by using a lighter engine with... sprites. Goddamit, what is with developers and hating sprites?
I don't think the graphics quality has anything to do with that. You'd probably need load screens with better graphics, but the real challenge is keeping all that game logic, AI, time passage, locations and states of characters and objects, etc. consistent across any arbitrary number of locations. Shit's crazy complicated no matter what engine you are using.

Plus, if you have a game where there is some semblance of story/narrative/continuity and scriped encounters, well, the potential for breaking stuff is extremely high. And let's not even try to think about stuff like how the game would handle passage of time in and out of combat across multiple areas.

I can't play the Beta, much of the text is so small its :( difficult to read on my 1280 x 1024.
It's because the game scales certain UI elements based on resolution, including fonts. I think it needs to go with like 2-3 different sized UIs with fonts and assets that adjust to the closest option depending on resolution, while remaining fixed per-pixel (like most other games... dunno, could be a Unity thing).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I honestly don't get why [mulitple parties on multiple maps is] out of scope.
Eh, I think that just makes it sort of a different kind of game. Even though they had this in Wasteland 1, it wasn't really good for anything. W2 isn't supposed to be JA3. And just throwing it in to throw it in would be a huge investment of resources ... for what?

Blah, empty chests are fucking stupid, in what world does anyone lock- whatever, i hope they fix that.
I lock stuff in real life even when there's nothing in it. Like my locker at work, I take my bag out and lock it before going home. But I'm not disagreeing with your annoyance :)

Anyone know what the leadership skill does btw?
It's supposed to give some kind of buff to allied characters standing near the Leader in question. That's all I know.

I really liked that highpool encounter,
where the native woman is in the cage, and they had the balls to add real racism that isn't directed towards mutants or some shit. Very satisfying to have my indian ranger slaughter the lot of them, I liked that, despite being an obvious moral choice there was still some consequence. Namely the whole town turning hostile(including the lift operator ), aka the folks you came here to save. Old habits die hard when it comes to highpool lol, good riddance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom