Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - Kickstarter Live

Harthwain

Magister
I mentioned Gothic because you made it sound like Morrowind was doing something ground-breaking.
It WAS impressive, even if we look at it from the technical standpoint alone. Personally I think Gothic is different from Morrowind. Enough so that 1:1 comparison is not really going to work.

Nevertheless, these points don't make up for how basic, buggy and janky the core experience (gameplay, quests, NPCs, etc.) is.
That's one opinion. The core experience may have been basic or janky, but it had its charm, otherwise I wouldn't become the cult classic it is now.

So much so that the advice most new players get is to heavily metagame (have the wiki open at all times) and/or abuse bugs that break the balance.
:what:

Not sure what's the point of having a wiki open at all times. I never really had problems finding stuff, and that was before wikis even became a thing. Same goes for RECOMMENDING to "abuse bugs that break the balance". You are going to become too powerful simply by playing the game normally. There is really no need to metagame anything. One thing you could recommend is visual upgrade (and maybe some quality of life changes), but nothing major in terms of gameplay.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Here's the plan:
  1. Kickstart a "demo".
  2. Use the money to screw around for a year.
  3. Take whatever random crap they have when the money runs out onto the publisher circuit.
  4. Fail to get a deal because their "demo" is crap.
  5. Blame the publishers for not recognizing their genius.
Julian will probably take about $100-120K for a year, Ted will cut in about $80-$100K. That would leave about $300K for 12 months of production for a team of about 15 people. Averaging about $20K/y for an individual paycheck.
This would all mean that most of the team will not work on the project full time [Julian and Ted excluded and maybe few others], probably just keep doing what they did up until now [volunteer hours], so putting in about 14h per week,...just this time they will get payed for that amount of [work].
Kickstarter money will last one year for sallaries.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Horse jpegs? Why?

And looking at those tiers? Yeah... a big FUCK NO!!!!

Did stirring dragon choose Grand Inquisitor, Nymph, of Deity tier? Guess where your KS money for their game went? To any of the 70+ KS they helped fund.

I bet these fuckers might do this too. Mmmm hmmmmm. Lotta buckaroos for.... grief.

ADL

Prophet
The fact you trusted them with at least 40 buckaroos says something. At thus point just fuck it and hop aboard the trainwreck
$40 is nothing and I can afford to burn it just to send the message of wanting Daggerfall 2 but the way they're conducting this campaign and sabotaging their funding, which they admit they need to invest in a vertical slice to secure publishing is retarded. This is not how you conduct a Kickstarter campaign.

I never liked Kickstarter and crowdfunding...
Feels like throwing your money in the wind.
A good majority of my favorite games of the past decade are crowdfunded, but I've gotten burned a handful of times. Even with the stinkers I'm glad it exists as an alternative to the traditional publishing model and even early access.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The fact you trusted them with at least 40 buckaroos says something. At thus point just fuck it and hop aboard the trainwreck
$40 is nothing and I can afford to burn it just to send the message of wanting Daggerfall 2 but the way they're conducting this campaign and sabotaging their funding, which they admit they need to invest in a vertical slice to secure publishing is retarded. This is not how you conduct a Kickstarter campaign.

I never liked Kickstarter and crowdfunding...
Feels like throwing your money in the wind.
A good majority of my favorite games of the past decade are crowdfunded, but I've gotten burned a handful of times. Even with the stinkers I'm glad it exists as an alternative to the traditional publishing model and even early access.
It really is like gambling.
Even if you pick a relatively promising project with a cohesive and creative team, it is still not a guarantee that the project will push through and succeed.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Horse jpegs? Why?

He's a Star Citizen fan.

Imagine getting a loaner ship and waiting 10 years for your jpg to be implemented.
I'd probably be slightly annoyed if I were a Banu Merchantman owner sure, but you know what would annoy me more? Having a ship but not being able to use it functionally beyond flying it and sleeping in it and perhaps storing some weapons/cargo in it. No thanks, I'll take the C2 and Banu Defender in the meantime. That's a badass pairing to enjoy in the meantime.

The small handful of ships that haven't been delivered for 3+ years beyond their concept is so inconsequential it's hardly worth discussing unless you want to nitpick.
Do you have any fucking proof Alex or is this more of your copiuim bullshit?
Given that they intend on soft launching the game in Q4 2025, they'll have more than just Stanton and Pyro. Just a hunch.

Star Citizen's doing it right and overpriced ship sales are a small price to pay for it.

etc.

Gargaune

Arcane
500 000 $ goal was just reached.
Heh, now the fun begins:

FAQ said:
How long after Early Access until the full game releases?
We don’t have a concrete answer for this, the reason being that we will be seeking out further funding from traditional routes in order to finish the game and we don’t know how long that will take. Our aim is to keep everyone updated on progress and milestones.

P.S. You know, since we're already griping, this sort of thing also really rubs me the wrong way:

We want to encourage those who want to see this kind of game made, but can't pledge high amounts, to support us at the lowest tiers: Benefactor & Wanderer. These tiers are arguably the most important, as a high number of backers will be instrumental in proving something that we have been saying for years – that players still crave this kind of game.

Those tiers being the no-reward $7 and the "five wallpapers" $15 - basically, "we encourage people to support us in exchange for absolutely nothing." And keep in mind this isn't the Patreon model either, where even when you're supporting an author who doesn't offer concrete, transactional rewards, they're still making something that you get to partake of, whether it's illustrations or mods or whatever. No, in this scenario you're giving them some money and if the game ever does come out, you'll be paying full price for it, you don't even get a discount coupon.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, it is not, so, even though I am reluctant to do so, I have canceled my pledge. If, at this point against all reasonable expectations, they should still manage to pull the rabbit out of the hat, I will evaluate at the time whether or not to buy the game. For now, I'm out.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
No, it is not, so, even though I am reluctant to do so, I have canceled my pledge. If, at this point against all reasonable expectations, they should still manage to pull the rabbit out of the hat, I will evaluate at the time whether or not to buy the game. For now, I'm out.
A sensible decision.
As I said, Kickstarters and crowdfunding should be scrutinized very carefully.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
At the very least, if they go one year with radio silence, we'll know what happened.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In this video we dive into, we introduce you to the team and chat about what does it mean to be Wayward and what experience do we want the players to gain from it. We showcase concept art & gameplay footage along with taking a moment to remember a close friend & colleague, Frank Nadeau- mastermind behind The Wayward Realms Dwarfs, their culture, & so much more.

A spiritual successor to the Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, The Wayward Realms, a medieval fantasy roleplaying game led by industry veterans Ted Peterson & Julian Lefay, that aims to bring the "old-school" design philosophies of Classic RPGs together with the latest technology and quality of life improvements, courtesy of Unreal Engine 5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom