Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DeepOcean

Arcane
During my gameplay of Wasteland 2 beta, i noticed that i don't think of PCs as the actual PCs, but rather as a tools to achieve something, as a mere soulless automatons. I mean, for example, during my gameplay of the (sacred and exalted) fallout 1 and 2, I hated or loved every character in these games, their personality was so charismatic that I couldn't bear to disband some of them just for the sake of the pure usefulness.
Ian shooting him in the back... A deep connection indeed...:lol: But seriously, the NPCs had okay dialog in Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 but saying that they had personality is a bit too much.

JParabellum

Novice
Return of the soulless automatons! http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5436

First of all, i would like to post a little warning, that this post is not a rant, but just my thoughts and feelings towards current beta, and i totally understand that the developers of this highly anticipated game are far more experienced than me, but still, maybe just maybe this post will yield some truth
icon_e_smile.gif

During my gameplay of Wasteland 2 beta, i noticed that i don't think of PCs as the actual PCs, but rather as a tools to achieve something, as a mere soulless automatons. I mean, for example, during my gameplay of the (sacred and exalted) fallout 1 and 2, I hated or loved every character in these games, their personality was so charismatic that I couldn't bear to disband some of them just for the sake of the pure usefulness. I mean, damn, i've tagged along with myron just for the sake of his constant rant of how great he is, and how shitty everyone else is. Oh and his banter with Marcus? Straight hilarious.

Maybe, this is simply because of the beta stage of the game, and in the final product the personalities will be more refined and deep. Maybe it's just me.

What I am trying to say, is that I expected a deeper connection between PCs, such infightings within party (like giving some kind of starting trait and antagonizing it, like honest vs liar, gunnut vs melee fighter and etc)

Yeah I wish there was some more PC interaction so far all I get is Angela Deth's whining. I only had one created character in my squad so the other three should have had some interactions. Hopefully they will be added into the final release.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
F2 has awesome characters like Sulik, Marcus and Myron. W2 so far feel like those NPCs from F1 that no one remembers or liked, Katja and Tycho. Surely they could do with more banter, war cries and small talk.

Arbitrariness of simulationist arguments never ceases to amuse me.

You want 30 different skills to represent oh so complicated art of shooting from firearms for no other reason than "that's just the way it is". On the other hand you are perfectly fine with only one skill representing all of the engineering disciplines, and having two skills representing medical practice is just too much. :lol:

I agree with you, but your blanket response was pretty retarded, the points you addressed were spread out amongst multiple posters. No poster actually said what it is you're replying to.:retarded: Edit: What I mean is that I agree that there aren't too many medical skills, and that there are enough specialization, have to specify because you didn't really make a point per say.

Not that I agree with him, but wasn't there talk of how NPCs would have tons of personality, party banter, and could even steal your shit and stuff like that?

The only thing I saw is that sometimes they act on their own in combat, but it doesn't seem tied to their personality, as even the goddamn scientist liked to go berserk...
Banter is very common, I've seen about a dozen comments by her so far in a couple of different locations, I was digging up graves at ranger hq and she tried to murder me, the wrench is tied to her character, and she doesn't always give it up, obviously she can act on her own in combat. Whether or not there is banter between members, thievery, or npcs that will start shit with others is unknown as of now, I've only had Angela, and I doubt the tutorial npc you get would be so /edgy/.

JParabellum

Novice
I really dislike Hex... whats the point of using a a energy weapon if you're gonna miss 60% of the time?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Not that I agree with him, but wasn't there talk of how NPCs would have tons of personality, party banter, and could even steal your shit and stuff like that?

The only thing I saw is that sometimes they act on their own in combat, but it doesn't seem tied to their personality, as even the goddamn scientist liked to go berserk...

EDIT: Found it, was on the Codex's own interview with Faran Brygo:

Wasteland enforced a distinction between the core group of player created characters and the companions that could tag along. The companions would largely control themselves and helped to integrate the player's party with the game's setting and quests. Is the autonomy and personality of these companions something you would like to expand upon in Wasteland 2? In what ways?

BF: I absolutely want to expand on the NPCs' self directed nature. I do want control to tell them to move, fire, evade, etc., and probably most the time they will obey. Some NPCs will waste ammo like in the first game, but I want to take it further. Some will steal from you, which will be funny to notice your canteen is missing. Maybe he will return it and maybe he won't. And you may have another powerful NPC in the group, but he just hates bikers. Walk into a biker bar and he starts attacking without regard for consequences. Those are fun moments for me.
There's quite a bit of party banter in the sense of commenting on the environment and occurences, like Rose or Angie commenting on Rail Nomad as you first enter it. You can see most of what Brian is talking about in the beta area

Scotchmo will steal snake squeezin's from you with regularity. Scotchmo will also turn on you if you dig up his wife. Angela can interject in some key situations (I think she can talk to raiders in first map, and then there's her noticing the bomb in the RN playground). Rose has a lot going on but that's most post-beta area.

And yes, you can lose control of party members. It's not so much going beserk as it is going rogue, the AI taking over, which can lead to nasty surprises like engaging another group in combat or getting into a bad spot and causing friendly fire, which is pretty much what Brian has in mind there. It sounds weird but it's that occasional self directed nature that sets em apart from PCs. This is partially dictated by a NPCs personality but that's not present in the beta unless I missed an occurence of it. Losing control is mostly tied to leadership skill IIRC.

F2 has awesome characters like Sulik, Marcus and Myron. W2 so far feel like those NPCs from F1 that no one remembers or liked, Katja and Tycho. Surely they could do with more banter, war cries and small talk.
Heh, funny though, the most well-remembered Fallout NPCs are both from Fallout 1; Dogmeat and Ian.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I have to agree with Felipepepe, while the last thing I want is Biowerian simplistic emotional drama and shitty romances with endless childish shit, I really hope the whole NPCs stealing shit from you and behaving in different ways actually materialize and is common in the final game.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin

Everyone remembers getting hit by Ian's burst fire though, that cunt.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Rose would comment on every section of the Ag-Center if you recruit her.
Yeah, but that's quest related. Angela also talks a lot on the Radio Tower, but after that she goes mute, except for one or two lines when meeting key NPCs.

I actually suggested on the feedback site for some more war cries from NPCs, in form of floating text during combat or entering a new area. It always gave lots of personality in Fallout and Baldur's Gate.

Scotchmo will steal snake squeezin's from you with regularity. Scotchmo will also turn on you if you dig up his wife. Angela can interject in some key situations (I think she can talk to raiders in first map, and then there's her noticing the bomb in the RN playground). Rose has a lot going on but that's most post-beta area.

And yes, you can lose control of party members. It's not so much going beserk as it is going rogue, the AI taking over, which can lead to nasty surprises like engaging another group in combat or getting into a bad spot and causing friendly fire, which is pretty much what Brian has in mind there. It sounds weird but it's that occasional self directed nature that sets em apart from PCs. This is partially dictated by a NPCs personality but that's not present in the beta unless I missed an occurence of it. Losing control is mostly tied to leadership skill IIRC.
Angela should attack me for digging Ace's grave? I did that with her in the party and she didn't do anything, not even a reaction on his notebook...

JParabellum

Novice
Vic did the same thing if you were stupid enough to give him an SMG.. Heck he even hit me with his shotgun. I wound up taking his shotgun away and giving him a 10mm Pistol. Myron I think is the only one who didn't do Friendly Fire at all... He was a crack shot with his Needle gun... An addict good with a firearm o.O.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Angela should attack me for digging Ace's grave? I did that with her in the party and she didn't do anything, not even a reaction on his notebook...
No, nothing's scripted for Angela yet there. I was talking (and named) someone else, who does react in a similar situation.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
No, nothing's scripted for Angela yet there. I was talking (and named) someone else, who does react in a similar situation.
Yeah, that's why I asked. Scotchmo is kind of easy to miss, while Angela is right there at the start... thought it was a bug that she didn't react.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pretty epic memes, inXile. Better step it up, DAI currently has doge.

I also hope you like getting criticism from angry transwomen.
HVIYZNJ.png

:yeah: Wasteland 2 really is just Fallout 3: Wasteland Edition.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That dude from Shamus Young's comments has conversations with crazy trannies on Twitter, huh

...he's probably a better fit for the Codex than he thinks! :smug:

Wrong, she does do that, she specifically told me to let Ace rest in peace, she gave 2 or 3 warnings and then tried to kill me.

JParabellum

Novice
Pretty epic memes, inXile. Better step it up, DAI currently has doge.

I also hope you like getting criticism from angry transwomen.
HVIYZNJ.png

:yeah: Wasteland 2 really is just Fallout 3: Wasteland Edition.

Sorry not gonna take a person who calls itself blonde-anything seriously

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sorry not gonna take a person who calls itself blonde-anything seriously

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
You're prejudiced against a hair color, think about how ridiculous that sounds.

set

Arcane
I think I'm prejudiced against "her" over-emphasis on graphics.

Yeah, Wasteland 2 ain't pretty, and I'm kinda mad there's no day-night system as the shadows do give it enough ambiance to forgive that fact, but it's not like art really matters at the end of the day, even if it's probably the only thing that propels the likes of Killzone, The Witcher, and Crysis and other similar games into inappropriate places of success, where thin, barebones, or at least, compromising gameplay is ignored because lol grafix.

Definitely, your average joe's first impressions of Wasteland 2 are from its graphics. I had someone literally come up to me while I was on lunch break, playing on my laptop, and accused the game of being boring. He literally didn't even see more than five seconds before he'd made up his mind. Definitely wouldn't have said "boring" if the camera were first-person and the graphix super top notch.

Wrong, she does do that, she specifically told me to let Ace rest in peace, she gave 2 or 3 warnings and then tried to kill me.
She does? Go figure. Cool.

Well then it is a bug!
It's a good bug.

Also, everything Blonde tranny said is true. The character models are really quite ugly, but my team looks pretty cool from far away. I'd say they shouldn't have zoomed in on them but it's kind of needed to customize. They really are potato blobs, the best comparison would be aged RTS games like Warcraft 3, as long as the larger enemies look good, big creatures/mutants/robots then I won't mind much.

Graphics are important, but graphics are based around budget, exception to that rule being Vegas, which spent it where it was needed. Although who knows how much those pointless(but cool) cinematics costed. Some of the design can be explained by the setting, the grossly thin frames and dirty faces make sense. I don't know if I'd say they did well for their budget, as SRR had a similar one but looked much better, but from what I can see SRR's entire campaign was about the same length as this beta. Shorter even, given the branching between highpool/ag center.

set

Arcane
SRR has much more disgusting low poly models, though it does look ten times prettier due to environmental effects and better-suited art style. Plus, the levels are pretty tiny, so I'm sure that helps.

Graphics do not matter, except from a sales standpoint.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom