Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Way of Wrath - early bronze age RPG with fort management and dynamic open world

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
A story-driven, open-world, tactical RPG set in a pre-historic shamanistic world. Inspired by Baldur's Gate, Gothic, & Legend of Zelda.

Seriously?
Baldur's Gate, i get it but Gothic? :retarded::retarded::retarded:/5
Legends of Zelda? :retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded:/5

I believe they forgot to call-in for Tetris, Arkanoïd, Minecraft, World of Warcraft and GTA fans...
It's inspired by everything!
It sounds like much but really the root of it is in-game design approaches. Putting the immersion, freedom, open-ended design, and "hand-crafted" content forward. (Probably more accurate would be "bringing stuff Ultima gifted the world back together into one game").

Imagine Gothics' small hand-crafted opened world, with party-based combat and branching quests, and more complex encounter/level design. (Think Thief/Deus ex).

When you have 2 sentence marketing blip, you have to rely on stuff like that :D But during Kickstarter, I'll have more detailed updates to explain each mechanic and choice. A short overview of why those games:

Gothic:
#1)A smaller, hand-crafted open world with a lot of lessons from Gothic. The more complex and vertically rich levels. Meaningfully and consistently placed pick-able plants and other world elements.

#2)The unique and memorable area approach. For example, if one cave is in a forest, and we need another cave we'll place it in a completely different area like a mountain top, or behind the waterfall. What happens in each area will also differ. It's a small thing, but stuff like that made me remember by heart each bridge, cave, or piece of forest.

#2) Immersion elements. We have detailed hunting, cooking, crafting and focus on these elements being immersively animated.

#3) Faction and Community system. Each faction has its own internal structure, social structure, and relationships.

#4) You'll definitely need to earn a "hero status", or whatever comes close to it in our setting :D

#5) Interesting interactions and quests. Where one seemingly random thing can lead to an unexpected encounter. To keep exploration rewarding.

#6) Making stuff like plants, or resources you pick up meaningful. By this I mean, rare plants will have more substantial bonuses to give you and the more common ones you'll need in quantity as you have to manage a whole fort-load of people.

#7) Curiosity should be rewarded, make it worthwhile for players to seek out hidden nooks and crannies.

#8) If there are plants in the world, a man should have the means to smoke them.
fd3d4d0442f9.gif

Baldur's Gate:

#1) If there is a piece of land, you gotta put something interesting for players to do in there.

#2) Companion stories should emerge during gameplay and you co-experience their defining story moments. So you can bond and have shared adventures. (VS modern trend of interactive autobiographies)
We actually pushed this to a whole new level. Where each character is a unique NPC. And even your enemies will be more than one-off the encounter. You can make deals with them, play them against each other, blackmail etc.

#3) More open-ended main quest and side content that helps you advance the main quest. (Get 20k for a ship) This makes the game feel more like an adventure, and less like a bookkeeping experience. Where you advance X main quest, Do all the side quests you can. Advance main story, repeat. All the tentatively avoiding points where MQ moves the story forward and locks out of side content.

The concept is that you are trapped in a frozen valley, and you have few days to prepare for a massive siege. So everything you do feeds into this idea. You recruit allies because you need people to fight for you and build defenses. You need to hunt to craft equipment and feed your allies. If you go out to fight, that will mean fewer enemies in a siege, if you go hunting or fishing, you need those resources to feed your allies. If you spent the evening playing mini-games with characters, this will increase their morale and fight and work better. Everything you do will give an edge. The side content, which is often more fun than the main one, now stops being a side content and take rightful place in front.

#4) Again, less is more approach. Tie the combat and other elements to quests as much as possible and avoid repeating the same themes and patterns in player experience. Make stuff unique.

#5) Ability for the player to roleplay chosen origin, and personality.

Zelda)
#1) The feeling of the open-world adventure.

#2) The mechanics and the world interactivity to come together more dynamically and be more thought out to create emergent gameplay effect.

#3) Use the world interactivity to give players ways to make their own path and come up with their own solutions to problems.

Thief/Deus ex/Underrail
#1) Just because it's an "isometric-ish map" does not mean each encounter should come down to go in there, trigger dialogue, fight, repeat. It's possible to create more elaborate "strongholds" where you have multiple layers and multiple ways to solve things.
We want a more complex story quest, where the enemy camps are really powerful and you through exploration and discovery gain an edge. For example, if you are a shaman, you can spy on enemies, learn what they are afraid of, and work on their fears and superstitions to destroy their morale. Or let them capture a batch of your alcohol, and attack them when they're drunk.

#2) Environment and level design should tell a story, and they should reflect the personality of characters who inhabit game areas.

#3) Areas should be more open-ended, with multiple entry points and to support different playstyles. (Combat, Stealth, Diplomacy)

There's a lot more to talk about, and I will in KS updates :D

We are very close to having all of this come together really nicely. The main theme of the core concept makes everything easier to integrate meaningfully.

With Kickstarter stretch goals we'll have the ability to add tactical depth to AI. By improving the character controller(Increase environment traversal options. (Climb, sneak, jump)) and Add more situation altering skills, like pushing people off the ledges, more advanced traps, ambush spots. And hire more team members for visual effects, music, text editing stuff like that. Which will mean more core time spent on quest and gameplay polish. And a lot of other stuff that I will also share in updates and on KS page.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg

5da4b21b3568bdd38e3a265b290d966f_original.jpg

The Way of Wrath is A story-driven, open-world, tactical RPG set in a pre-historic shamanistic world. Inspired by Baldur's Gate, Gothic, & The Legend of Zelda.
8988f863eceb60433b7c334d8809d099_original.gif

Discover exciting secrets and explore beautiful but deadly landscapes with many unique areas, each offering distinct challenges.

05ada96a26fc85abf7c2e91e6f681ebe_original.gif

Discover animal lairs and hunt vicious predators, drill holes in a frozen lake to catch fish, and scour the land for rare herbs and minerals. Use what you find to craft weapons, armor, medicine, and special empowering incenses to inhale at shaman altars.

ac7c7e7f1281deb35e6b91f809c8e8e7_original.gif

Discover factions full of complex characters in believable communities that live and breathe the rich lore of the game.

c2a30a3a3dc2d6a4e9f649e224937615_original.gif

Combat is fast, dynamic, and lethal. Use clever tactics, chain party skills into combos, and master the art of war.

559a84069cccc3a97aede9de0f0bd428_original.gif

Customize your character’s appearance and choose from 8 very distinct story origins. Freely mix 100+ skills and craft your own playstyle with the classless RPG system.

c5e6423f518309c7bd12f48caf6d39ae_original.gif

Recruit 8 unique story companions that you can befriend, antagonize, or romance. Or craft a completely new party of custom characters.

78b4d37c7d486f3746200e117142280d_original.gif

Command your own fort as your home base. Get to know your allies over the campfire, share food & drinks, and play mini-games. Rule over your people and oversee the construction and rebuilding of defenses.

eb664bf5f3a5d8d354de96dff8192653_original.png

e1e6c9a39d414ad7548cc78d524741d5_original.gif

The Way of Wrath is a story-driven, open-world, tactical RPG that takes you on a harrowing journey through a shamanistic world inspired by the ancient earth.

In a world of shamans, curses, and dark rituals you are a new chieftain of the Thein - the nomadic, tribal people of the north. And you have one goal - to lead your people through one hell of a siege launched by your enemies.

5946d1c23110b094675953a707c71181_original.jpg

In The Way of Wrath we combined elements from masterpieces we love, like Baldur's Gate, Gothic and Zelda, with new ideas creating a reactive, rich, story-driven game where every challenge can be overcome in many ways and players are always rewarded for experimentation.

6d144a9ae4e5279c3cc0500ce13c30b7_original.gif

e766faf1df107256aa9caf69b09ec699_original.jpg

00d1cc14b53700b783405217accd89e4_original.jpg

DEMO
The Demo Coming February 3rd as Part of Steam Winter Festival

029366d9376c9b33565dad196df3ec5a_original.gif

91c4bca0ab7d487714b07d7903370e41_original.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The Kickstarter Campaign is Live! - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg

The Way of Wrath is a story-driven, open-world, tactical RPG inspired by Gothic, Baldur's Gate, and The Legend of Zelda. With a lovingly hand-crafted world for you to get lost in.

We have worked for days and nights for three years and now is defining moment where we can push the game right into epic heights.

Join our adventure, become our backer, and help us shape a truly remarkable RPG that we all dream to play. Will you answer our call? ⚔️

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
10 Percent there! I shared an update with the Law system. Long story short, every time you make a judgment, mechanically it becomes a new law that you and others are expected to follow.
Sometimes it can bite you in the behind, sometimes aid you.

The Full article: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3088201
Game Mechanics: The justice system and the law
6fbd23a71fe240bf5ef15be2b1bedad0_original.gif

The Thein, the tribe your avatar belongs to, are nomadic people. They have few settlements, few places with a constant supply of food. They follow the migration of animals, the cycles of weather, the visions of their shamans.

They have as many customs and variations of them as there are groups of people isolated enough to make up their own. This makes it hard for Thein to settle their disputes and judge the crimes. There is no one law of the land and each tribe or a village lives by its own rules.

To mitigate this problem, the Thein share a custom of example. When a chieftain judges the deed and the people find their ruling fair, this judgment will now become a law. The greater the fame and reputation of the judge, the more weight their ruling will carry, and more people will use it to settle their disputes.

The shamans, Yarbogha, travel from village to village, from tribe to tribe and collect the laws invented by the people, and share the laws made by others. They are the living keepers of the Thein law.

32ee922ae78efe81f18cf500a96f44ba_original.jpg

As a Warchief, it is your duty to settle the disputes among your people. When you make a judgment, this becomes a law. People will remember it. They will follow the example of your rulings and expect you to make the same judgments for similar cases in the future.

A fickle judge is seen as corrupt and unfair. Especially if favorable and mild sentences are given to those close to the judge.

bbad2c1b75461b8907b5a38e53143d2a_original.png

The greater your reputation, the greater weight your rulings will carry. And who knows, the choices you make now could ripple into many future stories to come.

We are hoping mechanics like that will add more meaning and impact on your relationships with other characters and add weight to your actions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The Way of Wrath demo will not be in the Steam Game Festival: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3089884

Our campaign was picked for Projects We Love and we are 30%+ funded. So happy right now!

Projects We Love ^_^

We were greeted with amazing news today! The Way of Wrath campaign was picked by Kickstart for Projects We Love Feature ^_^ This made us so happy and energized!

c0f272331aa97d5d4e0107cde2da2e94_original.gif

Some news!
Our campaign is progressing great! We are now 30%+ funded and were are very excited to reach full funding as soon as possible to unlock the Nintendo Switch and Translations and other stretch goals!

28641b8d17d8f1b52553179525a2d21c_original.jpg

We reached our 3rd Social goal and unlocked community reward! We'll host a live stream tomorrow at 12 am EST | 6 pm CET where we'll design Easter Eggs based on your comments! And they'll make their way into the game for you to find ^_^ Think about your favorite games, movies, books, comics. What you'd love to find as easter eggs while exploring the world of The Way of Wrath and let us know in the comments!

Our Twitch

The Game Demo
We decided to release the demo on February 22.

The Kickstarter launch takes a lot of energy and attention. In the crucial first week, we need to focus on the campaign and make sure the campaign gets enough attention to receive the funding we need and unlock the stretch goals.

Spreading the campaign and demo launch dates will allow us to make sure both experiences receive proper attention and we don't exhaust ourselves dangerously in the process. This will also give us more time to test and make sure the demo is a great experience and that when we launch the demo we can properly support it with patches and implement your feedback from the start, without harming the marketing efforts of the campaign.

Beacon Pines
Our Friends from Hiding Spot Games launched a campaign for a charming adventure game with a unique twist.

Beacon Pines
is a cute and creepy adventure game within a magical storybook. You play as both the reader of the book and its main character, Luka. Explore the world to find word charms. Use your charms to change the course of fate!

If you love adventure games (We do!) you can check out their live campaign.

Dwerve
Our friends from Half-Human Games made a Kickstarter funded tower defense dungeon crawler RPG Dwerve. It tells the story of a young dwarven tinkerer that adventures into dwarven ruins and there with the help of clever turrets and traps, he seeks to protect the fellow dwarves from Witch Queen Vandra the Wicked and her army of bloodthirsty trolls and monstrous creatures!

7f7974a4060ad48067f75d9d9b545b61_original.gif

They are now inviting everyone to join their live-streaming of Dwerve on Steam on Feb 3 at 8 pm EST/GMT-5 and Feb 4 at 12 pm EST/GMT-5. They would love for you to join and say hi!

vazha

Arcane
If I start to proselytize (via separate thread) and publicly donate my meager savings, would you reconsider?

These guys need every kind of help they can get. Let's not forget we are not talking about an European or even Slavjunk product, we are talking about a third world country that has hit rock bottom due to Covid 19 - developing an RPG here is a borderline miracle all by itself. Extending them a helping hand would be a noble and befitting gesture for a prestigious and esteemed gaming community that we are.

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
vazha:salute:

You got me there, gonna back this after 20th Jan.

Game's really piqued my interest.
Thank you!

About fundraiser
Although, I'll admit to being a bit terrified to mention this, our top tier is the:
Mythic
Join the likes of Lord British, Elminster, Bellegar, and Gandalf. Your character will appear in every game, book, tv-series, comics, movie that will ever be made in The Way of Wrath universe. This is your chance to become a legend.

So, MR. Codex recurring mythic character is still up for grabs.

So, MR. Codex recurring mythic character is still up for grabs.
I'm going to assume that there's an actual quality barrier here and that I can't lob 5000 eurobux into the kickstarter void in order to force you to include Sir Cums'n'shitsalot into the vast lore and media that is The Way of Wrath™?

vazha

Arcane
We could have Lilura guys! As a baldrick like character that has cunning and grandiose plans, that always end up retarded!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3093099

Article about hunting mechanics and A new community contest!

A Tribe Wars Community Contest
4764b60aba68eb1faf6ccac083c92c76_original.jpg

In this new Community Challenge, we invite you to test your skills as a ...... Cook! Yes, the nomadic, tribal of the north love the good food. Few ingredients are found in the cold climate of the Thein homelands, so you'll need to use imagination and come up with a fictional pre-historic food, hot drink, alcohol, or other edible and drinkable thing.

Here is a small, non-exhaustive, list of some of the ingredients you can find in the game. And we invite you to come up with an interesting recipe or cooking method for them. Maybe something unique from your culture? You are also encouraged to add your own ingredients. Those found in cold climates would be better, but as we have mercenary characters fighting you from far off lands, a warmer climate ingredient or two is also possible!

2e32e2d2c35043f67d41404a3b315ebc_original.png

• Hearthberry - a very sweet winterberry.
  • Pinecones, pine nuts, and pine needles.
  • Dwarf willow bark. - Slightly bitter, earthly flavor.
  • Mushrooms.
  • Fireweed - a very potent herb used in tea and to add flavor to dishes. Somewhat similar to wild basil.
  • Game meat, bones, blood, and offal. (Deer, Rathaag, Hare, Seal, Some prehistoric animals?)
  • Fish - different fish meats. Shark meat? Caviar?
  • Rock tripe - a bitter, slightly sour edible moss.
  • "Old man's beard" - a special moss growing on pine trees. Usually used to brew tea.
  • Mountain goat milk and cheese.
  • Volcanic Yams - A root vegetable with brightly colored flesh. The taste is a mix of potato and horseradish.
  • Wild garlic.
  • Firetongue - explosively hot peppers from the far off homeland of your companion Guurka. He did warn you not to try them.
How will it be cooked? Smoked, dried, in a stew, in the oven, on a skewer? Wrapped in skin and spices and buried under fire? Marinaded?

(as Thein worship the sky, and consider birds holy. The winged creatures are off their diet. But you can break this taboo. Though at your peril.)

The best recipes will make it into the game!

(looking for inspiration? there are many cool food travel shows on youtube. We love best ever food review show )

Be sure to also dedicate your victory to one of our community meta game tribes. The bears, The wolves, or The Eagles! You can learn more about them on our interactive page. And you can join the tribes in our Discord.
Some News
We have a first backer for "Design a weapon tier"! Will it be a sword, an axe, a bow or? What will be the story behind it? How will the design look? It's so cool to have this feeling of anticipation and curiosity, towards the element of your game. Usually, as a designer, you know each and every detail by heart. Now something unknown to look forward to!

4 out of 5 Design a pet rewards tiers have backers, and we have met two of the animals to become the in-game characters in our discord! <3 ^_^

26a10423077ffc16f45e3b0fe84f763e_original.jpg

The first big ideas from the community made it into games feature log. Courtesy of Tyrax Lightning and NatureBoy, we had an awesome discussion about how we could improve cooking and eating mechanics.

And we came up with the idea of having real meals at the table or camps with your characters. Instead of crafting items to be used in inventory, you'll eat meals the proper way at the table in your fort, or while visiting your various camps in the wilderness. The food will provide longer bonuses and restore your stamina.

Having a proper meal will be an opportunity for you to bond with characters. And for Thein dining with warchief is a great honor. It will positively influence character morale and they'll fight and work better.

You'll still be able to craft smaller food items, to be used as snacks on the road.

This could also work great with our day mechanic, and ground your character with an immersive daily routine.

Of course, like all the mechanics it must prove itself in playtest. But we are excited to try this out!

We are 48% funded! Very close to halfway milestone and in five days! We can't thank you enough for this!

Hunting was chosen as today's update but the community. What update should we do next?

Option 1 - Inspirations for the game, what games inspired us, and how.

Option 2 - Factions, some of the factions you'll meet in the game.

Option 3 - Game Design Philosophy - what principles guide our game design

Hunting Mechanics
In the Way of Wrath, you are trapped in a frozen valley. It's a beautiful, untamed land full of exciting areas for you to explore. It is also a land that spews hot fire from its depth, land of avalanches and landslides, land constantly reshaped. Land of deadly cold and blinding sun. Where nature's fury rages constant.

To thrive in this harsh environment you’ll need to learn its nature. You’ll need to craft warm and sturdy clothes and armor, to survive freezing winds and attacks by your enemies. You’ll use plants, herbs, and animal plants to prepare salves, poultices, and mixtures inspired by real-world folk medicines to heal multitudes of wounds you can sustain from battles and natural hazards.

a964a9b298ade4aefe8d070a5f354488_original.jpg

You will have to hunt for food and plenty of it to feed yourself and your followers.

The survival elements in the way of wrath are used to increase immersion and connection of the player character to the story, they don't have a survival sim level of detail or involvement. At the core, The Way of Wrath is an RPG game. And the mechanics are there to increase Role-play depth, exploration fun, and immersion.

One of the best sources of food and armor crafting ingredients comes from animals you will hunt. You will need to learn about each animal to have a chance of catching it.

A special hunting skill tree will allow you to spot animal tracks and trails.

beb229ccda3652a73712eb48e2c820b6_original.gif

Animals come in different varieties. To catch small animals you’ll need to find good spots on the map to place your snares. If you choose a good spot and use the right bait, the next day you’ll have a chance at finding fresh game trapped in your snares.

You can use the Survival Tree skill "Eye of the Hunter" to spot animal trails, the places where animals have eaten, and other details. This will help you find the right spots, the right baits, and the right strategy for your hunt.

de43bfbc5a9135842a447c82f5d07ed0_original.gif

To hunt large herbivores you will need to use stealth and aim for a clean kill, otherwise, your prey may escape.

And you will need to find the courage to face the savage fury of the primal predators. Animals like prehistoric bear Rathaag will give you a true challenge and you’ll need to use your full arsenal of tricks to survive its savage fury.

3088fa3af2ca446270452536a1f58856_original.gif

Your best bet is to bait and ambush the predators, so you can have a first chance at throwing a spear at them. This will deal with substantial damage and make the fight to come easier. You can also place special traps and lure the chasing animal into them. With clever tricks and a bit of luck, you will come out of the ordeal alive.

c481392998dbffe90b46878601cc0fef_original.gif

Some of the animals like seals. Will have their own special minigames inspired by real-world ancient hunting techniques.

Respecting nomadic traditions, no part of your kill will go to waste. You will use bones and hide to craft armor, some animal parts, and fat you’ll use for medicine and shamanistic rituals. And the meat, offal, and fat will serve as perfect ingredients for you to cook up hearty meals that will keep your allies strong and happy.

61c5f8bfe4cb511b426a5fd7672636c2_original.gif

Aveliana
We want to give a shout-out to Romain (AKA TheFrenchDev). Who is working on an infiltration-action-adventure game Aveliana. This beautiful innovative game, which invented a whole new genre(!), is developed by a Solo Dev and is now live on Kickstarter.

Aveliana
is an infiltration-action-adventure game in 2.5D with unique and diverse gameplay! Will you stealth your way to victory? Seek a forgotten path on the edge of a cliff? Or stand and fight against your enemies? Follow the trace of a mysterious fox and learn about a surprising story!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3094329

Article about factions and we are 55% funded in our first week! Thank you so much!

Some news
The cooking recipe contest we started in the last update is going great! We had awesome submissions, and we learned many cool things in the process. Turns out it's possible to make flour from pine nuts/seeds! Thein cookies? The contest will close 11pm EST Feb 8 | 5 am CET Feb 9, you still have time to come up with a recipe of your own!

8d0b2ed2b3196aad23e8501cfe29c773_original.gif

The idea of Cyberdruid detectives was discussed in our discord channel. Nope, not giving away any context.

We are 56 % funded! More than halfway through. And we have the first backer for Design an NPC reward tier. What can we say but... THANK YOU! (Cheers Treant!)

The faction topic was selected as the topic of this update. You can choose what should be the next ^^

Option 1: Choices & Consequences - What is our approach for the big C&C

Option 2: Shamans - Learn more about different shamans you'll meet in The Way of Wrath

Option 3: Game Design Philosophy - what principles guide our game design

Factions
The factions have an internal social structure and hierarchy. And different relationships with different factions. Some you can recruit as allies, others are your sworn enemies. Each has its own personality, the shared values, and traditions that bind them together.

d738c2bb9e09a5078e3b5031fa77da01_original.jpg

Your choices and Reputation will change how factions think about you and your ragged group of survivors.

Learn more about the internal faction dynamic and you will have a great advantage when dealing with them. You can play enemy factions against each other and weaken their unity. Or solve differences between allies to bring them together as a stronger whole.

When you join a faction to your cause, their people will move into your fort and you will gain access to their warriors, builders, hunters, healers. This will make your life both simpler and harder at the same time.

Describing factions themselves is a bit tricky for us. We don't have a "reliable narrator", a definite source of information for you to consult on matters of lore and the world. Everything you hear about anything in the game is just an opinion of a character who conveys this information.

What you read now is just a personal account of one of the companion characters you'll meet on your journey and a small sample of different factions you'll encounter in the game.

cbb033c3d2f5e9935c9f75a5876970ec_original.jpg

Fisherfolk of the white grave valley
c47723fd4eba4b9d7c03f1f20893abd4_original.gif

"At the edge of a frozen lake lies a small village. It serves as a home to an isolated, secretive tribe. To a stranger, they would appear peaceful, defenseless, and meek. Easy pickings for a plunder-minded raider.

The Thein know better. Chase the fleeing villager across the frozen lake and your last sensation will be cold terror gripping your heart as the ice shatters beneath your feet and you are swallowed by the cold depths. Take a bite of the fish freely hanging from the racks and you’ll beg the sky for the sweet release of death as you lie on cold earth writhing in excruciating agony from the poison they infused into its flesh.

Few lucky enough to gain their trust are invited to share their fire, trade for supplies, and attend the sacred rituals where villagers honor their dead entombed frozen in the icy lake."

fa29fed438bbbbf0e2614e89783e31c8_original.gif

In all my travels in Thein lands, never have I felt more at home than at the hearth the fisherfolk of the White Grave Valley. Though our customs could be no different, I felt an unexplainable kinship to these strange folk.

An army stolen from the death.

"As the warriors lay broken and torn on the cold earth. Begging heavens for a quick death. They’d see golden curls lighten their view and watch a wisp of a young girl, clad in white, drag them to safety. She would tend to their wounds and mend their broken spirits.

The Seer was she called and her name hailed by each warrior on the eve of battle. Calling heavens to send them the mysterious savior should they fall in battle.

Until it came to light, the seer healed each poor spirit, headless of their allegiance. To help the enemy in a war is an unforgivable crime to the Thein and the shamans and leaders of the Tribes set forth to punish the traitor seer.

The seer met them openly, defiant in the face of their accusations. With heavy hearts, but their minds true to the customs of their ancestors, Thein moved to enact their ruthless punishments.

The mangled shapes rose behind the seer. The grim eyes, alight with malice, stared from the bloodied faces. It was clear. Anyone set on bringing harm upon the young Seer would first have to test their mettle against the army she had stolen from the death."

This I thought a wild tale until I witnessed it for myself. My own people and the Thein breaking bread together. Mortal foes brought together to what purpose? Fearing I too would fall to the witchcraft of their seer I fled from their path.

d78aff92bccd8039f6cfc87ae4bbae4c_original.jpg

I have watched in wonder as a child the celebrations held in the streets of our city to honor great general Araka.

As a youth in training, I listened in awe as the retired soldier threw away the riches and honors of his rank and preached the ways of peace in proud defiance to the many threats from his former brothers in arms.

53edd5bfb95c0f29a9c7d40cf32b4f60_original.jpg

As a grown man, I shake in terror to see the devastation wrought by his ruthless pursuit of vengeance against the Thein. What inconceivable pain drove the most honorable and wisest man of my people to become our most terrible weapon I do not know. But I hope to the skies the Thein find a way to escape from this wretched valley before Arakas shadow falls upon them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3096207

Article about Choices & Consequences, 60% funded, the cooking recipe contest results

Some News

The recipe contest is closed and we have results!

e881e608a7161299775fa389862d8afb_original.jpg

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to everyone for giving us many ideas to include in our game.

Tomorrow a new contest will launch! ^^

We are 60%+ funded, getting closer to 100%, and stretch goals! Thank you! ^_^

962a0a0ee67980ab53030e95c34546a8_original.jpg

We have three community goals head to head in a race to unlock the next community goal.

Kickstarter 21 more backers. Twitter only 45 followers left. And Discord 32 members. When one of these unlocks we'll host a live stream where we'll design a pet based on your suggestions and comments! The pet will become part of the game and will be available to everyone.

acae1f7d3b9677072ba753739debee34_original.jpg

This week's choice was the C&C article. You can choose the topic for the next:

Options 1: Crafting - types of recipes and crafting mechanics in The Way of Wrath

Options 2: Equipment Design - How do we design weapons and armor found in the game

Options 3: The Fort - Learn more about a fort that will become a home base for you and your allies

Choices and Consequences
Choices and Consequences in interactive stories can be very exciting when done right, and they can be very frustrating and disappointing when they don’t quite work or matter in games.

6fbd23a71fe240bf5ef15be2b1bedad0_original.gif

Without some sort of futuristic storyteller AI’s, that can spin the tales in real-time and populate the game with cinematics, simulated voice acting and build new game maps in an instant. The C&C of video games will be a limited experience. There is only so much handcrafted content you can have in a game, and there is a limit to how long procedural stories can keep their impact.

But within these limitations, it’s possible to create engaging C&C stories that add to replay value and make your experience more personal.

So, what makes choices good and interesting? We believe the choices work best when they let you achieve your overarching plans and explore the personality of your character. Help to build relationships with other characters and challenge you with interesting dilemmas.

And they are at their worst when you are ambushed by unexpected choices with vague implications on their outcomes. That leave you confused and frustrated over being forced into picking between good old "bad & worse".

We try to include what we believe to be good values of C&C into the choices we design.

6fe040b38fd37af21ade240889471318_original.gif

When we iterate over our quest we ask ourselves.

Are you able to have agency over your story? Can you make your own plans and follow your own goals?

We try to design quests and gameplay in a way that clearly introduces you to the dilemmas and problems at hand. And after that gives you freedom and options to solve those dilemmas the way you see fit.

Almost every problem the player faces will have multiple solutions. Some tied to players' reputation or skills, some to previous choices, and others can be discovered through deeper exploration. There are many degrees to failure or success and there are no “wrong” choices.

Are you already invested enough into the world to care about the choice you make?

With our day passage system and personal stories for each NPC, you will get to know each character and faction very well over the course of the game. Choices you make will affect them deeply, and you will get to experience many consequences during your playthrough rather than only at the end of the story.

Does the dilemma make sense? Does it resonate with you?

We chose to focus the story on character conflicts and make their problems grounded in the reality of the setting. This way we get more opportunities to focus dilemma on things that feel relevant and real to the world you are exploring. Things that have more chances to make you really think about how you and your RP character would approach such problems.

c47723fd4eba4b9d7c03f1f20893abd4_original.gif

Are you able to make an impact on and share meaningful experiences with characters you care about? Listening to exciting character backgrounds can be fun, but if you don’t get to experience similar stories with those characters during gameplay it sometimes can feel like their best stories happened without you. We focused on exploring characters through shared experiences with players, rather than their past.

There are many more considerations that go into C&C, and we’ll explore them in future updates and quest design live-streams.

Tell us what you love or hate in C&C in the comments. We'd love to hear what you think!

Bountiful Life
Our friends from Alcinous Studios have launched a Kickstarter for The First Co-Op 3D Farming & Life Simulator - Bountiful Life. Where you can begin a new life. Work hard, enjoy friends and family, and explore your connection to the world.

Bountiful Life
is the next step in Farming & Life Simulator gaming. You've been tasked with the responsibility of taking over an abandoned rinky-dink farm. Maintain a source of income, create wholesome relationships with your friends and family, and discover yourself within Jubilee Village. Your time in Jubilee revolves around the three core aspects of life; your work, your friends and family, and your connection with the world.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/animmal/the-way-of-wrath-rpg/posts/3096215

Article about your in-game home-base the Fort and the new Tribe-Wars community challenge

New Tattoo or Warpaint Community Challenge

To warm-up for our big fan art contest next week, let's start with the tattoo and warpaint Tribe-Wars challenge! Draw a tattoo or a warpaint design and submit your entry in the comments, on our discord, or on Twitter with hashtags #TheWayOfWrath #TribeWarsChallenge.

You can use one of our character's renders to draw your tattoo or warpaint designs. Or draw them in any other format you like. (Paper, Digital)

41d94d3509db4dc668449f711cc26fed_original.jpg

e08fb49bb0ed78a44f8ecf63812c2d82_original.jpg

You can use any tool you like to draw your submissions. One possibility is a free online web tool https://aggie.io

In the video below, you'll see how you can import our character render image and draw with a semi-opaque brush on top of it.

d9051c01dc28863bd93454cbb5ef3ee6_h264_base.jpg

The contest will close on February at 11 pm EST Feb 15 | 5 am CET Feb 16. Can't wait to see your designs!
Today's update introduces you to your homebase in the game. The Fort of The White Grave. Vote for the topic of the next update!

Option 1: Crafting - types of recipes and crafting mechanics in The Way of Wrath

Option 2: Equipment Design - How do we design weapons and armor found in the game

Option 3: Shamans - learn more about different types of shamans in Thein culture

The Fort - Introduction
You heaved a stone upon a stone to build your shelter and thus you’ve etched your mark on history.

The White Grave. A grim name for a grim place. A name given to the frozen valley and ruined fort nestled in its mountains. A land that spews hot fire from its depth, land of avalanches and landslides, land constantly reshaped. Land of deadly cold and blinding sun. Where nature's fury rages constant.

It’s said this place cannot be tamed, it shuns civilization, burying all signs of its existence. Only one structure stands in defiance of this claim.

Built from bones of the earth, the fort of the White Grave guards the only reliable passage through the, otherwise impenetrable, mountain range that split the Thein lands to the north from the Empire of the south. It has been a sight of many battles and bears scars from them all. This will be a place where players make their last stand against the fury of their countless enemies.

bb21e070c22a3750907c603125abb322_original.jpg

Fort is the heart of the game. It’s a home base and shelter for the player and their allies. Area of the final battle and many important events of the game. Most of the efforts go towards securing and rebuilding this place. It was, and is, the most challenging area of the game for us to design and it is immensely important for us to get this right.

fc91da2239d811c9bcb604d4c4f64ba6_original.gif

Visually we wanted the fort to be different and memorable so it could stand out, but also feel familiar and approachable. Fort architecture had to fit perfectly within the game world and the harsh mountainous landscape it was built in. It proved quite a challenge, and we looked at many of the earth’s cultures for inspiration. In an effort to understand how the lands have shaped the cultures of the people living on them and how the people would shape and transform the land.

For some elements, we didn’t have to look far. Our home country Georgia is in the mountainous region of the Caucasus, and there are several regions within the country like Tusheti and Svaneti where even today people live in very harsh landscapes and natural conditions. Famous towers and rock structures created by peoples and nations of the Caucasus mountains were a perfect base for sparking our architectural designs. For others we had to make long journeys through time and space, scouring the prehistoric world for its architectural legacies.

3d2af71d0b4ba0d6ffa22ab56648a90d_original.jpg

When we started thinking about the fort, the first thing that came to both of our minds was that we wanted it to feel like home. We thought of our favorite exploration games and those towns, houses, or spots on the map we loved to return to, time and time again, after our long adventures. And this has been a constant guiding point in our efforts at building the fort, to capture the magic of that experience.

3f299b2c58c7f65ec4206133bd676947_original.gif

Things like this are a big reason we really want to develop The Way of Wrath with the community. We need your help and input in shaping this place to be the most memorable, engaging, and personal experience it can be. We are putting all our efforts, experience, and knowledge into getting this right. But, ultimate the game is to be experienced by you, the players, and with the genre, as complex as a role-playing game, it is almost always your input that turns the game into a great and engaging experience. We hope you’ll support and help us in this endeavor.

Pine: A Story-Driven Game
Our friends at Made Up Games launched a Kickstarter campaign for a very unique story-driven game experience Pine.

Pine
is a story-driven game about loss and letting go, told from the perspective of a grieving woodworker. A blend of illustration, animation, music, and sound, Pine tells its story wordlessly through interactions that pull you into the woodworker's experience as he struggles to hold on to his past.

Fargus

Arcane
The game really looks interesting, even though all these norse themed games are making me puke at this point. Maybe i'll give it a try when it's done.

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
The game really looks interesting, even though all these norse themed games are making me puke at this point. Maybe i'll give it a try when it's done.
Thanks! There are elements of Scandinavian culture and many others (Mongol, Caucasian, Celtic, Innuit and many others), but it's not really norse themed.

The setting is more pre-historic/bronze age inspired alternative earth. The main idea is to have a tribe that you follow through history, playing influential figures in the life of this tribe. As the technological advancements, new ideologies, religions, expansions, etc. change the setting and the fate of your tribe. Northern nomads of the first game might turn into a desert empire in the X-th etc.

Having fun with a lot of "What if's" of history, within a fictional alternate setting where you get to experience the world through the eyes of ancient humans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom