Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - Kickstarter Live

Azdul

Magister
Imagine at any point saying that all kickstarters are scams, and then giving funds to people who outright say they'll use your money to look for a publisher.

ROFL.

The games industry is a joke.
Every competent Kickstarter game had a publisher before it was even released - as potential audience was at least 50x bigger than people who paid 2 years in advance.

Only if a game is complete disaster - and no publisher wants to touch it - it gets self-published exclusively on Steam - to somehow 'fulfill' Kickstarter promises.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Imagine at any point saying that all kickstarters are scams, and then giving funds to people who outright say they'll use your money to look for a publisher.

ROFL.

Every competent Kickstarter game had a publisher before it was even released - as potential audience was at least 50x bigger than people who paid 2 years in advance.

Only if a game is complete disaster - and no publisher wants to touch it - it gets self-published exclusively on Steam - to somehow 'fulfill' Kickstarter promises.
Finding a big publisher is just asking to be fucked. Asking for money so you can find someone to fuck you is an absurd position.

Games don't cost 50 million dollars to make. Especially not procgen unreal projects in 2024.

Gargaune

Arcane
Finding a big publisher is just asking to be fucked. Asking for money so you can find someone to fuck you is an absurd position.

Games don't cost 50 million dollars to make. Especially not procgen unreal projects in 2024.
According to the link Harthwain posted here, the project was allegedly offered some $8 million back in 2019, but then they decided to ask for $12 mil "to compete with Cyberpunk and the next Elder Scrolls" and the publisher decided it'd be better if they just stayed friends.

Azdul

Magister

ROFL.

When digital PC/Steam version in English is more or less completed and has potential - not going for international multi-platform release with proper marketing budget would be stupid.

Even small publisher has infinitely more experience with translations, physical versions, dealing with EGS / GOG / Sony / Nintendo/ Microsoft and handling marketing campaigns than developer.

Developers can spend resources to learn how to deal with all those things - or concentrate on making another game.

Usually taking X% of royalties from Switch or German version - and letting publisher handle these versions makes more sense than not having these versions at all.

Gargaune

Arcane
When digital PC/Steam version in English is more or less completed and has potential - not going for international multi-platform release with proper marketing budget would be stupid.

Even small publisher has infinitely more experience with translations, physical versions, dealing with EGS / GOG / Sony / Nintendo/ Microsoft and handling marketing campaigns than developer.

Developers can spend resources to learn how to deal with all those things - or concentrate on making another game.

Usually taking X% of royalties from Switch or German version - and letting publisher handle these versions makes more sense than not having these versions at all.
That's not what they're pitching here though:

Our goal is to raise $500,000 to fund one year of development on an Early Access build that will feature preliminary versions of key systems. It is our aim to then take that Early Access build to publishers to seek out further funding and continue development on the rest of the game.

It's literally "give us 500k so we can make a publisher demo, then they'll fund the actual game you'll absolutely totally eventually get maybe."

Vulpes

Scholar
All Bethesda games after Daggerfall are slop. By what metric is Morrowind a good RPG? By how alien the world is? Sure, if you've never heard of Indian culture before, it has that going for it, even if the world is still an unappealing mix of different shades of grey and brown. It's one of the most tedious and unchallenging RPGs I've ever played. The spell and class system are a step backwards from Daggerfall in terms of usefulness and customizability. The quests, despite being handmade and not randomly generated like Daggerfall, are still as simple as they were back then. It's a half-baked game overrated by pseudointellectual hipsters who have deluded themselves into thinking it's super deep with some kind of super complex mathematic shit going on in the background, when in reality it has the most basic and straightforward kind of systems you can come up with for a RPG. You don't even have to worry about your build because there is nothing stopping you from having 100 in every single skill and level scaling isn't as prominent as it in new titles. Fuck, you can be good at anything at any point of the game by just spamming the trainers like a retard because money is painfully easy to come by.

Even Arx Fatalis is a million times better and it was Arkane's very first title. Arx has an actual combat system that isn't just spamming the left mouse button and hoping you actually hit something. It has an engaging and immersive magic system that demands effort from the player (both in terms of collecting and casting spells), rather than just spamming a button and hoping your spell works like a bumbling idiot.

Vulpes

Scholar
By what metric is Morrowind a good RPG? By how alien the world is? Sure, if you've never heard of Indian culture before
TIL: India is a mysterious far-off land of giant mushrooms and mechanical spiders.
The shrooms and spiders are there to represent everything that ended up in Kirkbride's mouth as he was laying on his apartment floor stoned out of his mind trying to think of names for his version of Moksha (CHIM) and Samsara (Kalpa). And why do you think there are no toilets in Morrowind? Because everyone shits in the streets. Now that's what I call real representation!

Praise Vivek!!!
1705172512560.png

Harthwain

Magister
All Bethesda games after Daggerfall are slop. By what metric is Morrowind a good RPG? By how alien the world is? Sure, if you've never heard of Indian culture before, it has that going for it, even if the world is still an unappealing mix of different shades of grey and brown.
Good or bad is debatable (I can see why someone could dislike it), but Morrowind is without a shadow of doubt it is an interesting game.

It had amazing visuals at the time (the sky is still great to look at), it had a huge open 3D world that was almost seamless (indoors being the exception), the setting itself was interesting to explore thanks of its uniqueness (especially when compared to other games, not just cRPGs, then and now) and it managed to be a mix of an action game with RPG mechanics where skill of the character is way more important that skill of the player (something you can't say about most action cRPGs).

Lemming42

Arcane
MW's appeal is pretty much the same as other Todd games, it's an open world with no real rules where you can (theoretically) go anywhere and do anything, and approach things in any way you want. Obviously the problems arise when you try to do basically anything other than hit shit with an axe/fry shit with a fireball and discover that the game either has no systems to accomodate you, has very shallow and broken systems (stealth, speechcraft, etc), or just outright refuses to acknowledge what you're trying to do. And add to that the fact that even the systems which the game does expect you to use (ie combat) are broken and shitty, and the fact that the open world turns out to be almost entirely static and unreactive and that almost nothing you do is ever actually going to matter or affect anything or even be acknowledged.

All the Todd games (MW/Oblivion/Skyrim) are frustrating as fuck because they're perpetually on the brink of being really good, but basically every single thing you do just ends up revealing that more and more of the game's promises are false. I think there's still not much else like them and that Bethesda deserve credit for trying things that nobody else was during a time when innovation and experimentation in games was on a massive downturn, even if they consistently went about it in the most lazy and low-ambition way possible, to the point where even a bunch of jokers like Obsidian could absolutely smoke them with NV.

That's where the lively modding scenes for those three latter TES games come in, I think - people are motivated to put a ton of effort into these games because you can kind of see the outline of something brilliant which is waiting to come to fruition, even though it never does. Over a decade later and I'm still hoping someone somehow hits on a Skyrim modlist which will turn it into the game it should have been but never will be.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Later TES games are GTA clones with interiors, slapped on RPG systems and slighter worse writing.

:smug:

Harthwain

Magister
Almost all of the things you've mentioned were done far better by Gothic 1 :positive:
That's a weird argument to make. I like Gothic 1, although for different reasons (by the way, both Gothic and Morrowind are my top 10 cRPGs). But even if I were to agree (for the sake of an argument) that Gothic 1 is "far better" than Morrowind, it doesn't invalidate anything I said about why Morrowind is an interesting game in its own right, which was the whole point.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
MW's appeal is pretty much the same as other Todd games, it's an open world with no real rules where you can (theoretically) go anywhere and do anything, and approach things in any way you want. Obviously the problems arise when you try to do basically anything other than hit shit with an axe/fry shit with a fireball and discover that the game either has no systems to accomodate you, has very shallow and broken systems (stealth, speechcraft, etc), or just outright refuses to acknowledge what you're trying to do. And add to that the fact that even the systems which the game does expect you to use (ie combat) are broken and shitty, and the fact that the open world turns out to be almost entirely static and unreactive and that almost nothing you do is ever actually going to matter or affect anything or even be acknowledged.

All the Todd games (MW/Oblivion/Skyrim) are frustrating as fuck because they're perpetually on the brink of being really good, but basically every single thing you do just ends up revealing that more and more of the game's promises are false. I think there's still not much else like them and that Bethesda deserve credit for trying things that nobody else was during a time when innovation and experimentation in games was on a massive downturn, even if they consistently went about it in the most lazy and low-ambition way possible, to the point where even a bunch of jokers like Obsidian could absolutely smoke them with NV.

That's where the lively modding scenes for those three latter TES games come in, I think - people are motivated to put a ton of effort into these games because you can kind of see the outline of something brilliant which is waiting to come to fruition, even though it never does. Over a decade later and I'm still hoping someone somehow hits on a Skyrim modlist which will turn it into the game it should have been but never will be.
Much of Morrowind's appeal also comes from its rich Lore.
One of the most interesting in the whole series.
Daggerfall also had great Lore and story.

Vulpes

Scholar
Almost all of the things you've mentioned were done far better by Gothic 1 :positive:
That's a weird argument to make. I like Gothic 1, although for different reasons (by the way, both Gothic and Morrowind are my top 10 cRPGs). But even if I were to agree (for the sake of an argument) that Gothic 1 is "far better" than Morrowind, it doesn't invalidate anything I said about why Morrowind is an interesting game in its own right, which was the whole point.
I mentioned Gothic because you made it sound like Morrowind was doing something ground-breaking. Nevertheless, these points don't make up for how basic, buggy and janky the core experience (gameplay, quests, NPCs, etc.) is. So much so that the advice most new players get is to heavily metagame (have the wiki open at all times) and/or abuse bugs that break the balance.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Much of Morrowind's appeal also comes from its rich Lore.
One of the most interesting in the whole series.
Daggerfall also had great Lore and story.
Morrowind's appeal comes from atmosphere, you are right. Gameplay is total shit - just look At MW thread here - people discussing what is the best way to nerf economy/progression, trying to polish turd.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Later TES games are GTA clones with interiors, slapped on RPG systems and slighter worse writing.

They would support a criminal playthrough better if that were true.
Seeing how Skyrim was basically a meme about buckets on shopkeeper heads and hording sweetrolls, I'd say TES actually beats GTA on crime simulation.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

They would support a criminal playthrough better if that were true.
Seeing how Skyrim was basically a meme about buckets on shopkeeper heads and hording sweetrolls, I'd say TES actually beats GTA on crime simulation.
It does have a pretty cool Thieves Guild questline.
Mercer Frey (leader of the Thieves Guild) was voiced by Stephen Russell aka Garrett.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom