Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
This is better done with "perks" or "abilities" that are exclusive to certain gun types. Want to specialize in Sniper Rifles? Take the "sniper rifle" ability.
I disagree, I find a sub-skill/specialization system a better way of doing that.

Having multiple weapon skills doesn't make sense unless you believe firing a LMG is significantly different from a SMG or an Assault Rifle.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Agreed with Excidium, for this game. Fallout is fine the way it is, I also would reference Borderlands 1's proficiency system as good, where using the weapon subtype increases your effectiveness. Perks are better for abilities specifically, shotgun surgeon for example. Perks to increase generally efficiency of weapon subtypes is skyrim territory, wasn't a big fan, makes choosing perks less engaging.

Speaking of which..I really want to know more about Wasteland's perks and traits. Any info available on that?
Yeah perks/talents/whatever tend to be my favourite part of any given RPG system but I'm not a fan of "enabler" perks unless it's something really awesome like an exotic type of weapon or special power.

I disagree, I find a sub-skill/specialization system a better way of doing that.

You mean in the way AoD does it, or something else like picking a skill (firearms) and then a sub-skill (smg's)?
Either way works.

Having multiple weapon skills doesn't make sense unless you believe firing a LMG is significantly different from a SMG or an Assault Rifle.
That's why it would be a sub-skill/specialization.

bonescraper

Guns
Energy weapons
Explosives
Melee
Repair
Science
Medicine
Lockpick
Speech
Survival
Sneak
Split Guns into Small Guns & Big Guns, and I'm perfectly okay with this.
No. What Obsidian did in F:NV is the best compromise. FO had 2 "big guns" - minigun and a rocket launcher. FO 2 fixed that by adding a lot more heavy weapons, but they appear halfway through the game. FO:NV got rid of big guns, and sorted weapons by damage type. All ballistic weapons go into guns category, all energy weapons (flamethrowers included) go into energy weapons, and all rocket/grenade launchers were merged with other explosives in their own skill category.

I don't expect W2 to have an afwul lot of "big guns" (think miniguns, heavy machineguns, rocket launchers). They should just copy Obsidian's idea.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys they're probably not going to drastically change the skill system from what was in Wasteland. Find something else to critique.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think that having multiple skills for similar purposes duality (riles and assult rifles, hardass vs candyass) is seen in almost all the skills and in the context of the game it makes sense; I rather have too many skills that one big GUNS skill a la Bethesduh.
I played the demo yesterday for a couple of hours and alhtough it is still a work in progress, there is the potential to be truly awesome and I enjoyed myself tremendously while playing.
The overall feel I get from this thread (other than from Hiver who usualy hates everything) is the "Yeah but..." Response where we mostly like what we see but then start to nitpick because this is the Codex after all and good forbid us admiting we prefer Thali to the blue chick...oops brain fart :D

This is better done with "perks" or "abilities" that are exclusive to certain gun types. Want to specialize in Sniper Rifles? Take the "sniper rifle" ability.

Are we talking about Wasteland or Fallout? Because strength doesn't affect weapon spread in Wasteland as far as I know, in which case yes, I think there is a significant difference to using an LMG or an SMG, Strength obviously deals with that in Fallout, but it doesn't work that way in Wasteland. So in Wasteland, it's fine.

Speaking of which..I really want to know more about Wasteland's perks and traits. Any info available on that?

http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Wasteland_2_traits

It's possible that none of these will ever actually be implemented.
As long as they implement something, nothing written about them but I don't think it's difficult to figure out what they do. I wonder what kind of trade off computer geek would have.

Despite me not wanting them to be a Fallout clone in their skills, I hope they don't leave out perfectly good perk/trait concepts just because Fallout did them, I'd like to see both old and new.(Not that I actually suspect they'd do that, just thinking in text.)

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

But firing a LMG is significantly different from a SMG or an Assault Rifle. I'm not trolling here, that's just the way it is. Shit, firing a revolver is different than shooting a recoil operated semi-auto handgun. I won't go about how a 9mm Glock and a .45 1911 are quite different because I don't think I'm on the right forum for that, but if one would be pedantic about it, these differences are there.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Are we talking about Wasteland or Fallout? Because strength doesn't affect weapon spread in Wasteland as far as I know, in which case yes, I think there is a significant difference to using an LMG or an SMG, Strength obviously deals with that in Fallout, but it doesn't work that way in Wasteland. So in Wasteland, it's fine.

I'm talking about making-weapons-from-real-life-implemented-into-a-game.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
FO had 2 "big guns" - minigun and a rocket launcher.
Don't forget the flame thrower. Going into the Military Base with a flame thrower in one hand and a rocket launcher in the other...
eagle_tear.jpg

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thinking about sub/specialization system, it could be neat if every skill split up after halfpoint for specialization branches.

Like a skill called locksmith going from 1 to 5, and then splitting to picking and safe cracking both having 5 levels. Or Melee splitting into blade and blunt; Medic splitting into doctor and pharmacist (or something); and so on and so forth. Basically offering half the skill as a representative of "general knowledge" and the specialization paths be... well specialization - higher grade knowledge and aptitude for the given subject opening new opportunities otherwise unobtainable. Or some shit like that.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Will there be ANY big guns besides Rocket Launchers in WL2?

I've picked up a rocket launcher in the beta.. I found.

I hope we got a minigun, flamethrowers!!!

I want my minigun ;D

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Don't forget the flame thrower. Going into the Military Base with a flame thrower in one hand, a rocket launcher in the other and a huge hard-on in the pants..

Fixed.

I'm talking about making-weapons-from-real-life-implemented-into-a-game.
I can't make a comment like skuphundaku because I don't own those kind of guns. But I feel like it's visibly apparent that handling an LMG, an SMG, and an assault rifle are significantly different. And remember, this is a topic about: Wasteland, there is no strength requirement for weapon stability. In this game, the most realistic option, is having skills for weapon subtypes. In Fallout, it's fine, you know how to shoot guns and your strength fills in the blanks, this is not the case in Wasteland. This is a realist implementation, for this game.

Although I don't know if I'd want to argue realism in regards to Wasteland anyway, it's Wasteland. It is quite a few notches further from reality than Fallout is, and I'm fine with that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
V4VPsU8.jpg

Decided to go...rebel, and now Ranger Citadel is impossible to enter. The door's locked and you cannot lockpick it. :decline:

Also:

qrINg1w.jpg

:cmcc:

:monocle shatter:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: They'll probably let you invade and destroy Ranger Citadel in later builds. That's supposed to be a non-standard endgame or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLWrmlIWb_w

Any reason why NO game has ever created a similar AWESOME sounding minigun as the one from T2? COME ON THAT SHIT KICKS ASS.. just listen.. fucking listen to that thing..

YEAH :D
Probably because miniguns in games don't shoot anywhere near as fast. I've seen youtube videos of gatling guns shooting at super high rates of fire and they sound similar. New Vegas minigun for example, shoots like, 20 rounds per second, real miniguns shoot like, 100 rounds+ per second .

Also, that screen, the thing that bugs me is the graphical glitch, I should start capping those, I've seen about 6 of them so far, scattered about.

Also,
LOL @ that guy actually detonating the place on you if you touch his equipment, that was great.
. A nice improvement in the barter menu would be to show the ammo type used for the weapon you're about to buy, or at least show the little pop up weapon art similar to when in the inventory, I'd prefer to know if I have enough ammo to actually use the weapon I'm about to spend my last bit of scrap buying.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
ANOTHER ONE BITES THE KNEE

:lol:

Wtf, they must think it's really funny to use it more than once. Hey, here's a suggestion inXile, make the boss killable only by shooting it in the knee. That would be CRAAAAIIZY!!!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom