Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - Kickstarter Live

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bethesda has been doing this as far back as Oblivion. The environments are procedurally generated at design time then they begin working on the output.
It's clearly an underused area of development though, you can generate the basis of a dungeon in a few clicks then begin iterating upon it rather than having to repeatedly make them from scratch.

AFAIK Bethesda only does this for the overworld terrain (and there is a tool for generating terrains) but they don't actually make everything like that and their world isn't procedural - after they generate it, they save it on disk as if it was made manually.

When i was at CDPR during Witcher 3 this is also what the designers did - though instead of being some editor tool, the terrain was made using an external tool (IIRC it was World Machine). The terrain was imported to the editor and the "painted on" with the terrain materials and placed everything else by hand (there was also some manual terrain modifications of course). I'd expect Bethesda's approach to be pretty much the same, judging from the tools they have released and their presentations over the years. I think the biggest difference would be that the artists at the time didn't make as modular 3D assets as those Bethesda's designers did (though IIRC there was a lot of texture reuse).

But none of that is what i have in mind - what i think is really way closer to Daggerfall than any later game Bethesda made. However it isn't exactly Daggerfall either because there is some high level manual design (e.g. where cities would be, how biomes would be set up, how dangerous areas would be, etc). Of course it is possible to just save everything on disk since despite being procedural it is also a static world in practice, but it'd probably take too much space to be practical even with decade old art asset quality. AFAIK even in Far Cry 4 with its at the time state of the art asset quality they used procedural generation for the terrain details alone instead of storing it on disk (this was referenced in passing in a presentation about Far Cry 4's use of virtual texturing so i'm not sure about the details). Pretty much everything i've described has been done in part in one game or another, it is just that i can't think of a game that combines them like the one i described in my original post a couple of days ago.

FriendlyMerchant

Minecraft. Valheim.

Minecraft is really just a sandbox.
Quite literally sometimes
SGlNbdH.jpg

grimace

Arcane
screenshot2022-09-16aewfhd.png

r/CouncilOfWisdom
Posted by
u/Wyald-fire
Dev

We're making a spiritual successor to The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, so what better way to train our team than making them run through the opening dungeon? Tune in Sept. 20th at 3:30 PM ET/19:30 GMT to see who made it out, and who fell victim to the rats, bats or dreaded imps.​

Butter

Arcane
Patron

tl;dw: half of them die to the imp, the tranny dies to 41% drunkenness, the morbidly obese one gets a crash, and the soyjak escapes.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Ah. Now I understand. They're paying their peoples to play video games rather than actually making the games. See this is smart. Through the power of osmosis and assimilation of playing; they're going to magically understand how to make modern Daggerfall. Makes sense.
If you try to make a spiritual successor to something it stands to reason you ought to know how it plays. Even it this won't cover the kitchen's side of things. Or you would rather have developers making spiritual successors (and remakes, etc.) without any idea of what they're dealing with?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Or you would rather have developers making spiritual successors (and remakes, etc.) without any idea of what they're dealing with?
Here's a mind blowing idea: make something, anything. Open it to feedback among peers within the company. Then go from there. Or go through public demos letting experienced Daggerfall players pick and poke at it.

grimace

Arcane
Has the GOG crew improved their version of Daggerfall Unity?
Or better off downloading Daggerfall Unity vanilla manually?

https://af.gog.com/game/daggerfall_unity_gog_cut?as=1649904300

Play a reimagined version of the all-time RPG classic from The Elder Scrolls series. Daggerfall Unity – GOG Cut brings this amazing experience to modern gamers. It has been made possible thanks to a whole team of passionate creators working under the banner of Daggerfall Unity.

• GTX660 (or equivalent) and higher with 2GB of RAM
  • 4 GB
  • Intel i5 (or equivalent) and higher
  • Windows 7 or greater

Firstly, it runs EXTREMELY poorly. choppy and slow. and beyond that, strangely, the first character i created made it through the into cave no problem, but LITERALLY every single character after that cant even damage the imp and dies right there, every time, all the time. so the game itself is not very great either. on that first character that managed to make it through, the game was very ugly and a pain to navigate for the little bit i played, which mostly consisted on running to every single building in a city, because no one in town would be nice enough to give me directions to the one i needed. dont waste your time, pretend to play a game instead, it will be more fun.

GOG Cut comes with some problems.
1. I have two PCs, one a bit more powerful than the other. On the more powerful GOG Cut runs fine, even with slowdowns. On my other PC it just crashes. They both have plenty of RAM and 6GB/8GB GPU.
2. Loading times are ... abysmal on both systems.
3. It presents some challenges with mods and core updates. Not sure how/if this will be handled.
4. More difficult to personalise the cut
5. (this is personal) I would have included some additional mods that would have made a nice difference overall.

None of the problems seems to occur in my manual installation.
Still, I think this is a huge undertaking by GOG and people that never played Daggerfall should jump on it (if it runs on their systems...).

I don't think any thought put into this choosing particular collection of mods: it isn't particularly stable or performance-friendly. Frankly, you'd be better off just downloading Daggerfall Unity vanilla and piecing together mods as the need arises, because this "cut" does a disservice to the game.
https://af.gog.com/game/daggerfall_unity_gog_cut?as=1649904300

Harthwain

Magister
Here's a mind blowing idea: make something, anything. Open it to feedback among peers within the company. Then go from there.
Mind blowing indeed. Except "opening it to feedback among peers within the company" is useless when said "peers" didn't play the original game. This is why experience with the game you're trying to adhere to is crucial and why the lack of thereof so often shows when someone pretends to make a spiritual successor of something.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Join Wayward Realms artist David, AKA "Arcvein," along with OnceLost Games Community Manager Victor, while our community helps us design an all new character for the Wayward Realms!

Streamed live on Discord, October 30, 2022

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh:

In what can only be described as madness, Ted did an AMA with his mom on Christmas Eve on the way to the airport. This is the result. There is even a special appearance by Julian.

Please be aware that there are some audio/visual hiccups due to the nature of the stream.

Reminds me of Shroud of the Avatar 10 years ago.

There was no game to show so artists showed game loading screens they were commissioned to 'paint'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pvU1Z_01RQ

This is why in my projects I advocate for designing and implimenting game mechanics BEFORE art passes. I'd rather have white boxes and manequin player characters that give you a good idea of the game itself and it's mechanics than a bunch of fancy concept art that almost never makes it into the game and never actually tells you what a game is meant to be. It becomes very easy to just focus on art because it offers promises. But without the reality of that stuff you like not being workable in the engine or time you have.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So, honestly curious. How many of these "original devs of X game make a comeback" projects actually succeeded? The only one I tracked recently was Underworld Ascendant, which... y'know.

Codex Year of the Donut
So, honestly curious. How many of these "original devs of X game make a comeback" projects actually succeeded? The only one I tracked recently was Underworld Ascendant, which... y'know.
the original dev of Divine Divinity made the two best-selling turn-based RPGs of all time :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom