Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Maybe there's a bug here, but you're not supposed to be able to recruit Vultures-Cry without getting rid of the juvies. I don't think anyone stops you if you unlock the gate, though the security chief confronts you about it later (or should).

Love the bunnies
It's definitely a bug then, I was able to unlock it with no consequences whatsoever, I'm a bit glad that it isn't supposed to be that simple, as I prefer the more violent approach :P. And no, I wasn't confronted by anyone at any point afterwords, I still had the option to give them the item, even though they had already moved from the cage, giving it to them did nothing.

Arkeus

Arcane
The point isn't how complete Wasteland 2; it's that I'm not sure that Original Sin is in that good of a shape. But we'll see when the D:OS alpha comes out...in two days?
I must admit i am somewhat suprrised how positive Roguey has been about D:OS's Alpha given they previous opinions. REALLY hoping that they is right, as D:OS is probably the game i am currently most looking forward to (i am looking forward to W2 and Pillars of Eternity too but i prefer fantasy to post-apocalypse, and Pillars will probably be early 2015..).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Are you guys not interested in bringing aspects of what worked in fallout combat into WL2?

something in fallout combat worked?

And what about perks? Will they exist at all in some form?

Good question, I can't recall. I recall discussing exactly this with Brother None in terms of the character system becoming shallow and boring if it only relied on skills... and someone I think maybe Fargo told me that it was planned.

EDIT: Found it!

RPG Codex Wasteland 2 Gamescom Preview said:
Adding complexity to the character system is an array of Fallout-like traits and perks. Traits have bonuses and penalties - they are boosts to a character's abilities that come with a trade-off. Perks are additional bonuses characters can pick on level-up – although exactly how often characters get to pick them, the guys weren't sure of yet. “Still being balanced,” Fargo commented. He also pointed out that they had discussed different systems for allowing characters to add traits later in the game. “Basically,” Fargo begins, “we want traits that express how your character changes as he makes decisions in the wasteland. As the player progresses through the game, the characters are changed by the decisions they made and the consequences they have. We'd like to exemplify that via traits in the character system.” All of this seems to add a bit more strategic variety to the character system, beyond just stacking up a few combat skills, though only in the final implementation will we see whether it was successful or not.

Was this subject to "things change, mang!" as well Brother None? :M

4. If you do save Ralphy, Jessie and Ralphy run to the playground and discuss leaving the camp. If you go up there with high enough perception you can spot the bomb rigged to the bike, if Angela is with you she'll spot it and remark on it. You can defuse it before either kid gets close to it. If you don't, Jessie runs up to it and dies. If you do, she goes back to Atchinson camp.
it's really fucking stupid how you can't tell those two darwin award winners that there is a bomb but instead have to fiddle with the toolbar (you need more bar slots, btw) to change a slot to demolition while watching their conversation and see jessie blow herself up out of stupidity just about when you are halfway into using the skill. that whole area is friggin gamey design that encourages wading through it once then reloading and doing it "better", which kinda sucks.

I had the impression that people's main issue with the prison video wasn't the quantity of C&C/reactivity, but how incredibly stupid all of it was. Can somebody maybe give an example of C&C in the beta that isn't even more stupid than anything in the prison video, and maybe features multiple (skill-based) approaches and outcomes that aren't simply varying fail/success-states?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
No, but they were still too unbalanced/raw to the point where they made no real sense gameplay-wise and had a negative effect on the experience, so they were pulled for the beta. They are in in internal builds I've been playing but kind of like some skills were pulled for the beta as "not functioning properly". Don't get me wrong, they could be cut if the expenditure makes no sense but as far as I know they're still planned.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I had the impression that people's main issue with the prison video wasn't the quantity of C&C/reactivity, but how incredibly stupid all of it was. Can somebody maybe give an example of C&C in the beta that isn't even more stupid than anything in the prison video, and maybe features multiple (skill-based) approaches and outcomes that aren't simply varying fail/success-states?
Actually I think, I came across one in Ag-Center.

So all the plants and animals are mutating because someone put something in the water supply. Well the guy who takes care of the pigeons, gave them contaminated seeds. He's in a room dying when you find him, and I *think* you have to heal him up to find the surrounding towns where he sent the pigeons to.

Can Brother None or sea confirm if this is c&c or is it predetermined and it only changes when/how you find out?

Edit: this doesn't actually fit all your criteria, but it could be a nice piece of c&c anyways

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No, but they were still too unbalanced/raw to the point where they made no real sense gameplay-wise and had a negative effect on the experience, so they were pulled for the beta. They are in in internal builds I've been playing but kind of like some skills were pulled for the beta as "not functioning properly". Don't get me wrong, they could be cut if the expenditure makes no sense but as far as I know they're still planned.

I'm glad to hear that. It's a pretty central part of my personal enjoyment when it comes to the character system that strategic choices amount to more than which weapon skill you put points into.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I think Original Sin is looking great, but that's mostly UI and visuals. Most of the sound isn't implemented yet, the game is still buggy (it broke during Larian's recent live stream for instance) and frankly we have not seen a lot of the game that hasn't been heavily manicured. Plus, Original Sin has been in development for longer and likely has a bigger budget (or one that can be stretched more).

The kind of bugs that occur on all machines wouldn't concern me, as they are easy to find and fix. The ones that occur on some but not all machines, are more difficult. I must say though, I was a little surpised at some of the features Swen said were only now just working. I thought they would have been done very early in development, so they could write and fully test their scripts.

I'm glad to hear that. It's a pretty central part of my personal enjoyment when it comes to the character system that strategic choices amount to more than which weapon skill you put points into.

Agree! Especially if perks and traits are something more than just bonuses to skills!

Seerix

Arbiter
Played some, stopped at Ag Center when was about to talk with some old scientist.

Performance wise, game's a mess like properly fucked up console port. It actually runs better for me when set at fantastic than on fastest. But whatever, final game should be properly optimized and have its own proper menus and such.

Many games have additional character model rendered inside inventory screen to see upclose changes in clothing and such and that is fine. But rendering additional level within the inventory just to give this character a nice background is pointless performance rape.

There is some bizarre scaling issue with different resolutions. Normally, stuff like text should be getting larger with lower res, not smaller. Additionally, entire UI appears to be designed with 1920x1080 in mind, even my 1600x1200 has some artifacts when compared with FullHD user made screens.

Ability to control advanced graphics options at least trough console commands would be helpful addition.

Regardless of any bickering over what is and what isn't an alpha/beta, just calling this release a test build would get rid of plenty of butthurt.

Toad was a fun encounter, can't believe somebody died to it. Though I did fail to realize how to give my guns ammo(couldn't just drag it to the slot, had to click "equip" :roll:) and whacked it to death.

Been playing with one female char and had Angela to help out, she really likes to go rogue and save me some clicking in usually less than 10 frames per second combat. :lol:

Overall, any of my problems can be and I think should be fixed in the future and others I had in mind were already answered in the thread so no point in repeating. I'll just exercise my hopefullness and hope that Fargo isn't full of shit and the game will deliver. :)

I think I won't bother playing more until release, it feels like a waste playing trough game's beginnings in such a unstable state.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Agree on the graphics options bit, was gonna submit a suggestion about that but haven't been bothered yet. Plenty of time.

I also get worse FPS in the inventory than I do in the game at close zoom.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Brother None I'd consider adding a couple more sections in Center Code about "what type of issue this is" - Performance and Systems would be another two categories. Right now I have submitted FPS stuff under "UI" lol.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Finished my first comprehensive play through of the beta, i tried to do all the content that was available, including going through AG and Highpool each once. Here are a few thoughts on content, considering theres been enough discussion here about mechanics to make any suggestions i have on that regard superfluous:

Content (spoilers):
Ranger HQ

I enjoyed that the rangers started out at the end of a funeral, its a nice touch and sets the tone for the rest of the adventure, that being said, the starting zone needs more fluff added to it.

I would recommend expanding the area with a few more npc's (some quick ideas):

A returning Ranger patrol for example, which you could talk and serve as an introduction to the wasteland and how the various locals feel about the rangers. Something like a gruff group of veterans with a jaded outlook.

Add a quest to the graphiti cleanup guy, something along the lines of an introduction to the crafting system, try to craft some solvent and/or a mop to help the guy with cleanup.

A trade caravan that would be the players first introduction to trading/stores and would be a constant in the wasteland, traveling from spot to spot as the player travels to those areas, sometimes offering quests, others just some info on the locals as well as rare items

Radio Tower

I think the missing ranger angle is a bit underdeveloped and could use some more work.

Add some neutral npc's in the area, a merchant or a traveling family that you can leverage in the interaction with the tower bandits.

The thugs at the tower itself, even tho there are multiple ways of dealing with them (personally i sent them packing to the Ranger HQ), could have a few more approaches added to them, including the above leverage, turn over the family to them or setup an ambush on the traveling merchant and help the bandits take him out for a share of the profits.
AG center

The area design is too dense with props, its confusing and it chugs on performance, interiors included. I would suggest a few more design passes on the maps to clean things up. Also the quests and npc interactions could use some more depth to them.

I enjoyed the detective angle that was suggested earlier in the thread, force the traitor to reveal himself by a traditional detective investigation instead of the current resolve. Same if you go to the Ag center after highpool, the doctor is asking for help and then he just attacks. Makes little sense.

Add some more drama to the zone by having a joinable infected npc approach the Rangers at the start, and then having that npc devolve into something monstrous during the map, in small steps until the player is forced to either kill or be attacked by the infected party member.

Overall the area as it stands is just boring task to accomplish

Highpool

Overall i enjoy it more than the AG center for the simple fact that its less cluttered and faster to complete. Also it has a semi interesting puzzle.

The approach to the settlement is too linear and lacks player influence. I would like to see something like gathering stranded locals to form a militia to charge the raider assault on the settlement, or using the raider's own artilery on them.

Also, the robot angle on the scorpion cave lacks impact, it needs a better reveal, the cave as it stands is useless.

The dowry girl is a good idea, especially how fixated she is on her white knight story, that angle could be twisted somewhat for added impact, having the player play on her fixation with saviors by killing the raiders and then forcing her to open the safe, further traumatizing her, you could encounter her later after she committed suicide for example after having lost everything she had, even her ideals/hopes.

Further develop the election, i recently finished reading the latest lock lamora book, Republic of thieves, and i enjoyed the idea of rigging an election in a scifi/fantasy setting, you could do something similar here. Have the player act as an agent for one of the two parties in an election scam, with all that entails.

Rail Road

First thing i thought about this zone after going through it... "it's a pain to navigate". The settlement itself makes like sense in terms of functionality, while AG stands out as a clear science facility and highpool makes sense as a fortified settlement, here there is just no overall planning to the settlement, no clear town boundaries and fortifications, there is nothing to keep the wildlife or raiders from coming in, all the rail cars are just thrown together. I would recommend you inxile to hire a freelance urban planner (geographer, urban historian, whatever), someone young and creative and just giving him/her the design docs for the locations and say "extrapolate to a post apocalyptic setting". All the zones suffer from this lack of "planning" but the railroad location is the biggest exponent of this problem.

Although the conflict between the factions is a good idea and the overall plot of it is fun, it needs a bit more guidance to the player in terms of what he can and cannot do to resolve it.

The bomb sub plot is also a nice twist, but doesnt have any meaningful conclusion or impact, we should see the Atchinson leader's kid being blown to pieces as a dramatic plot focus, to either enable the player to convince the rebel leader of the pointlessness of the conflict or to drive him insane enough to motivate an all out attack (with player prodding). This is something that is lacking in the game throughout, more violent outcomes, more depressing outcomes, more post apocalyptic helplessness in face of all the shit that is going on. There should be an overbearing feeling of the end of the world in the game, with the comedy as a counterpoint to soften things from time to time, it just lacks "gravitas".

The drunkards and Junkie "sub plots" are practically non existent. Would be fun to do more with the illegal drug lab, including some nice references to Breaking Bad, make it a whole subplot.

Also, why have that big train around if your not going to use it in any way meaningful, for example, by helping the Atchinsons bomb it in a terrorist act.

The railroad bandit camp and the rebel village are also very undeveloped in terms of content, nothing meaningful besides the main quest progression. So much more can be done with a bandit base or a society in collapse with little more than children, old people and women.

Anyways, just a few suggestions.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You missed a couple of spots.
Wasabi on May 24th 2012 said:
So there are trade-offs that have to be made to allow party-splitting across levels to work. At the moment, we think the trade-offs are too big.
Joby on May 31st 2012 said:
For example, water will be vital and there should be times when you need to decide if you should travel together or split your party up ...
The left-hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. Smedstad becomes more and more right every day.
Good catch. I stand corrected.

Last edited:

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
I suppose because I made a joke about female models being "en vogue" I can't be taken seriously :smug:.
Sometimes you say one thing someone doesn't like and they write you off forever. Funny, that, isn't it? ;)

That's not the point-of-view of inXile or the developers watching the threads here though.

My primary takeaways from felipepe's posts, for example, are: 1) here's a bunch of valuable feedback; 2) he's played the game for at least 15 - 20 hours.

aratuk

Cipher
What's the best way to play with those .bin files in the saved games to tweak the variables? I'm trying to figure out which one makes it impossible to leave the Ag Center without crashing, after a certain point. From trial and error with saved games, it seems to be something that happens in the process of clearing out the greenhouses, before heading to the basement. I'm still able to leave the Ag center on loading a save from before that point, and I'm now comparing .bin files with a hex editor, but it's less than ideal. Anyone had any luck figuring it out?

Edit: Yes, I'm posting this to the inXile tech forum...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So I've fixed the valve system in Highpool and restored power to the radio, but I can't find where to attach the repeater. There's no actual tower that I can see in the facility, is it outside or something? Or are you supposed to attach it where you turn on the power in room 6, but mine is just buggy?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Nah, optimization is needed... my brother has a i5 laptop with 6Gb RAM and a 1GB AMD video card, and yet can't run the game even on the lowest setting... it lags so much it's unplayable. Pretty sure that many backers and testers are having the same problem.

It could be related to how laptops handle CPU speed. It can make various timing-related stuff in some engines get confused, and choke the framerate.

Disable Speedstep and other CPU saving features in laptop, i.e make it behave like desktop, see if it suddenly works.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And I don't think it's a bad decision. I absolute adore blobbers, but they are mostly 1-playthrough games. Exploring huge dungeons and such is fun, but re-doing them is usually a pain, as you already know where to go and what's to come. Not even a die-hard Wizardry fan will tell you that is fun to replay Wizardry games 2-3 times in a row... you burn out quickly. And they are still fantastic games.
That's funny coming from our local jRPG fan. jRPGs are about as blobber as they get.
Why funny? Makes perfect sense, jRPGs are also a one-shot experience. Take one of the best jRPGs ever, FF6; replaying it kills any drama or sense of discovery the original playthrough had.

Chrono Trigger is the exception to the rule, but it's arguably the best jRPG ever made, so it's hors concours really...

Last edited:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So I've fixed the valve system in Highpool and restored power to the radio, but I can't find where to attach the repeater. There's no actual tower that I can see in the facility, is it outside or something? Or are you supposed to attach it where you turn on the power in room 6, but mine is just buggy?
Equip the repeater to your hotbar and use it with the big slot at the base of the tower (the crane in Highpool's case, the antenna is mounted to the crane).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom